TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Questionable Top 10 Coaster List

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son purchased a book entitled "Thrill Rides" published by Meredith Books, written by Mark Shulman. (Copyright date of 2007) On the cover it says: Top 10 Roller Coasters in America

What did your son say about the list? What is his top ten? I would bet "30 bucks" that his list would be better than the one in the book.

I would bet "30 euros" that Cameron would choose to have a good ice cream cone over riding half those coasters.

My son purchased a book entitled "Thrill Rides" published by Meredith Books, written by Mark Shulman. (Copyright date of 2007) On the cover it says: Top 10 Roller Coasters in America

What did your son say about the list? What is his top ten? I would bet "30 bucks" that his list would be better than the one in the book.

I would bet "30 euros" that Cameron would choose to have a good ice cream cone over riding half those coasters.

That is only your opinion. I happen to like every ride on this list. Maybe a few wouldn't be in my top ten, but just because you don't like them doesn't mean his son wouldn't.

Also, the person that started this thread doesn't want people to think that some rides are better than others because of the opinions stated in this book.

That is no different than many of the posts and threads in this forum. I grew up in California and love the parks and rides there but I can clearly see a bias' against many other parks on or near the east coast. Most people on this site favor SFMM to parks such as Cedar Point and it is quite clear from what I have read in many threads. Many people turn to this site to learn about parks and coasters and many will get the idea that Cedar Point is no good and Magic Mountain is so great. Well, I have been to both many times and I can honestly say that I think SFMM pales in comparison to Cedar Point, but that is simply my opinion. If people dont agree with me, who cares. The same idea should be applied to books and articles. You don't have to agree with any of them. There is no need to whine because your favorite coaster is not on this list. I would love to ride any of those top ten coasters right now and I would certainly prefer it over eating an ice cream cone.

I would love to ride any of those top ten coasters right now and I would certainly prefer it over eating an ice cream cone.

I'm looking looking to offend anyone or knock anyone's opinion. My comment was an inside joke as I have met PhillyGirl and her son on a trip and when I questioned her son about what he liked best at a park, he responded with "the ice cream". And there were very good coasters at that park.

I have the book. Although I have yet to ride El Toro, I'm debating weather or not El Toro will be better than SOB, same for Voyage. I'm a HUGE SOB fan and it's my favorite wooden coaster. I hate to say it, but I think I'll like El Toro better...

I really try to keep an open mind about things, but I was soooooo amped up about the opening of SoB the summer it debuted.. I waited 10 hours+ to ride it because it kept breaking down, and it was a total let down aside from the loop. The loop was one of the coolest loops I've ever been on, right up there with the first loop on Superman: Krypton Coaster. After they took the loop out, I gave it a chance, but I don't see how a couple helixes and 1 big, airtime-less drop can constitute a top-ten coaster on anybody's list. That said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I just don't understand logically how the layout of El Toro or Voyage alone, not even considering rolling stock, can be compared to that of SoB.

-James Dillaman

That is only your opinion. I happen to like every ride on this list. Maybe a few wouldn't be in my top ten, but just because you don't like them doesn't mean his son wouldn't.

Also, the person that started this thread doesn't want people to think that some rides are better than others because of the opinions stated in this book.

That is no different than many of the posts and threads in this forum. I grew up in California and love the parks and rides there but I can clearly see a bias' against many other parks on or near the east coast. Most people on this site favor SFMM to parks such as Cedar Point and it is quite clear from what I have read in many threads. Many people turn to this site to learn about parks and coasters and many will get the idea that Cedar Point is no good and Magic Mountain is so great. Well, I have been to both many times and I can honestly say that I think SFMM pales in comparison to Cedar Point, but that is simply my opinion. If people dont agree with me, who cares. The same idea should be applied to books and articles. You don't have to agree with any of them. There is no need to whine because your favorite coaster is not on this list. I would love to ride any of those top ten coasters right now and I would certainly prefer it over eating an ice cream cone.

And from a coaster standpoint many people would agree with you (I've never been to cedar point and I agree with you) but there is no charm what so ever at Cedar Fair. Sadly Magic Mountain has the second largest charm for a major So Cal amusement park after Disneyland and DCA. At Cedar Point parks(and most CF parks in general) You see Trashcan, huge top hat, no entertainers, trash can, trash can, Huge hyper coaster in the middle of everything,

Its nice when parks like SFMM(not the whole park, but particularly the area around Samurai Summit) still have some charm with Revolution, Tatsu, Goldrusher, and Ninja around the area. In my opinion charm and atmosphere mean almost as much as coasters. I am going to SFMM soon, but only try to go like once a year or less, because I am just there for coasters, nothing more,nothing less. At Disneyland(AP holder) I can easily spend a day there and have, at times, spent several days there without feeling bored. Disney resort parks have awesome atmospheres, and I'm really not there for the coasters, I mean I take a few rides on screamin and everything, but they are all beautifully themed. I also see the shows and ride the dark rides. At places like Knotts and SFMM I looks down and say "Wow concrete" or Wow parking lot."

Wow. This is wierd. I bought it also, just for curiosity. It says " First invert was BTR @ SFGAdv, but it is supposed to be SFGAme. This book does truly suck. I tried to go to the website but it didn't show a website. & on the poster it shows Wicked Twister with TTD in the back but it labels it "Wicked". Thats in Utah, not Sandusky. The book sucks. And the list is stupid. Everybodies lists are different but this one is just wrong. TTD is better than KK IMO.

Well, I have been to both many times and I can honestly say that I think SFMM pales in comparison to Cedar Point, but that is simply my opinion.

That sentence makes me very happy

It always amuses me to see the SFMM/CP fanboys fight over which collection of mediocre coasters is the better one...

Well, I have been to both many times and I can honestly say that I think SFMM pales in comparison to Cedar Point, but that is simply my opinion.

That sentence makes me very happy

It always amuses me to see the SFMM/CP fanboys fight over which collection of mediocre coasters is the better one...

Robb, I totally agree with you. Some of these people get so defensive like they are defending themselves, not a park. Whacky!

Wow, this went from making fun of a crappy book no one cares about. All the way into some little thing about CP and SFMM? Get over it, it's just a book, and a poor one at that.

I guess I'm just as bad though, I replied to this thread.

The point is that everyone has different preferences and are entitled to their opinions and top ten lists. Who cares what they are. This thread was started by someone who was upset that a kid's book favored certain coasters that he didn't agree with. Heaven forbid a coaster that he likes was excluded from a list or book. I believe he was most upset that some people might think that SOB is better than El Toro! LOL Again, who cares! The general public could care less. More than anything they just like looking at the pictures, especially the kids.

This whole thread was a waste from the start and I am suprised that Robb or one of the crew didn't lock or delete it from the beginning.