TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When did Youtube start removing videos that feature music?

AlexG8462

Have you ever experienced this problem?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever experienced this problem?

• Yes I have
    • No I haven't
    • I don't understand the question

I recently uploaded a video on Youtube of my trip to Halloween Horror Nights and I used the Rob Zombie song "Superbeast". Then less then a minute later, the video suddenly got removed. Earlier this year I uploaded a few videos from my Orlando trip that were removed due to music use.

When did Youtube start removing videos because the user inserted a piece of music? It doesn't even say anywhere in the Copyright Rules that you can't use music. I any of you have ever experienced this problem before when uploading videos, please share your stories. If anyone has uploaded videos featuring music, but hasn't had Youtube remove them (yet) be aware of this problem.

Also if the Copyright Rules actually do say something about using music in the video please let me know.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[two cents]I have never tried to upload anything to YouTube and there for have not read their copyright but using someone else's music without permission I beleive in some way could be copyright infringement, so that could be their reasoning behind it. However it is odd that they would do this because I'm pretty sure that means about 90% or more of the videos uploaded should be removed due to someone using a song without permission from the artist/label.[/two cents]

They just started doing it recently. Intellectual property (read: copyright protection) has become a really big issue on sites like YouTube. Just as not all TV shows want their clips on the Internet for free, not all music companies want their songs on there.

Around three months ago, I got an email from YouTube giving me three options for my video featuring "Top of the World" by the All-American Rejects. I could a) take down my video, b) leave it up but allow the company to place ads anywhere on the page, or c) hand it over to them and give them full control. I chose option "b," and I haven't noticed a difference.

It's just a way for them to keep everyone happy.

My complaint about this....before that though, I know it is against copyright infriengment, but as long as you are not selling something, I think it should be alright. It is like free publicity for the artists.

Well lawyers for the artists see it differently.

YouTube makes money selling ads on their site. If artists' music is being used on the site, the artists (and their lawyers) want royalties from the usage.

If one looks at things through only their own eyes practically anything illegal can be viewed as alright.

My complaint about this....before that though, I know it is against copyright infriengment, but as long as you are not selling something, I think it should be alright. It is like free publicity for the artists.

Well lawyers for the artists see it differently.

YouTube makes money selling ads on their site. If artists' music is being used on the site, the artists (and their lawyers) want royalties from the usage.

If one looks at things through only their own eyes practically anything illegal can be viewed as alright.

Even from regular users like us?

I had that happen to me not to long ago. I had a movie on Youtube called Pirates of Suburbia. It had some music from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies on it and it was blocked.

I'm in the process right now of getting music written specifically for my movie. So once that is done I'll re-upload my movie. But I was pretty bummed out about it being blocked in the first place.

• 2 months later...

Around three months ago, I got an email from YouTube giving me three options for my video featuring "Top of the World" by the All-American Rejects. I could a) take down my video, b) leave it up but allow the company to place ads anywhere on the page, or c) hand it over to them and give them full control. I chose option "b," and I haven't noticed a difference.

It's just a way for them to keep everyone happy.

Same thing happened to me awhile ago. I uploaded a video of a local air show that came around here, and I used the song "Kryptonite" by 3 doors down. Later on I got an email or PM (can't remember which) saying the exact same thing they sent you. Likewise, I selected the second option and the video is still working fine.

I had one video pulled seconds after it was put up; it was a Dorney Park 2008 video that had Silver Rocket by Sonic Youth as the music. Instead I uploaded it to Vimeo and haven't had a problem yet...the quality is scores better as well!

I haven't checked my videos lately to see if any music is missing however; after Silver Rocket deal I started using obscure music/artists.

I had one of my videos of Knobles pulled because it used a song by Jimmy Eat World. I realized that you really can't use extremely popular groups in your videos because they have extremely annoying copyright people.

That's why I go with European trance songs for my videos because so many of them sound alike, it's hard to trace them because many electronic music artists work under multiple aliases. Also, the German groups who produce these tracks aren't as sue-happy-greedy as American music producers.

I had one of my videos of Knobles pulled because it used a song by Jimmy Eat World. I realized that you really can't use extremely popular groups in your videos because they have extremely annoying copyright people.

That's why I go with European trance songs for my videos because so many of them sound alike, it's hard to trace them because many electronic music artists work under multiple aliases. Also, the German groups who produce these tracks aren't as sue-happy-greedy as American music producers.

Wow, I usually do the exact same thing! European techno can be perfect for park videos, I just wanted a shorter song for the Knobbles one, so I used Jimmy Eat World. I've made quite a few videos with music by Andy Hunter who is a great high paced electronic producer, but lately I’ve been doing videos with music by Hybrid, because their music is absolutely epic and mind-blowing. There’s been times where I’ve listened to it in the dark or something and I felt like I was high.

If you like European trance, you have definetly got to seach Andy Hunter or Hybrid.

Wow, I usually do the exact same thing! European techno can be perfect for park videos...

Haha, I do as well. Many of my newer videos use electronic tracks because most aren't mainstream enough to be caught by the YouTube Copyright Bot. However I typically use 'drum and bass' tracks since I'm not all that into dance. Sometimes I'll use not-so-mainstream rock as well.