TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Woman discovers she is pregnant...on a roller coaster??

Mother spent hours on roller-coaster ride – unaware she was pregnant and about to give birth

A mother spent hours being thrown around a corkscrew-style roller-coaster ride – unaware she was pregnant and about to give birth.

By Lucy Cockcroft

Last Updated: 12:44AM GMT 17 Dec 2008

Issy McMurdo was taken to hospital just days later with excruciating stomach cramps which she believed had been caused by something she had eaten.

But nurses told the surprised 21-year-old that she was actually in labour.

Miss McMurdo, a barmaid, said: "It was a massive shock when they gave me a scan and told me I was in labour.

"I simply had no idea I was pregnant. I thought I had just put on a little bit of weight.

"Then when my ankles swelled up I assumed it was because I was on my feet all the time at the pub.

"I even went to Alton Towers where pregnant women are warned not to go on the rides. I was flung upside down on the Air ride at speeds of up to 50mph and hurled down drops of 53ft, so it was quite lucky I didn't go into labour there."

Miss McMurdo, from Leaminton Spa, Warwickshire, was still working long night shifts right before giving birth to 6lb 2oz Oscar.

Her boyfriend, Barry Humber, 22, said: "Issy had terrible stomach pains after coming over to my flat.

"Twenty-four hours later our little boy was born.

"Oscar is the best Christmas present anyone could ask for. We are very lucky"

LINK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3797441/Mother-spent-hours-on-roller-coaster-ride---unaware-she-was-pregnant-and-about-to-give-birth.html

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Wow...... I hope that baby doesn't have problems in the future, although it is likely. That's amazing!

The baby's mother was too dumb to know she was pregnant with her, of course the child will have problems in the future!

I'm just assuming that the mother drank alot while pregnant considering she worked at a pub, that baby is gunna have some problems.

Now did she really say "at speeds of up to 50mph and hurled down drops of 53ft"? 53? 53? Maybe I'm just in shock it's not an American saying "Yep I went on that thar big coaster thing and he just popped out." That's really bizarre she could fit comfortably in a flying coaster seat, yet not know she's pregnant...

I've heard of instances before of women not knowing they were pregnant until they had the baby, but I still find that unbelievable. So many things happen to your body while pregnant, aside from just gaining weight, that I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't even suspect it.

Women not knowing they are pregnant can happen quite alot. Ususally because the baby is small and lies on the mothers back, rather than near the front, so you don't get the full 'bump'. A lot of women don't have regular periods so its easy to just pass it off as another iregular, and swollen feet can also be passed off. The mother puts on little weight, and can go without knowledge.

Still the mother and baby are reported to be doing well, which is good news.

This has to be one of the most stupid, unbelievable articles I've ever read.

Am I the only one who suspects attention seeking (i.e. LIES)?

Gumbo... that's a bit harsh.

But we'll chalk it up to you being young... you should take time to read more before you make such statements. This does actually happen.

I've heard of instances before of women not knowing they were pregnant until they had the baby, but I still find that unbelievable. So many things happen to your body while pregnant, aside from just gaining weight, that I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't even suspect it.

In the reports I saw, it was usually an overweight person delivering. She wouldn't really notice the weight gain or would chalk it up to them continually overeating. Also they would attribute any changes as a result of being overweight (for example the swollen ankles). It's like some people carrying around large 100 lb tumors that they thought was just fat from them being overweight.

Terry

How odd that this comes up a few days after I watched a show about women who did not know they were pregnant... But yes, this is by far not the first time something like this has happened. I just hope the child is okay, he/she received no neo-natal care, her mother probably drank like the pigs from Animal Farm,* considering she worked at a bar, AND she went into labor while on a Roller Coaster.

*Thats a hyperbole, I'm NOT saying she is an alcoholic or excessive drinker

It just seems inconceivable that a women could go through a 9 month pregnancy without realizing at some point that she was pregnant.

Now this particular women was able to ride a rollercoaster that went upside down, that would seem to imply that she Isn't a 'Great Big Fat Person'. (Silence of the lambs movie quote)

I suppose if she weighed 250-300 pounds, but even at that weight you think that you may have noticed the baby move/kick etc...

I guess that for my friends whom have had babies, there was know way to miss the fact that they were pregnant by there eighth or ninth month.

In any case, this isn't the first time this has occurred, so I guess anything is possible even if it's Highly improbable.

Yeah...as a woman who has had a kid there is no way I believe these people who claim not to know they were pregnant.

Even if you're fat, there are other things that happen to your body when you're pregnant that I'm not going to go into here!!!

I believe in the vast majority of these cases we're dealing with DENIAL!!!