TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Awesome waterslide simulator

How's this for a small footprint?

Says Discovery Channel:

No water theme park is complete without a long run on a water slide, but what do you do when you don't have the room in your backyard? Let the laws of physics give you a ride! In what may be their most massive build, the team [at Prototype this] puts together an amazing, fun-filled "slide-in-a-ring" and then turns on the hose for some aquatic fun.

It can be programmed to simulate any number of outrageous layouts. It looks pretty cool, but its logistically problematic. I don't think it needs much water to run, so if 5 kids ride it, you're looking at a 5 to 1 ratio of urine to water. Otherwise, I'd ride that thing all day long!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a simulator, it spins 360 degrees around, and tilts to either side 18 degrees. It can also rise up and down to simulate different g-forces. It is designed so that the rider can build their own slide then ride it via the simulator. The POV of the slide they designed was projected right in front of the rider to give them the full effect.

For those of you who watched the show, I really think this is going to be the next big thing in the waterpark industry. They even had help from Splashtacular, who I'm guessing will be the first to make this now. It just makes sense, since they design some pretty crazy rides. However there are still a few things to fix/design. Mainly, in the show they just added in some water with a hose, some sort of filtration system would have to be designed and could give a better ride, and better experience.

I didn't understand their problem with the, "how to display the image problem," that they had...that water curtain technology already exists from Technifex. In fact the ride they rode researching had one of those projection systems on it, so I don't know why they didn't think of that, and just borrow how they make their water curtain.

I couldn't believe that the roller coaster wheels didn't last and melted. I mean that entire thing weighed 9 tons, so the slide portion had to weigh about 5 tons I'm guessing...even at 9 tons, roller coaster cars weigh more then that and travel much faster, so maybe they didn't have true roller coaster wheels? I really thought those would have lasted.

For those of you who didn't see the show...it worked, and they had people riding it, including one of the head guys at Splashtacular.

Anyways like I said, I totally think this will be the next big thing, and with IAAPA coming up next week, I'm guessing it will be the talk at the Splashtacular booth. Well I know I'm going to ask them about it there!

^^Yeah, but CAPACITY?!!? Waterslides are already so low capacity and unless you're willing to purchase several of these it will be a nightmare. Look at something like Cyber Space Mountain at DisneyQuest. Pretty much the exact same concept, and even when that place is empty there's a 45 minute line for that attraction due to low capacity even with a crapload of simulators.

I guess maybe a small park could get one of these, but will it be too expensive and difficult to maintain?

^^Yea I didn't really think about the whole big park capacity issue there, you're right the lines would be crazy for it. Although look at the Flowriders...they have poor capacity yet people line up to ride them and even just watch them for that matter. However, I was thinking of it more along the lines of an extra fee attraction, or something for an indoor park that doesn't get that crowded. Plus it fits right in with a lot of Splashtacular's trade show concepts...none of them have any capacity!!

I think a small outdoor park could maintain this, as long as they had it worked out where most of the programming stuff had failsafes and always worked. All it really had mechanically was some hydraulic cylinders, with a pump for the hydraulic fluid, and some motors with drive wheels. A lot of that design you're own ride stuff already exists, as you mentioned with DisneyQuest.

I just don't see the appeal in a water slide simulator. With real simulators, and even the virtual space mountain...at least there is some "fantasy" to it. Like you are really doing things that would not otherwise be possible.

But a waterslide? Just doesn't strike me as something people would want to simulate.

^ I don't understand what your point is. How is it a step back? I see that you don't like gimmicks, but where do you draw the line between a gimmick and a novel idea? Are the 4D trains on X2 a gimmick? How about rides like Soarin' and the Simpsons? Are they gimmicks?

^^So you wouldn't ride it? Even if it could give you a previously implausible five minute ride? There are definitely advantages to riding a real slide, but I can also see its limitations. That simulator would allow for some epically long experiences, simulating winding slides that would cost billions to build and all in a space the size of your backyard! Who needs a jacuzzi?

But yeah Elissa was right, the capacity of this ride would make it a questionable investment for a theme park. Like DRWP2005 said earlier, maybe it would work as an upcharge...

I saw the show and thought the concept was kinda neat; but, I think capacity would be a big issue. One of the reasons they made it in the first place was because waterslides offered too short of a ride. The test version was something like 3 1/2 minutes. So it would seem that in a real world setting they would shorten the ride time to deal with capacity issues, so in the end why not ride a real waterslide.

Also, when I saw the screen problems they were having I thought of the water curtain idea (like in POTC ) I think they couldn't use it because the screen had to be on an angle on the curved surface in front of a rider. I am pretty sure the water curtains are a 90 degree only thing.

I'll still take one for my backyard.

^ It basically is a 'see what we can do' excersice; it was for a TV show after all.

As far as capacity issued, it didn't seem that they were actually pitching it to waterparks anyway. It was being designed for someone's backyard...of course the backyard version would only be like 10 feet high instead of 40. But if it were to go to a waterpark, I do beleive it would be a waterpark 'upcharge' attraction!

I don't really see it taking off though.

I find it funny people are saying how this doesn't make sense and is pointless if you can ride the real thing at a park...I mean why go to Disney and ride Mission Space, when you can join NASA and go, or pay a ton of money to ride the planes that go to space? Disney did the same thing at DisneyQuest with roller coasters, and yes I know DisneyQuest failed, however you still see those simulators today. Not to mention VR arcades with simulators tend to be pretty popular.

An attraction like this could bring joy to many people lives, just think of one of the biggest challenges waterparks face...they have stairs. Not everyone can climb up 70 feet of stairs to ride slides for an entire day. People who can't walk or injured people could ride something like this with very limited stairs, and have a good time.

^^Great point about disabled access.

^You're exaggerating our excitement a bit. Clearly its not a dream come true, the realization of utopia, or the second coming, but it is a neat toy!

I mean as a kid I think I would have rather had this than a Power Wheels, and I really wanted a Power Wheels!

I find it funny people are saying how this doesn't make sense and is pointless if you can ride the real thing at a park...I mean why go to Disney and ride Mission Space, when you can join NASA and go, or pay a ton of money to ride the planes that go to space? Disney did the same thing at DisneyQuest with roller coasters, and yes I know DisneyQuest failed, however you still see those simulators today. Not to mention VR arcades with simulators tend to be pretty popular.

An attraction like this could bring joy to many people lives, just think of one of the biggest challenges waterparks face...they have stairs. Not everyone can climb up 70 feet of stairs to ride slides for an entire day. People who can't walk or injured people could ride something like this with very limited stairs, and have a good time.

I agree, why should I pay $50 to ride a rocket simulator when I could do the real thing. Oh wait, I can't unless I'm a billionaire.

The thing is, a simulator is supposed to give a representation of something that is out-of-reach or difficult to do. Anyone can go to a swimming pool and ride a slide making the whole exercise pointless like I first stated. Plus, by the looks of it, it seems cheaper to ride the real thing in the first place.

As for your second argument, while it would be good for those with disabilities, such people are in the minority. A park wouldn't invest much money on something that will rarely be used, wether its for good cause or not.

Besides, who said they were releasing these out to parks. As I said above, its more of a technical exercise than anything else.