TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

(K'nex Coaster)Sandstorm

Since the old thread got accidentally deleted, I had to start a new one. I had to change the height because I wanted to be on the safe side so I know I will have enough pieces.

The first drop is 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall and the second is around 3 feet tall. I started banking the peak of the second hill so I can start forming the helix and overbanked curve.

Expect more soon, I plan on working on the coaster each weekend.

The first drop.

The first drop, and second hill.

The banked peak of the second hill.

Comments are welcome.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FAR too narrow of a pullout.

Thanks. I'll fix it the next time I get a chance to work on it. I'll lengthen the pullout more.

How long does it take to build these anyway?

It took me an afternoon to build from the top of the first drop to where I am now. My guess is about a week or two depending on the coaster.

Still very impressive, but I agree about the pullout--that shouldn't be too hard to fix, though (for you, anyway).

Can't wait to see more of the layout.

You know, what would be really cool is if you change the top of the second hill a bit, and heartline the track...

Keep up the good work!

I might of missed this, but what happened to Fahrenheit? Oh well, it still looks great, is this coaster going to have inversions?

-Matthew.K

The guys over at sscoasters told me to build a shorter coaster, so I scrapped FH and decided to build a custom one instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Ccron, I'm a member at SSCoasters and nobody specifically told you to scrap the coaster, they told you that you should start smaller. Ya know, I know this sounds really arrogant which is probably is, but you should go for a realistic project that can actually be completed unlike the past what, 7 projects? I'd like to be proven wrong and see you finish a project, but until then, please start smaller so it doesn't end up like all your other projects.

Ccron, I'm a member at SSCoasters and nobody specifically told you to scrap the coaster, they told you that you should start smaller. Ya know, I know this sounds really arrogant which is probably is, but you should go for a realistic project that can actually be completed unlike the past what, 7 projects? I'd like to be proven wrong and see you finish a project, but until then, please start smaller so it doesn't end up like all your other projects.

First of all, if you actually read the sscoasters thread about Sandstorm, you would actually see that the height was twice as tall as it is now. I am not going to go smaller on the coaster because I am already far ahead on the layout.

Second of all, those 7 "failed" projects aren't all failed. The 4D coaster failed because my stupid school changed the requirements for the graduation projects. Now I have to research a career instead. if you think my recreation of Hersheypark is failed, then you are completely wrong. I've been working on that for over a year and a half and have no intention of stopping it. Same thing with Sandstorm; I am far along into building the coaster that I am not giving up on it. I think you guys are thinking that this project will fail because I only posted one update, it only shows the first drop and second hill and that the only project that didn't work was the 4D coaster because I over-hyped on it.

Sandstorm has nearly doubled in size since the last update. The second drop has been added, an inclined loop was added and later removed because of it's deformed shape and lack of support, the first 90* banked turn has been added as well as the start of the second one. Because I removed the inclined loop, I re-added some new track to the whole coaster so it would be easier on my supply of track ties.

Sandstorm still has ways to go before it's finished. After the second 90* banked turn, I plan on adding one last element before I add the second lifthill (4 feet tall). After that, the ride will then go back towards the station over a series of rabbit hops and possibly one last element before the ride is over.

I'll try to post updates more frequently. Comment, or critizcize (whatever your cup of tea). Let know if you see any flaws in the curves so I can try to fix them.

1195517247_DSCF0010(800x600).jpg.694b13998148cd19aaf2b21201738777.jpg

The curved second drop and overbanked turn.

1063865320_DSCF0009(800x600).jpg.80607db2548c561a69276e0ea4d855f7.jpg

The first drop from a distance.

1319498847_DSCF0007(800x600).jpg.f229fb8fdb0141cf5943374b98f2f597.jpg

Here's the whole layout so far.

1088459541_DSCF0005(800x600).jpg.75c9096eec9cfbe6a3ebf29c5e0398a5.jpg

that section after the second overbanked turn will be removed. Sandstorm was going to enter a brake run after the first overbanked turn and then go right into the second lift hill. I decided to lengthen the layout a bit because of removing the inclined loop.

528568292_DSCF0004(800x600).jpg.8eb1c5a95684bc4fb94b63a9ff7a89f9.jpg

A look at the curved second drop which then enters the overbanked turn.

842766114_DSCF0003(800x600).jpg.95b6d6d6c59dd2b3d5d28dadcda2425a.jpg

The first and the start of the second overbanked turn.

1180455407_DSCF0002(800x600).jpg.c52b4df0104f4b0a3258248d024bc0d8.jpg

Here's what that section looks like now. Some of the supports are still there, but I plan to take them out next time.

838179785_DSCF00011(800x600).jpg.120ce78e467241ee7010245122b09bac.jpg

This was the inclined loop before I gave it the Son of Beast treatment. (The tape was only temporary because I needed to make more track ties.)

Looking good.

And for the rest of you, I don't recall there ever being anything stating projects have to be completed. Have the fun of working on anything is seeing if it even works. I can tell you at 16years old, I completed probably one out of every ten projects I started. It was more about the building and experimentation of constructing that was more important to me.

And Jack, for someone that represents a company you really need to change your tune. Your tone here is certainly making me think twice about supporting CD.

Give the kid a break.

mcjaco- you seem to shadow all of my posts. Do you have me flagged as a troublemaker or something?

Have you read through the thread I continue to reference? It is maddening. I posted on that thread and despite coming across as harsh, I was proven right on all accounts. There was no working model. There was no 4-D ride. There was no working prototype. There was a name, however. Gotta have that name!

Building a working model from scratch is no easy task. I know this from experience. I applaud anyone who tries, whether they succeed or not. I do know when to call BS, however. And I did. Anyone who drags a project along that has no conceivable chance of succeeding only to get props from his peers is an attention getter.

Evidently there is more precedence of this on other sites. Don't single me out. Look at the other posts on similar threads. Don't just jump on here when you see me.

By the way, what do you do to support CD? Do you have a kit? Do you post on our site? Come on over sometime under your real name like I do here. I won't shadow you.

^ Yeah, I'll give you credit that most of the time your right, if not 100%

Although most don't really want to be told what they can't do, so If you get flack for that, you got it coming, but still, If you had something to tell the maker, as in advice, go for it, but don't tell them what they can/cant do.

mcjaco- you seem to shadow all of my posts. Do you have me flagged as a troublemaker or something?

Have you read through the thread I continue to reference? It is maddening. I posted on that thread and despite coming across as harsh, I was proven right on all accounts. There was no working model. There was no 4-D ride. There was no working prototype. There was a name, however. Gotta have that name!

I'm not going to get into an argument. One, I don't shadow anyone. None of the mods here do. That's not to say we don't recognize certain trends. In 77 posts, you seem to be attracted to Ccron's threads. As in more than 50% of your posts. That trend look more like trolling.

Building a working model from scratch is no easy task. I know this from experience. I applaud anyone who tries, whether they succeed or not. I do know when to call BS, however. And I did. Anyone who drags a project along that has no conceivable chance of succeeding only to get props from his peers is an attention getter.

Evidently there is more precedence of this on other sites. Don't single me out. Look at the other posts on similar threads. Don't just jump on here when you see me.

And I don't believe Ccron, or anyone, ever said building a working model was easy. It was a school project, and although it was probably a bit too ambitious, at least he tried. Too which, according to your response, you applaud. As for the attention getting comment, I'll pass that on. I think TPR's Game Forum is far better than most places. All you have to do is visit Atari's RCT threads, and recognize that it's nothing but attention grabbing threads. Everyone here is a regular contributor, and each of them post in everyone's threads. I really don't see what you're talking about. Perhaps if you visited more frequently, other than to see what Ccron was up too......

By the way, what do you do to support CD? Do you have a kit? Do you post on our site? Come on over sometime under your real name like I do here. I won't shadow you.

Unfortunately, I can't post from work, which is where I do most of my surfing while on breaks. Most sites for toys/hobbies are blocked. When everyone knows my name here and on other forums, why would I post my real name somewhere else? I just htink it's odd that for someone employed by CD, you come around and make disparaging remarks to kids, who are going to be your number one demographic. Seems like you're shooting yourself in the foot. As for CD, I did have the Scorpion kit, but had to sell since we downsized in space when we moved.

In any case, let's get back to topic. Take it away Ccron!

Looking at what you have so far that's a lot of hard work... not to mention space! And to think I used to make pretend coasters with Hot Wheels track on my back porch! I don't think I would have the patience to put something like that together, because of the time involved to get everything perfect... so good luck with that. I'm having enough trouble making sure my RCT 3 custom scenery doesn't crash my mac... and that's after installing it on a pc and copying it over!

Terry

Looking at what you have so far that's a lot of hard work... not to mention space! And to think I used to make pretend coasters with Hot Wheels track on my back porch! I don't think I would have the patience to put something like that together, because of the time involved to get everything perfect... so good luck with that. I'm having enough trouble making sure my RCT 3 custom scenery doesn't crash my mac... and that's after installing it on a pc and copying it over!

Terry

I guess it's a good thing I didn't decide to work on this at my house because if it's one thing that I don't have, it would be room (looking back on my Fahrenheit coaster attempt). Thankfully my grandmother allowed me to use her basement to put this together and since it's near the size I am limited to when I display this in July, it worked out perfectly. Usually I go down to work on this once a week for an afternoon and when you listen to X-mas music or an iPod, you can get a lot done.

I won't be able to work on the coaster today, but I tomorrow I might. I'm thinking about making the second overbank like the first one, add a helix, brake section, and then start the lift. I'm going to need to limit myself on flexible rods because I'm getting low. I might need to take some off of the built sections and use them one at a time.

Hopefully I will be getting new trains soon. Right now I'm running off of two that were used on the 36 foot tall Kingda Ka coaster which are missing wheels, the front is connected to the cars with rubberbands.

I didn't have time to work on it last Saturday, but I did on Sunday and it's going to be the same way this coming weekend. But the good news is that I will have 2 weeks off from school coming soon so I could get a lot done under that time.

On Sunday I did get the second overbanked turn done and I started on the 180 degree turn into the MCBR. Next Sunday, I hope to finish the turn, and start the brake run and 2nd lift hill.

In the meantime, I came up with a good idea and I needed to act fast because the X-Mas season is almost done. Today I ran out to some stores to see if I could find some running lights for the coaster. It may be a bit early for this, but since they only sell X-mas lights now, now would be the time to buy them. Unfortunately they were sold out of every kind of X-mas light-style imaginable so I'm going to use plain X-mas lights instead.

Stay Tuned for more.

202570250_DSCF0010(800x600).jpg.7e37cdb34bfdd9de06908ba5f0c2d218.jpg

Same thing with this one.

274873822_DSCF0009(800x600).jpg.3c7ee323a970470ae83e879a195ccdf1.jpg

hopefully this view will look a little different in a week or two.

2023809111_DSCF0004(800x600).jpg.3b1602359b8f71abb42cb4015787bcfc.jpg

Some of the sections need to be smoothed a little more.

2138343108_DSCF0003(800x600).jpg.60aa8b82388185a21461ad6ce5cf458a.jpg

I made the base differently for the turns to see how well they'd work.

1764494154_DSCF0001(800x600).jpg.496130e6b3ff59d77aaca7d56db33317.jpg

The coaster has grown....again.

One thing I want to mention about your lift hill. You put the red gear so far away from the bottom of the drop that when you add the chain, it will raise above the track an inch or so. Don't know if that's what you are looking for....but if you don't want that to happen just move the red gears up a few paces and you should be good to go.

Other than that though looks really good! Are you going to add any sort of inversions...or is this just gonna be a hyper coaster?

One thing I want to mention about your lift hill. You put the red gear so far away from the bottom of the drop that when you add the chain, it will raise above the track an inch or so. Don't know if that's what you are looking for....but if you don't want that to happen just move the red gears up a few paces and you should be good to go.

Other than that though looks really good! Are you going to add any sort of inversions...or is this just gonna be a hyper coaster?

I kind of wanted the gears to be back that far because I don't have a lot of K'nex chain, so I'm going to create a Millenium Force-style lift system. I plan of taking a string of rope, run it through the gear holes on the motor and connect the sides together. The train will slide up the lift, but then fall backwards on to the chain. Then the motor will put the train over the lift and then reverse back down the lift to pick up the next train.

I did think about adding some kind of inversion, but when I added the angled loop, it was a little deformed and unsupported. Right now I'm sticking to overbanked turns as my inversions, but I was thinking about making my 2nd lift hill and drop similar to Fahrenheit (vertical lift and past vertical drop).