TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Post your RAW 2 and Coaster Expedition 11 Thoughts!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I got my Raw 2, Coaster Expedition vol. 10, and America's Rockin' Theme Parks DVDs today. If you've been debating about buying some DVDs or whether they're worth it, think no more! They are AWESOME!! The footage is great, the quality is amazing, and the expedition DVD really captures the fun y'all have on the TPR trips. (gees, i have got to go on one!)

Thanks, Robb, for getting them to me so quickly! Also, thanks so much for throwing in the extras.

I'll be buying Raw vol. 1 for sure!

Thanks,

John

I just had the pleasure of watching CE11, Japanamania! All I can say is, if you like the CE series, then this vid delivers! Lots of fun stuff, interesting coasters and really weird F'ed up rides. Any video where Ryan gets punched in the nuts is a winner in my book! My only disappointment is that he didn't get punched in the nuts enough. Maybe next time Rich can tazer him in the taint. Now that would make for extreme entertainment.

I want to take a brief moment to point out Disc 2. Awesome POVs on some amazing coasters! However, the real treat comes when we get to the dark ride POVs. I only have one question. What kind of elicit drugs are these Japanese dark ride designers taking? It's positively amazing some of the weird concepts that emerge from these parks! I absolutely have to get to J-land just to experience some of these rides myself. As great as the video is, I'm sure the camera could never do them justice compared to experiencing the ride live.

Oh, and Japan Disney's Pooh totaly drops trou, screams out Hail Marys while unleashing a huge stinky log of a crap on Cal Disney's Pooh! That ride looks amazing! The operating system is like nothing I have ever seen before in my life. Simply astonishing!

So all in all, 2 thumbs up! It didn't quite have the subtle nuances of tragic hope, and political satire that "Fisting 17" had, but none the less extremely entertaining!

Tomorrow nite RCitR! Vol2! Expect a review!

Guy "I gots to get me to Japan soon!" Koepp

Well after watching both Coasters in the Raw 2 and Coaster Expedition 11, I've got reviews to share!

Coaster Expedition Volume 11: Japan-A-Mania Two!

This new volume continues in a long tradition of great TPR releases. To me, this was the second most-anticipated release in the pipeline (only trumped by the East Coast Trip DVD), specifically because the original Japan-A-Mania is to date one of my favorites of the series. Looking at the original in comparison to this follow up, TPR has given its viewers an amazing view of how things change in a matter of a few years in the theme parks of Japan. Hosting a colorful gang of trip participants while traversing the strangely wonderful country of Japan makes for an irresistibly fun, entertaining and unique experience. Once again, TPR antics shine through, making this two disc set an amazing stand alone, but an even better addition to a TPR fan's growing collection of video releases. Disc 1 offers the signature music-to-video episodic segments which have helped to make the Theme Park Review videos such a staple in the community's collection while Disc 2 stands out with professional-quality POVs of rarely seen parks and their strange attractions.

Overall, Japan-A-Mania Two has earned a spot at the top of my "best of 2008" DVDs, and definitely mirrors the experiences typical of the not so typical Theme Park Review crew and their many offerings.

Coasters in the Raw! Volume 2

Having not seen more than a few clips of the original volume, I wasn't sure what to expect with this new release since, like many others, "raw footage" has never really been my area of interest. Once again, Theme Park Review has taken a concept and flipped it on its side, making it not only fun, but exciting for any viewer, whether a fanatic or a pure park observer. Pristinely clear footage continues to exemplify the quality which Theme Park Review offers as a production company and of experts in the industry. Their film techniques call for very little editing (as evidenced in a disclaimer at the beginning of each disc, as well as the lack of cuts in their seamless segments) which only supports the exemplary skill put forth in the production of these discs. Two discs, one based on wooden coasters and the other based on steel offer incredibly clear front seat views of some well known (and some more rare) coasters from around the world. Mixing in footage from classic coasters such as the Coney Island Cyclone and Phoenix with some newer rides like Fahrenheit, Formule X and Led Zeppelin, Theme Park Review has given its viewers the chance to take a world class "Coaster Tour" without leaving the comfort of their living room.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the "raw footage" delivered by Theme Park Review to be the most interesting collection I had seen. I would highly recommend adding this to your catalogue of TPR DVDs as soon as possible!

In the Raw 2 doesn't let you down with great footage. Raw 1& 2 are the best DVD's from TPR I have got out of the 8. I am a lover of steel coasters and disk 2 is my favorite. I think that is only because we don't have any woodern coasters in Australia and I haven't been on a wood coasters. Would love to try one. I am off to see Coaster Expedition V11 today.

So, over the weekend I had the pleasure of watching RCItR V2.

I must first claim that I am not a huge fan of the pure unclean "RAW" footage. Having a film and television background, it just seems too unpolished and rough in its simplicity. I too must confess that I love to see all the antics that my addiction sharing friends go through on these adventures. Their pleasures and stories become my own upon viewing. In average POV videos, I lose the human element that makes these rides so much fun. I would much rather just wait until I have the chance to ride the ride myself. With that said, this is not just your average POV video. The Alveys have taken this very tedious style of capturing a ride and have infused it with charm and personality. Not only do they give us the unedited POV, but they include a nice helping of recognizable riders unedited reactions throughout the ride. I love to hear the witty banter Robb has with his co-rider while on the lift. I laugh as ocassionally it culminates with Robb exclaiming, "Oh my God! We're gonna die!" just as the coaster crests the lift. I think the thing I love most about these videos is that you feel that you the viewer have been invited to ride with a group of friends. Not just being subjected to a ride video that you would rather be riding with your friends. Robb & Elissa have taken the standard POV format and injected it with what it has always been lacking for me. The human element.

If pure coaster footage is your bag baby. Then this and RCItR V1 deliver all that and more!

Next up, JimmyBo & Friends V2!

Guy "Get on it and ride!" Koepp

Falafel and I got together today and watched the new DVD. We loved it. Very funny and lots of cool footage of one of the best trips I've ever taken. My only complaint would be that the Fuji-Q segment does not feature any footage of the park actually on fire and/or being destroyed by dinosaurs.

Highly recommended!!!

dt

^Godzilla melting Eejaniaka (or how ever it's spelled) with his radioactive breath would've been awesome.

Japan-a-Mania 2 is a great pair of DVDs. The park videos are great, and the ride footage is excellent. If you haven't had the chance to experience Parque Espana's "Musical Circus," Lagunasia's "Magical Powders," or TDL's "Pooh's Hunny Hunt," here's your chance.

It makes me want to hop the next flight to Tokyo.

Regarding Coasters In The Raw 2

I would have preferred less 'rider input' from the woodies disk. I enjoy watching the coasters and the POV, but rider's commenting to camera distracted my attention from the coaster riding experience.

The steelies disk, I felt, was much better. The unique backwards-facing Nemesis POV is absolutely priceless! Evidence of a creative mind demonstrating inspired thinking.

Thanks Robb for all you do

Simon Baynham

I would have preferred less 'rider input' from the woodies disk. I enjoy watching the coasters and the POV, but rider's commenting to camera distracted my attention from the coaster riding experience.

I think I understand what you mean. It's very hard to get it right in order to please everyone. While we would never do a "play-by-play" commentary during a POV you will hear some comments by the people riding around us. I'm assuming this is what you mean, Simon?

We would never interrupt a POV to show a rider making a comment though.

Still, I think the RAW DVDs are the closest you get to just having a straight through POV without distractions.

--Robb

I think I'm just difficult to please, Robb. In all fairness you do an excellent job, and I look forward to viewing Coasters in the Raw 3.

No, no, Simon. I'm glad you posted your feedback! It's comments like this that help me out for future DVD's.

Who knows, maybe somewhere in the future there will be a "Nothin' but Track" DVD series that includes NO sound at all other than the coaster noise.

It's very hard to do sometimes because we don't often get sent out without riders, but it does happen from time to time!

--Robb

Hi Robb

Coasters In The Raw 1 (both disks) was just perfect: as there's a healthy balance between coaster footage and contributions from riders to camera.

Coasters in the Raw 2 is perfect too, apart from early on in the woodies disk where I felt there was too much rider-input to camera.

DVDs of just RAW coaster footage has been done before, and to be honest, I find that so bland. A healthy balance is what is needed, and you achieved that with RCitR1

Keep up the good work Robb.

Simon Baynham (Geesh, I complain so much!)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for Simon, but for me on Raw2 I enjoy the (uninterrupted) POVs with the occasional side view, and less commentary. Don't get me wrong, it's a far cry from other coaster videos I've seen (usually released by marketing departments and cable TV specials) where it seems to be mostly fan interviews and shots of the station loading paired with metal and techno. But just to give an example... "NINETY DEGREEEES!!!" was funny the first... three times? lol

But judging by other comments here, it sounds like some viewers enjoy the personal reactions, so I think you struck a good balance between the two. Since you brought up a possible "Just The Tracks, Ma'am" version: I *do* like having the ambient human noise during the POV, just because it's more fun and realistic. Otherwise I feel lonely.

-birdman

I luv the In The Raw series. When I watch the other volumes, I have ten, I usually watch with the sound turned off because I hate the music (that's probably because I'm old. I think future releases should be offered with a choice between one with music and one in the raw.

I now have both RAW videos, and I must say that they are awesome! It's hard to decide which type I prefer; I love them all. I mean, it's great watching the amazing time everyone has on the Expedition videos, but I also enjoy just sitting in front of the TV watching the fabulous POV on the RAW vids while I anxiously await spring.

Bottom line...if you have not bought either the RAW or Expedition DVDs, I recommend you do it ASAP!

GUARANTEED, you won't be disappointed!

Hello!

I ordered all 3 new DVD´s: Raw2, Expediton11 & Rockin Theme Parks.

Raw 2 & 11 are great! (Like always!) Cool music, great videos!

Rockin is unviewed until now, but I guess it will be as great as the other DVD´s are!

Best whishes and greetings from Germany,

Christian

^ Why didn't just EMAIL me about that? Did you not get the letter with your order that said "If there is a problem with any of your DVDs, *EMAIL* and I will replace them ASAP."

I'm assuming what happened is that the DVD came off the pegs during shipping and shook around in the case to cause all the scratches.

We would NEVER put a DVD in the case in that condition to send out to a customer. I will be more than happy to send you replacement discs, but it would have been nice to get an email about it first instead of having you post it here.

I absolutely GUARANTEE this is *NOT* how our DVDs go out. This one was damaged in shipping.

--Robb

^ Why didn't just EMAIL me about that? Did you not get the letter with your order that said "If there is a problem with any of your DVDs, *EMAIL* and I will replace them ASAP."

Absolutely, and I still need to say thanks for sending my replacement DVD so soon.

I had ordered RAW 2 and one of the DVDs had come off of the peg, which is when I'm guessing it cracked. within a week I had a replacement DVD of RAW 2. I've ordered three others, and all of them plus the replacement were in great shape when they arrived!

Thanks again Robb!

Hello there!

I am writing from France!

I have watched the two DVDs “Roller coasters in the raw » (I got them for Xmas). I found them really interesting: I could discover a lot of new coasters that I had never seen before. We don’t have many wooden coasters in France! And the POV is really good: you really feel as if you were in the train . It made me feel like going to the USA to try the steel coasters (I wish I could: I am a real fan!!!)

Happy new year to all roller coaster fans!