TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tivoli Gardens Discussion Thread

I believe this is a playground area across the lake from all of the thrill rides. After seeing everything the park has done, I have no doubt this addition will be great and only add to great park. I just hope it doesnt spoil the beauty of that side too much.

• 1 year later...

Tivoli has sent us a press release regarding their eighteenth Christmas in Tivoli event, running this year with a brand new Russian theme!

Christmas in Tivoli opens with new Russian theme

On 11 November, Tivoli in Copenhagen opens Christmas in Tivoli for the 18th time, now with a new Russian theme and a 2000 m2 city. Among the attractions of the Russian city is a Tivoli version of St. Basil's Cathedral known from the Red Square in the Kremlin, featuring a 21 m tower with onion domes and a carillon. The new Russian theme is to contribute to a renewal of Christmas in Tivoli and ensure an increase in the number of visitors during November and December. Christmas in Tivoli had almost 800,000 visitors last year.

It all happens in Tivoli from 11.11.2011 – 30.12.2011

”Tivoli will never be completed”, the founder of Tivoli, Georg Carstensen, said in 1845. With an investment of almost DKK 10 million in the Russian city, Tivoli cements its vision of ongoing innovation. The Russian city is inspired by the building style of the Czarist days with opulent onion domes, towers and precious carillons. Inside St. Basil's Cathedral, visitors can board a miniature version of the Trans-Siberian railway which will take them through Russian landscapes featuring pixies, angelic choirs and extravagant Fabergé eggs. St. Basil's Cathedral celebrates its 450th anniversary this year, and visitors can see a copy in Tivoli.

Lars Bernhard Jørgensen, CEO of Wonderful Copenhagen says:

“Events create unique experiences and attract tourists, and with the new Tivoli initiative the tourists get even more good reasons to visit Copenhagen in the wintertime. In later years more and more Christmas cruises have visited Copenhagen and for the cruise-passengers Tivoli is high on the list – and even more so with the new Christmas attraction. Many partners in Copenhagen co-operate to attract more visitors during the cold winter months, and the new Tivoli initiative shows the openness and innovation that Copenhagen is known for in creating events – such as the UCI Road World Championships taking place in the heart of Copenhagen at the moment”.

Lise Lyck, head of the Center for Tourism and Cultural Management at the Copenhagen Business School, says about Tivoli’s new initiative:

“Christmas is a family celebration where traditions are passed on from one generation to the next. Santa Claus, pixies, the Christmas tree, Christmas food, red colours and Christmas candles are integral parts of Christmas in Denmark. So creating and enriching its visitors with the experience of a foreign Christmas tradition is a bold and innovative step by Tivoli. If it is to be a success, the experience must be exciting, attractive, unique and give Tivoli’s visitors a valuable experience, i.e. it must comprise learning, entertainment, aesthetics and feed the imagination. It must appeal to the senses and invite active participation.”

Two years in the making

The Russian city has been two years in the making with Tivoli’s architects, set designers and gardeners drawing, travelling, developing new ideas and thinking out of the box. This means that the traditional Christmas tree at the fountain in front of the Concert Hall will be moved to the Russian city where it will rise as an iconic tower enveloped in thousands of lights. New stalls with towers and onion domes decorated with an abundance of ice crystals and spruce branches will be erected, creating a very special atmosphere in the Gardens. As usual, the Gardens will also be decorated with lots of lights, thousands of Christmas baubles and spruce trees.

Tivoli gets a new Santa Claus

In 2011, the traditional Santa Claus will be replaced by his Russian counterpart, Father Frost, who will enter the sleigh on the Open Air Stage in bluish, frosty colours. He is very like our own red Santa Claus and is regarded as the Russian version of the Western Santa Claus. He handles the heavy job of distributing gifts with the help of his lovely little grandchild, ”Snegurochka”, or the Snow Maiden. They present gifts and both take care of the animals of the woods during the cold season. Now Father Frost will be part of the Christmas experience in Tivoli.

Tivoli in brief

Since Georg Carstensen opened the gates of Tivoli in Copenhagen to visitors in 1843, the Gardens have become a top amusement park featuring the Tivoli Boys Guard, 26 rides, playgrounds, booths, restaurants, special days and concerts. At 167 years of age, Tivoli is among the world's oldest amusement parks, and its traditions and constant improvements make it a popular excursion spot for many visitors. Tivoli has about 4 million visitors every year, and 2010 saw the opening of the Tivoli Hotel, the first theme hotel in Copenhagen.

1896438264_RussisklgkuppelmonterespVasilijKatedralen.thumb.jpg.58cf274fff4e9d9b4da74f2e8811fa13.jpg

47878901_TivoliRussianChristmasVillage2011.thumb.JPG.d1dfc4987a068014dbc6fe1b721dbfaf.JPG

Edited by larrygator

• 1 year later...

Tivoli Garden's just announced their new for 2013 rides.

The new area of the park will be on a site that was former used for the employes of the park.

It will be home to an Zamperla Air Race, a junior drop tower, and a small aviator ride.

There is no confirmation on the manufacturers of the two smaller rides, but they are most likely also Zamperla.

The Air Race will go on a platform a few meters up in the air, similar to the Star Flyer.

The area will be themed to Tycho Brahe, same as the Star Flyer in the park.

More info,pictures and a Youtube video can be found here:

Tivoli's Homepage

The other two rides are almost definitely Zamperla...having worked on a Jumpin' Star 16 myself, at least that tower ride is almost certainly one.

I'm really liking the theming on that Air Race. I was wondering when we'd see a diversion from the standard airplane theme.

The kiddie-aeroplane ride is actually not a new ride for the park, it is a former ride in a new setting, shined up and re-themed. But boy do I look forward to the next two years in Scandinavia. Just read rumors at the coastersandmore.de site which said that Gerstlauer were to build a family LSM launched coaster in Tivoli next year. Anybody heard of that rumor? It was compared to Vilda-Musan in Grönalund, imho they should get something a little more kick-ass with an inversion or two

We've just started to talk about a trip to Denmark next summer with my friends, and this is good news! I'm already excited about Daemonen and the freakishly tall Star Flyer, but a Zamperla Air Race! I imagine it will be a somewhat similar ride to HUSS Flic Flac. Anyone got experience on either?

We've just started to talk about a trip to Denmark next summer with my friends, and this is good news! I'm already excited about Daemonen and the freakishly tall Star Flyer, but a Zamperla Air Race! I imagine it will be a somewhat similar ride to HUSS Flic Flac. Anyone got experience on either?

Air Race is much more enjoyable to ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So for you guys who are planning on going on the TPR Scandi trip next year you'll be able to ride Tivoli's oldest roller coaster Rutschebanen which is celebrating a century since it opened next year. The soon to be 100 year old coaster will be getting some well deserved facelift as it'll get back it's original design of mountain peaks and waterfalls. Copenhagen city council had the the mountain tops removed in the 1920's as they didn't like the idea of the sights of mountains when you exited the station building across the street.

Rutschebanen will feature two mountain peaks with the highest one at 26m high and a waterfall with a combined fall of 20m.

The investment will cost Tivoli 30 million kronor ($5.2million).

politiken.dk/ibyen/nyheder/gadeplan/ECE1934449/millionrenovering-skal-bringe-tivolis-rutsjebane-100-aar-tilbage-i-tiden/

PS: Is there no official Tivoli Garden thread?

^First, great to hear about the restoration of the the coaster's original look. I like this ride a lot, and this should make it even better.

Second, if you're wondering whether a park has its own discussion thread, just check the Park Discussion Thread Directory. It's one of the "stickies" at the top of the forum.

Edited by cfc