TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Do You Think of Current Roller Coaster Design!?

Hi forum,

I am a student in my 4th and final year at Coventry University studying Transport and Product Design. For my final major project I have decided to design, model and animate an entire roller coaster. I hope to talk with Alton Towers and with their permission have it theoretically replace the corkscrew.

My design revolves around designing the next BIG thing in Roller coasters.

I have devised a quick questionnaire to gain knowledge, with your help, of what the users really want. If you could please fill this in and repost your answers, I would be extremely grateful. (Don’t answer any questions if you wish not to)

Thanks for your help.

Richard Irvin

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Q2) How old are you?

Q3) When you go to a theme park, do you prefer riding wooden roller coasters, or steel roller coasters?

Q4) Of all the different roller coaster trains, which do you prefer and why? Seated, standing, inversion etc…

Q5) What’s your most favourite ride?

Q6) When your on a roller coaster what do you think is the most THRILLING part of the ride? (Gives you the biggest buzz/rush?)

Q7) What do you think is the most SCARY part of the ride? (Makes you think twice about it?)

Q8) Do you think roller coasters are LESS scary and thrilling after you’ve ridden them once before?

Q9) Do you like the idea of an extreme roller coaster? (Think roller coasters crossed with extreme sports)

Q10) Themeing… Is the theme important in the overall ride anticipation and ride satisfaction?

Q11) Queuing… Do you like to see the ride whilst in the queue? Or do you prefer the sense of not knowing what is going to happen?

Q12) Because of the direct proportionality between rides and queue length, do you prefer short ride/short queue, or long ride/long queue?

Q13) Is there anything you would like to see improved/changed with roller coasters?

Thank you again for your participation.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1) Male

Q2) 22 y.o.

Q3) I'll ride anything a park has, but my all-time favorite ride is a wooden coaster. Second all-time favorite is steel (Magnum XL-200).

Q4) Sit-down lap-bar trains.

Q5) Voyage at Holiday World.

Q6) Getting pulled over the top of a steep hill when sitting in the backseat.

Q7) Height is what usually scares me the most.

Q8) Yes. First ride is usually the best, too. It's the rides that get better and better every time you ride them that are the true classics.

Q9) Could be interesting. I'd have to be shown a more detailed concept to let you know if I'm really interested, though.

Q10) Very. Even a dull ride can be amazing with proper theming (i.e. Expedition Everest).

Q11) Either can be good, but I like watching coasters in general, so it's always nice to have something to look at when waiting in line. However, hiding the ride from view while you're queueing to go along with the theming can be neat, too.

Q12) Long ride/long queue, I guess. Although with high capacity, even a very long ride can still have a very short wait, so the question is a little off.

Q13) More coasters with ejector air. Most newer coasters nowadays - even the new hypers - have wussy floater air that really does nothing for me.[/i]

I always like to help people and fill in forms like this so...

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male.

Q2) How old are you?

16 years.

Q3) When you go to a theme park, do you prefer riding wooden roller coasters, or steel roller coasters?

Steel roller coasters.

Q4) Of all the different roller coaster trains, which do you prefer and why? Seated, standing, inversion etc…

Seated and lap-bar restraints.

Seated, because it's the only thing I have ridden so far.

Lap-bar restraints, because it gives that extra freedom.

Goliath, Walibi World, Netherlands.

Q6) When your on a roller coaster what do you think is the most THRILLING part of the ride? (Gives you the biggest buzz/rush?)

Huge drops!

Q7) What do you think is the most SCARY part of the ride? (Makes you think twice about it?)

Very fast, near-the-ground coasters. (i.e Maverick)

Q8) Do you think roller coasters are LESS scary and thrilling after you’ve ridden them once before?

Yes.

Q9) Do you like the idea of an extreme roller coaster? (Think roller coasters crossed with extreme sports)

I'm not a real fan of extreme sports, but I am always in for any new inventions in the world of roller coasters.

Q10) Theming… Is the theme important in the overall ride anticipation and ride satisfaction?

Ride theming could add A LOT of fun, but I don't think it's really necessarily.

Q11) Queuing… Do you like to see the ride whilst in the queue? Or do you prefer the sense of not knowing what is going to happen?

I'd rather watch the ride while I am queuing. Queuing is boring, so it's good to watch what you are going to feel in a few moments.

Q12) Because of the direct proportionality between rides and queue length, do you prefer short ride/short queue, or long ride/long queue?

Short ride, short queue.

Q13) Is there anything you would like to see improved/changed with roller coasters?

Not really actually, roller coaster manufacturers always seem to invent new stuff I would never think about.

I hope I helped and I wish you the best of luck with your project.

1. Male

2. I'm 15 years old

3. In general, I prefer steel.

4. I really like inverted trains. They make a ride very fun.

5. My favorite would have to be Millennium Force at Cedar Point.

6. When they're loading everyone into the train. So much tension, excitement, and fear is in the air.

7. Usually the first drop freaks me out the most.

8. Yes, but only a very tiny bit.

9. I like variety in my coasters, so yes I think it would be very fun.

10. Theming matters more in the queue, station, etc. to build up excitement and fear. Theming during the ride doesn't matter quite as much, but if you're going slow, then it's essential.

11. I'd like to see some of the coaster but not all of it, so there are some surprises.

12. Depends on how well done it is, but I would generally prefer a short, high capacity ride.

13. I would just like to see more innovation in the industry. More new ideas and inversions.

Q1) Male

Q2) 15

Q3) Steel

Q4) Seated

Q5) Batwing at SFA

Q6) The first drop

Q7) The height, # of inversions and speed

Q8) less scary but still thrilling

Q9) no

Q10) no

Q11) I'd rather see the ride before waiting in line for it because the wait might not be worth the actual ride.

Q12) short ride/short queue

Q13) not really

Q1) Male

Q2) 15

Q3) Both are great; for overall experience I probably prefer (good) wood.

Q4) Sitting with minimal restraints it by far my favorite.

Q5) El Toro at SFGAdv

Q6) Speed and intense airtime

Q7) Height

Q8) Definitely

Q9) I'm not sure I quite understand the question; but I VERY much prefer more extreme coasters (in forces, airtime, etc.).

Q10) For me, it's more about the I'm in. Theming is certainly a good way to better that mood, so I guess it's good.

Q11) I don't really care, both have advantages. Particularly with wooden coasters, not knowing the layout is better.

Q12) Probably long-long, to a point. A good coaster is always worth more time than a bad one, regardless of length.

Q13) I personally want to see more extreme rides, but with less overrestraint. OSTRs, in particular, are overused.

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male

Q2) How old are you?

I really don't care. As long its a roller coaster i'm happy.

Floorless by far!

El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure

A surprise drop/Airtime hill.

For me, Nothing. For most GP, The lift hill.

In my opinion, There the same every time. And that is not a bad thing!

Yes and no. It would be fantastic to have that kind of ride, But the GP might do... "Something Bad"

Q10) Themeing… Is the theme important in the overall ride anticipation and ride satisfaction?

YES! Even the worst coaster in the world is better with theming!

I Perfer both. Start out outside under the coaster then go inside for the other half.

I don't really care. I waited 1 1/2 hours for Kingda Ka and it was worth it.

YES! make the Tallest and Fastest roller coaster in the world with a lift hill. I would also like to see an inside out loop and MORE EJECTOR AIRTIME! WOO!

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male

Q2) How old are you?

Steel

Floorless

El Toro

Airtime, or the first drop

Quality of the park. Or if it has a past (Roaring Rapis SFoT)

Yes

Sure

Yes, very!

I like not knowing whats gonna happen

Long Ride Long Queue

I'd like to see more heavily themed rides, and not just at Disney

1. Male

2. 23

3. Wood

4. Well for a wood I love the single lap bar because when you hit air time you fly out of your seat

5. Balder, El Toro, and Voyage

6. Well if the ride goes 90 degrees then it would be that, but if not then when it gets the most air time

7. Well when I was younger the large drops and the angle of the drops always scared me but now they don't really scare me that much

8. Yes, I was once afraid of the drop on Medusa(SFDK) but now after riding it over 100 times it is not that scary anymore

9. Yeah hat would be awesome to ride and do

10. Yes, you can never have too much themeing, just look at Disney.

11. I like to not see the ride in the q, I think it gives it away and is not that surprising.

12. Long q/ long ride, I hate short q's they just bug me, especially when they go into the park because they are too short

13. More g-force

--Chris

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male.

Q2) How old are you?

Thirteen.

Wooden, for the excellent "rickety feel".

Seated. Most other positions are uncomfortable and awkward.

Coaster at Playland (Vancouver) as it has insane ejector airtime.

Airtime is defintely the most thrilling part of any ride, especially ejector.

The scariest part is the lift hill. When you are slowly climbing up it, you really start to have second thoughts.

It depends on the ride. However, if it's a good ride, it should thrill you every time.

No... sounds odd, to put it bluntly.

While theming is a great addition to any ride, it does not always matter. If a ride is fantastic, but has no theming, I don't mind. Also, theming can't exactly make up for a bad ride.... take the Dark Knight, for instance.

I like being able to see the ride in the line. It gives you something to watch; it can also freak you out.

In a perfect world, long ride/short queue... however, in this case, I'll have to go with short ride/short queue. Personally, I cannot stand waiting for a ride.

Most modern wooden coasters are not as good as the classics. Where have the forces and insane ejector airtime go? Modern restraints are also terrible. I can't stand when I go on a wooden coaster, and there is a seatbelt, lap bar, seat divider, and huge headrest. Bring back the simple buzz bars! Those are my main problems with current coasters.

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male

Q2) How old are you?

wood

Seated...Philadelphia Tobogan Company traditional trains with single position buzz bar lap bars...offers the most freedom and comfort IMO.

Phoenix

Airtime hills

not sure

Yes

?

In some cases yes and in others no. For example, a great ride like Superman ROS, Phoenix, or Boulder Dash needs no themeing, but some rides (like dark rides) completely rely on it.

Yes I prefer queue interaction.....if the queue is a custom-made queue designed for ride interaction. For example, seeing the last hill and turn on Millineum Force from a standard non-creative queue line is pointless IMO.

There is not a direct proportionality between rides and queue lenght!!!

I wish more wooden coasters would use buzz bars instead of ratcheting ones, and I wish GCI would make more of their coasters like Ozark Wildcat or the one in Germany (include airtime hills and not banked turn after banked turn!). I wish B&M would make more forceful inversions on their coasters. I wish Intamin coaster trains would give a BIT more freedom. Overall, I would like to see more simple layouts AKA more airtime and less turns and inversions.

Q1) Male

Q2) 12 y.o.

Q3) Steel

Q4) Flying, these cars give a sense of suspense and excitement as well as make it near impossible to tell where you go next.

Q5) Tatsu, Six Flags Magic Mountain

Q6) Unique elements such as pretzel loops, vertical lifts and such.

Q7) An element with very intense G-Forces

Q8) Yes

Q9) Only if executed with a nice theme

Q10) Yes, absolutely

Q11) I rather not see the ride if the queuing is nicely themed.

Q12) Long ride/long queue I rather have a much longer and more exciting ride rather than a ride that is short for smaller lines

Q13) I would like to see more high quality rides with high grade theming.

Q1) Male

Q2) 15

Q3) Wooden (out and backs)

Q4) Hyper (B&M) They are so comfy!

Q5) Vortex (Canada's Wonderland)

Q6) Airtime!

Q7) Large Hills and a HUGE steep first drop.

Q8) Yes

Q9) No.

Q10) Theming is very important, It gives the ride a great atmosphere.

Q11) I love surprises! I would rather have to anticipate and wonder what the ride is like instead of seeing it and wishing I were on it at that point.

Q12) Long Ride/Short Queue (Behemoth)

But I would rather have a Short Ride/Short Queue.

Q13) Lame Names (cedar fair) and Bring back suspended coasters!

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male

Q2) How old are you?

Depends on the ride. Either way I like aggressive rides.

Sit down, no restraint preference

Probably Maverick @ Cedar Point

Abrupt changes of direction, aggressive-ness

Not a whole lot, really. I used to be afraid of heights, but that sort of went away

Yes, some of them can become kind of boring after an extended time.

What do you have in mind here? It seems kind of difficult to really combine those things in any way that is hasn't already been done

Q10) Theming… Is the theme important in the overall ride anticipation and ride satisfaction?

Depends on the ride. If there's supposed to be a theme, it needs to work well - but I'm really not picky.

I prefer not to look at/hear the same thing for an extended period of time.

Short/Short

Nah, I'm not one to complain.

Q1) Male

Q2) 17 years old

Q3) Steel roller coasters. Wooden coasters can be fun as well if they are relatively smooth.

Q4) Sit down trains, because they don't usually cause any discomfort. Any type of restraint is fine if it is comfortable.

Q5) Maverick at Cedar Point

Q6) Large, steep drops, launches, ejector airtime

Q7) On most rides, the lift hill. On launched coasters, the time from when the restraints are locked until the ride actually launches.

Q8) The more you ride a ride, the less scary it gets each time. The ride usually doesn't lose its thrill unless it is ridden many times over a short period of time.

Q9) It depends on how extreme the ride is. I believe that at a certain point roller coasters can get too intense that people won't want to ride them.

Q10) The more intense the ride is the less theming is required to make it a good ride.

Q11) I think that parts of a ride should be visible from the queue but the best moments should be completely hidden.

Q12) I prefer medium length rides with a medium length wait.

Q13) I would like to see parks try to see how long of a ride they can fit into a small area.

Q1) Are you Male/Female? Male

Q2) How old are you? 20

Q3) When you go to a theme park, do you prefer riding wooden roller coasters, or steel roller coasters? Depends. Probably steel

Q4) Of all the different roller coaster trains, which do you prefer and why? Inverted

Q5) What’s your most favorite ride? El Toro

Q6) When your on a roller coaster what do you think is the most THRILLING part of the ride? (Gives you the biggest buzz/rush?) Air Time! Drops

Q7) What do you think is the most SCARY part of the ride? (Makes you think twice about it?) a steep incline

Q8) Do you think roller coasters are LESS scary and thrilling after you’ve ridden them once before? Depends

Q9) Do you like the idea of an extreme roller coaster? (Think roller coasters crossed with extreme sports) ????

Q10) Themeing… Is the theme important in the overall ride anticipation and ride satisfaction? Not really...but it does add a nice touch and depending on the THEME park, it should have considerable theming

Q11) Queuing… Do you like to see the ride whilst in the queue? Or do you prefer the sense of not knowing what is going to happen? through the queue...that way i will know first hand if its operating lol

I prefer shot queue...long ride lol

Q13) Is there anything you would like to see improved/changed with roller coasters? I think they are fine for now...some need to work on reliability, forces, and roughness/smoothness

1. Male

2. 21

3. Steel

4. Intamin Hyper Trains

5. The Voyage

6. Airtime

7. Sitting waiting for a launch

8. Scary-Yes, Thrilling-No

9. The more extreme the better

10. I don't think so

11. I like to be able to see the ride in the queue because it just builds up my anticipation as I watch it run

12. Long ride / Long queue

13. Higher roller coasters which aren't launched (Go over 400 feet with a lift hill)

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male

Q2) How old are you?

Both. They give different experiences that have their own pros and cons

Any kind of seated. Its the only one I have been on and stand up can be a bit difficult on "man parts".

Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park

Both the lift hill and extreme airtime. The lift builds anticipation, and airtime just scares the crap out of me.

Mostly its height and amount of airtime

Less scary, yes, less thrilling, no.

It depends. If the sport is something like mountain biking or snow boarding, hell yes! If it is a more traditional sport such as soccer or baseball, not so much.

Yes. Theme can make a bad ride enjoyable or a great ride even better!

I find that not knowing what the hell is going to happen the first time on a ride is AWESOME. But it diminishes over the next few rides

Really, there is not 'direct' proportionality between ride length and queue length. I would wait for almost anything once, but if its not worth it, I may or may not do it again.

Many, many things. Mainly, give us restraints that don't kill the ride experience! (Be it with pain or restriction of movement!)

Q1) Are you Male/Female? Female

Q2) How old are you? 33

Q3) When you go to a theme park, do you prefer riding wooden roller coasters, or steel roller coasters? steel

Q4) Of all the different roller coaster trains, which do you prefer and why? Seated, standing, inversion etc… seated, just more comfy

Q5) What’s your most favorite ride? Millennium Force

Q6) When your on a roller coaster what do you think is the most THRILLING part of the ride? (Gives you the biggest buzz/rush?) The first drop or launch, or a constant speed.

Q7) What do you think is the most SCARY part of the ride? (Makes you think twice about it?) nothing

Q8) Do you think roller coasters are LESS scary and thrilling after you’ve ridden them once before? No

Q9) Do you like the idea of an extreme roller coaster? (Think roller coasters crossed with extreme sports) yes

Q10) Theming… Is the theme important in the overall ride anticipation and ride satisfaction? yes, I love a good theme. It just makes the ride experience all the much better.

I like to see the ride while queuing. I love to see the ride zoom by or the excitement of the people. It gets me fired up more!!

long ride/long queue

Q13) Is there anything you would like to see improved/changed with roller coasters? Retsraints would be my main issue. I hate headbanging. I would rather see a foot restraint system like on Mr. Freeze rather than OTSR's

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male.

Q2) How old are you?

Too old. (44)

It depends on the park and the coasters, but I generally prefer steel coasters.

I prefer a regular sitting coaster train primarily for aesthetic reasons. They generally look sleek and fast.

Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Being at the back of a train and getting pulled over a drop.

Seeing how much some rides move makes me a little nervous sometimes. Like how the tower sways on Superman at SFMM, or how the track shakes in the "wing over" section of Flight Deck at CGA long after the train has passed, or the way the structure of almost all woodies shake and sway as the train moves along the course.

In general yes, but the ride experience can differ from one visit to the next, so I'm sometimes caught off guard even on rides that I'm reasonably familiar with. Ghostrider at KBF comes to mind as a coaster I never really have a handle on as to what to expect each time I ride it.

It would depend on the execution of the theme. That general idea is already in place with the Tony Hawk Big Spin coasters, and the Evel Knievel coaster. I'm sure there are other examples as well. In at least the case of those coasters I listed, being themed to an "extreme" sport (skateboarding and motorcycle stunt jumping) doesn't make the rides "extreme".

Absolutely. Again though, the execution of the theme , or lack thereof, goes a long way in determining how effective it is in enhancing the ride experience.

A little of both, but I'd lean toward the latter.

I don't believe the premise of the question is entirely accurate and I don't feel that I can give a good answer without a little more information about exactly what it is that you're asking. Random examples off the top of my head: TTD is a short ride with (usually) a long wait. Colossus at SFMM is pretty long ride with (usually) a short wait. I believe the quality, or perceived quality, of a ride experience has much more to do with how long I'll wait in a queue than the actual ride length does. (If that's what you're asking)

More attention paid to efficient operations and queue management / enforcement. It is disheartening to see a coaster obviously designed for efficient operations (Tatsu's double station immediately comes to mind) routinely operated in such a manner as to render its design mostly useless.

Q1) Are you Male/Female? Female

Q2) How old are you? Sweet 16

Q3) When you go to a theme park, do you prefer riding wooden roller coasters, or steel roller coasters? Wooden for the good ol' woodie feel and steel for the more extreme element.s

Q4) Of all the different roller coaster trains, which do you prefer and why? Seated, standing, inversion etc… Sitting down, because standing is hard on the legs.

Q5) What’s your most favourite ride? BEHEMOTH! Look at my name!

Q6) When your on a roller coaster what do you think is the most THRILLING part of the ride? (Gives you the biggest buzz/rush?) The first drop of doom!

Q7) What do you think is the most SCARY part of the ride? (Makes you think twice about it?) Going up lift hills...The anticipation.

Q8) Do you think roller coasters are LESS scary and thrilling after you’ve ridden them once before? No, I've never really been scared of them. But yeah when you go on a new one you get off you probably want to do it again.

Q9) Do you like the idea of an extreme roller coaster? (Think roller coasters crossed with extreme sports) Yes indeed!

Q10) Themeing… Is the theme important in the overall ride anticipation and ride satisfaction? Themeing can contribute to quite abit.

Q11) Queuing… Do you like to see the ride whilst in the queue? Or do you prefer the sense of not knowing what is going to happen? It doesn't really matter to me.

Q12) Because of the direct proportionality between rides and queue length, do you prefer short ride/short queue, or long ride/long queue? Well I prefer long ride long queue if its worht it but lineups piss me off anyways.I can sometimes lose my temper in lineups.

Q13) Is there anything you would like to see improved/changed with roller coasters? Yes,Like someone mensioned about simple buzz bars and all that. Comming soon to an amusement park near you! The modern roller coaster! Complete with extra painful stapling! Ride now and we'll include free ride ops that staple the hell out of you and assign your seat for you!

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male

Q2) How old are you?

Steel, but then the parks I tend to visit the most dont HAVE wood coasters. From the wooden ones I have ridden I still think I prefer steel though.

B&M Inverted, they're basically the most comfortable for me, plus I always enjoy the ride. I have a little trouble getting into some other trains.

Nemesis at Alton Towers

My favourite bit is high g-forces =] Also big drops but I havent experienced many of those.

Honestly, no part. There isnt a thing about coasters I find scary anymore.

Not necessarily. I could ride Nemesis over and over again easily and enjoy every part of it. Coasters you dont enjoy that much first time you'll probably enjoy even less the next time.

Ummm maybe :\

To a point. If you took a copy of something like Nemesis and just stuck in on tarmac it wouldnt be as much fun, as it dives into the ground and goes really close to the walls and floor etc, giving a sense of speed. Also themeing adds to the experience but doesnt make a ride 'good' unless its based directly on the theming, like the Mummy Rides etc. Not that I lked that one anyway, but its based around the thming more than most coasters.

I like seeing the ride, it adds to the fun I think plus it passes the time.

Theres not necessarily a proportion, longer rides may have more trains, so you'd have to look at the PPH (persons per hour) it can handle, try www.rcdb.com. I dont mind waiting a long time for a good ride though, thats part of what comes with visiting a theme park so its expected.

Not really, I enjoy riding rides that are over 10 years old just as much, if not more than those which are new. Although it would be nicer if a lot of coasters were smoother and didnt smack you about so much.

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Male

Q2) How old are you?

Steel

Intamin hyper because of openness, comfort and small restraint size

X2

Ejector air

Spinning (afraid of puking)

Certainly less scary but not less thrilling

Yes

No, I would rather see that money go towards a more extreme ride

I like to see it, hear it and smell it

A longer ride is more important to me and if that means a longer queue then so be it

Q13) Is there anything you would like to see improved/changed with roller coasters? More intesity

Q1) Are you Male/Female?

Female

Q2) How old are you?

Wooden

Seated b/c the other types of trains don’t feel natural.

Q5) What’s your most favorite ride?

Ride, Drop towers Coasters, El Toro

The first drop.

The steepness of the first drop.

Yes, but they still are fun to ride.

If a coaster can be crossed with skydiving…that could be kinda cool.

For the park, yes. For a coaster, not really.

I like how Disney does the queues…they give a story and in turn makes waiting inline kinda fun/part of the ride.

I don’t think there is a direct proportionality between the two…you can be on an extremely long queue for a short ride (Kindga Ka). But to answer your question…I guess a long ride/long queue.

I’m a tall girl and OTSR’s stink…or with a lot of the older train rides, I get my knees squished.

Q1) M

Q2) 22

Q3) steel

Q4) b&M clamshell seats are my favorite. i hate all otsr.

Q5) eltoro

Q6) "if this lapbar was loose id fly out of my seat airtime."

Q7) stalling drops like sheikra, griffon.

Q8) no rollercoaster scares, only rides at the fair scare me.

Q9) somethings shouldnt be mixed.

Q10) Themeing… Is the theme important in the overall ride anticipation and ride satisfaction? expedition everest or any disney coaster with out the theming would be a crappy ride. theming helps create the coaster experience.

Q11) Queuing… Do you like to see the ride whilst in the queue? it doesnt matter after a while it becomes irrelevant

Q12) i always figured that popular rides have long queue and less popular ones have shorter lines. i dont think it depends on ride lenght

Q13) Is there anything you would like to see improved/changed with roller coasters? as far as layout/track design goes, coaster creators or any designers, can see the flaws in their work and improve upon them in future projects.