TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

All Things "Twilight"

Hello,

I have to confess that I pooh-poohed the books when my co-workers where discussing this "great book about vampires". However, I finally caved in an read the first book, unbelievable...and now that I'm reading the second book, I can’t put it down.

I wanted to start a topic on my newfound obsession and I wanted to know your thoughts on it/your reaction to the movie or books. Would you compare this series to the Harry Potter books?

Also, what do you think about the characters...or if you are like me wondering what is going to happen to "Bella". Or do you like "Jacob" or "Edward" better for her.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I have read any of these books, but I HAVE been to Forks, Washington. It's a hard place to get to (Four hours driving, and more if you have to wait at the Edmonds ferry landing or the Hood Canal Bridge drawspan).

Forks is a hardscrabble logging town that was having a hard time staying stuck to the earth, which is hard given the winds and winter storms on that side of the Olympic Peninsula. However, the setting is unbelievably gorgeous. Even with much of the area's timber being unharvestable (either in Olympic National Park or not old enough), it's still incredibly lush, green, and rugged. Highway 101 around the Olympic Peninsula is one of America's best-kept secrets.

When the last book came out in August, there was a front-page article in the Seattle Times about how there had been a rash of "vampire tourism" out to Forks, and how glad (and surprised) the local merchants were to see it.

Not sure if this has much to do with the actual books, but you have to start somewhere.

I've never read any of the Twilight books, but I'll probably get around to them eventually.

About the movie, don't get your hopes up too much. I really enjoyed the book Eragon and was excited for the movie... which was a complete letdown. I hope this turns out better than that did.

I've never read any of the Twilight books, but I'll probably get around to them eventually.

About the movie, don't get your hopes up too much. I really enjoyed the book Eragon and was excited for the movie... which was a complete letdown. I hope this turns out better than that did.

Wasn't that movie about a talking dragon?? I heard that the movies effects is what killed it. I guess sometimes things are better off left to the imagination.

I heard that the movies special effects were done in a very cheesey way. Although, I don't think the book was really based on a vampire story, it was more of a love story. Therefore the focus should be on character development...but it would be nice for believability purposes to make the special effects seem real.

^Werewolves own? What does that mean?

Although the guy who plays the "main vampire" also played Cedric Diggory in the one Harry Potter movie...

I have zero interest in all things Twilight, but yeah, I have to agree that he was very nice eye candy in the Harry Potter movies.

I've read all four books and I have to say I absolutely LOVE them. Now, I will admit they aren't the best written and the dialogue can be poor at times, but they pull me into a trance to continue reading, I just can't stop.

As for the movie, I wasn't too impressed, but I guess one goes in with expectations once they've read the books. I rather not express them here, since I don't want to impose my impressions on others and give them any preconceived notions before going in. Just try to go in with no expectations, and you'll enjoy it. I will say enjoyable but not excellent.

Just read the books and LOVE them. Vampires, Werewolves, and Humans, OH MY!

It means werewolves are the best, no one can top them....especially vampires.

Someone else mentioned that there is a werewolf in books 2-4...he is actually one of the main characters.

I'm not one to give into hype...I never liked the Harry Potter books (I got board halfway through reading book 1). But these books are really good...two co-workers got me into the books and they are nowhere near the demographics (lets just say that one woman has grandkids and the other is a mother of 2).

Has anybody else seen the movie? I'm a little hesitant on seeing it b/c of the reviews...I don't want it to ruin my expectations.

I saw it over the weekend with both people who have read the books and with some who had not even heard of the series. Both sets enjoyed it, although I will disclaim that we were all females aged 25-30, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

They did a solid job bringing the series to life. Now I have my own nitpicks with things like they not caring about the cast outside the main 5 characters, but overall it was enjoyable. If you enjoyed the series, I would say to take the leap and go see the movie. Well, maybe wait 2 weeks or so before the throngs of squealing teen girls see it and then go.

I'd like to see this movie, but I haven't read the books. I've heard mixed reviews on the books. Some people I know just raved about them, and then another friend said they were boring teen romance. So I've been undecided about whether I want to read them. I'd still like to see the movie regardless.

Now if you're into vampires you must read the Southern Vampire Series (Sookie Stackhouse) by Charlaine Harris. The show True Blood on HBO is based on those books, although the show has strayed far from the original story. These books started before the Twilight series. They are definitely not teen romance.

• 4 months later...

I started out the same way. I made fun of the girls who were totally obsessed with the vampires. Then one of my friends told me to read it before I said anymore and I was hooked.

I read Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse within two weeks! then went to the midnight release of Breaking Dawn and was second in line!!

I absolutely loved the movie and already own the dvd.

Edward is my favorite of course, then Emmett

I really don't like Bella all that much. or Rosalie.

RPattz was the perfect choice to play him.

I'm really upset that they picked Kirsten Stewart though.

Dakota Fanning is going to play Jane! I can't wait for November.

I have to admit I read the books, but I had an excuse.

My 12 y/o daughter wanted to read them but I wasn't sure if they were "age appropriate" so I read them first. I have to say, I enjoyed them. I mean, it's no classic work of literature, but it's good for what it is.

As for the movie, it's okay. The book was indeed better. I'm hoping with a bigger budget the next movie will be better.

I've never read any of the books, but I saw the movie and I'll say, I was kind of impressed. There was more story to it than I thought there was going to be, and I really enjoyed how the movie was filmed. The special effects weren't anything special, but that was something minor.

I do think that Twilight is really over-hyped, though. It's an interesting spin on a typical teen love story, but other than that it's pretty simple. It's good, but not that good. I guess the same could be said for anything, though. But that's just my opinion.

And I agree, Werewolves own.

I am in the middle of Breaking Dawn. They are OK books but I feel like they aren't very well written and the dialogue is a little weak. I felt that the movie was 500x better than the book, which is pretty rare. I felt that the first book didn't really go anywhere until the end. Just my $.02.