TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What book are you reading.

voodoobones

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut a couple of weeks ago. It starts very very strong, but I feel, as the books goes on, it gets weaker. But still a very good book.

I also finished Le Grand Secret (translated as The Immortals) by René Barjavel. Took me a long time to get into it. There is a lot of information thrown at you in the first 100 pages, but as the secret is revealed, it gets really really catchy.

I'm starting Othello by William Shakespeare tomorrow. English being my second language, it scares me, especially because I know I will be tested on the book. But I know I'll be able to make it since I already read Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Macbeth.

I am also reading at the moment a booked originally called La sombra del viento written by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. However, I'm reading the French translation which goes under the name of L'Ombre du Vent.

Inside the Hurricane: Face to Face with Nature's Deadliest Storms by Pete Davies

The author rides with National Hurricane Center researchers into the eye of the storm and tells fascinating stories about their research, how the storms form and the devastating results when they come ashore.

• 2 weeks later...

90% of the time I'm reading textbooks for school Last non-school book I've read was Bloodline by Sydney Sheldon. His books are like crack for me; they're suspenseful and good if you need a simple story to waste a few hours.

I've also been reading The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge. It's a non-fiction book and talks about the brain and it's plasticity. It's really, really fascinating, IMO. If I had the time/money/patience, I'd go to medical school to study the brain/abnormal psychology

I'm currently reading "Dewey" which is a story about a cat from Spencer, Iowa. The cat was found in the town's library return drop box. The cat was stuffed into the slot at night during one of the most cold nights ever that year. The library took the cat in and towards it's stardom.

The book highlights major parts of the librarian's life with the cat and how special Dewey was to not just her, but the entire town of Spencer. Its a feel good book so far. I haven't finished it yet, but will very soon. Its an easy read.

Oh, and its a real story, not fiction. If you like cats, I highly suggest it.

• 1 month later...
I'm starting Othello by William Shakespeare tomorrow. English being my second language, it scares me, especially because I know I will be tested on the book. But I know I'll be able to make it since I already read Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Macbeth.

I am also reading at the moment a booked originally called La sombra del viento written by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. However, I'm reading the French translation which goes under the name of L'Ombre du Vent.

I am now done with the two books. I struggled reading Othello but thanks to Sparknotes. Shadow of the Wind (L'Ombre du Vent) was VERY good.

I am not reading anything right now but the next on the list is The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. My Grandma really wants me to read it. She says it's life changing.

• 1 month later...

I am twice sorry.

1- For bringing back an old topic

2- For the double post (even though there's a month and a half between the two).

I started The Four Agreements, but it's really not my kind of thing. It's not a long book at all (about 150 pages max), but don't know if I'll finish it. (I'm done with the first quarter).

I am currently reading Life of Pi.

Life of Pi? I found that book...incredibly disturbing, beyond anything I'd ever read.

I'm finishing a memoir called If I am Missing or Dead. It's about a woman and her sister and about how they both spend most of their lives in highly dysfunctional relationships, with dramatic and tragic results. If you are a woman, it will make you consider hating, fearing, and avoiding men for the rest of your life! (So don't read it if you're extremely impressionable.)

Just recently finished "Passage" by Connie Willis.. its a great Sci-Fi "ish" Fiction Novel about near death experiences and what happens to people (rather WHERE DO THEY GO) during them... I really enjoyed it... I've also read "Doomsday Book" also by Connie Willis about time travel and the study and attempt to prevent plagues... I like the 4 books I've read by Connie Willis so far and recommend checking some of her books out... especially the ones mentioned above..

But currently I'm re-reading the "Dark Tower" series by Stephen King, in hopes this time to make it all the way through... the first time I made it to the middle of the 4th book "Wizard and Glass" but found it to drag too much to finish... well now I'm on the 2nd book again "The Drawing of the Three" and slowly chipping away at this series one more time... I'm not thinking I'll make to ALL the way to the end sadly... (I know my reading habits all too well, and get distracted easily when reading...)

I'm trying to read a book called Amusing Ourselves to Death. It's not about amusement parks, nor is it about...well, anyway, it's about television. Or at least, it's supposed to be, but it's a philosophy book, so it gets into a lot of other stuff. It was assigned for school, and it's not the "worst" philosophy text I've ever attempted reading. However, I think they all go beyond my comprehension and/or interest to some degree, often a great degree.