TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Remembering the 1980's...

spacemtfan

From Wes:

I think people look at the stuff from their childhood with rose colored glass. I bet people who grew up in the 70's and 80's think the stuff you loved from the 90's was crap.

Point well taken, Wes!

Well, after I did a tribute thread for the 1990's, I figured it would only be fair if I went a decade back and did a tribute thread for the 1980's.

The 1980's...The time when Ronald Reagan became president, MTV came on for the first time, Princess Diana marries Prince Charles, and Michael Jackson was becoming a big pop star with "Thriller".

Now, of course, being born in 1991, I wouldn't remember ANY of that stuff, but now that I have been assigned to research the 1980's for my Advanced Computer class for school, it's kind of fun looking back at the years I never saw.

So...what do you remember from the 1980's? What was cool back then (movies, theme parks, hairstyles, music, etc) that is no longer cool now (unfortunately)?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purple Rain.

Then hearing the unedited version of Erotic City on the car radio. Unfortunately my religious mom was driving and she said "What did he say?" and turned the channel to the gospel station. And I had just talked her into listening to the R&B station instead of all the holy rolling!

Damn him!

Terry

Tube socks, MacGuyver, and M.A.S.K. Not the stupid, green faced Jim Carrey character, but the bad ass cartoon from the 80's. Look it up.

Oh, and practically every stupid fashion seen in the young adult crowd these days is just a knock off of an even dumber fashion from the 80's.

Still my favorite decade, although I love this one too

Late punk days, new wave, and late 80s new beat. I still love all of those music waves.

Ateam, McGyver, Mtv, Live Aid, Prince, Iron Maiden, etc.

I was a teenager in the eighties so like Bryan Adams would sing : Those were the best days of my life. Although I love these days too

One downer in the 80s though : in 87-88 I had to fulfil 10 months of military service which was at that time still obligatory. I really hated those 10 months.

Oh, and practically every stupid fashion seen in the young adult crowd these days is just a knock off of an even dumber fashion from the 80's.

Yep. I just saw a girl rockin' the skinny jeans with the zipper ankles and checkerboard Vans. I just had to laugh. (not at her, just at the fact that I've seen it all before)

I just saw a girl rockin' the skinny jeans with the zipper ankles and checkerboard Vans. I just had to laugh. (not at her, just at the fact that I've seen it all before)

Yep. Of all decades to emulate, fashion designers have chosen the 80's.

I'm still scratching my head, too. I guess we should be looking for parachute pants to make a comeback any day now.

The time when Ronald Reagan became president...

Ronald Reagan? The actor?! And who's vice president, Jerry Lewis?!

<-------- Also of note.

Yeah, you wish it was Jerry Lewis. His Vice President was George H.W. Bush, father of...George W. Bush (you know, the guy who stole Florida) in 2000).

I totally forgot about the opening of Epcot! And the Disney-MGM Studios opened eight year later! Have to add that to my powerpoint presentation, for sure.

---space "came back from a school rally that sucked" mtfan.

Purple Rain.

Then hearing the unedited version of Erotic City on the car radio. Unfortunately my religious mom was driving and she said "What did he say?" and turned the channel to the gospel station. And I had just talked her into listening to the R&B station instead of all the holy rolling!

Damn him!

Terry

Your mom might like Prince now. He is now a JW! so look out, he might come knocking on your door!!!!!!

The time when Ronald Reagan became president...

Ronald Reagan? The actor?! And who's vice president, Jerry Lewis?!

<-------- Also of note.

Back to the future of course!

Some of my all time favourite movies were from the 80's:

Back to the future trilogy

India Jones

Top Gun

Caddyshack

Porkys

Airplane (called Flying High in Australia)

Predator

The Terminator

The 80s weren't that different from current times:

1) Commercial music sucked.

2) The fashion was weird, but didn't seem so at the time. Of course much of that is trendy again (striped polo shirts with the collar up).

I've had conversations like this before with many people, and we typically hit a brick wall when trying to decide which decades are "better". It's all so personal. I mean I was a kid in the 80s, so I have kid-memories of it; however I've been in my 30s for much of the 00s and have just loved those.

As far as technology goes .. Computer hardware has changed very little since the early 80s. Manufacturing processes have improved so we can fit more electronics in a box, but the basic design, layout and components are surprisingly similar. Software has come a long way, though.

Cameron.

here in germany, there is an author who wrote a book, called "generation golf" (

your first cheek to cheek dance and your first kiss while listening to berlin´s "take my breathe away" and the time when only 4 tv stations broadcasted in germany but you never have been bored because you had friends to play and hang around with.

i remember the 80´s as being a little fat boy who was forced to wear the clothes, my mother has chosen for me and the only problems that ruled your life was not to get bad grades at school or being the last one to be voted into the soccer team in sports...

i also remember my parents watching dallas on tv every tuesday night and denver clan every friday (btw, does anyone remeber the episode of denver when alexis appeared the first time as witness at court!).

in my opinion, the eighties has been a great decade to grow up, but i think you can´t understand the fashion, the music and the feeling of the eighties when you were born after 1982...

Being born in 1980 these were my 'kid' years but things that immediately come to mind are; He-man, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons, Corkscrew at Alton Towers, Erasure, Queen, The Goonies, Spectrum ZX, Commodore 64, Atari 2600(!), Liverpool winning everything in football, Subbuteo, Maradonna's 'Hand of God'...etc...damn I really miss these times....(apart from Maradonna and Liverpool )

Mash "By the power of Grayskull" 80

Being born in 1980 these were my 'kid' years but things that immediately come to mind are; He-man, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons, Corkscrew at Alton Towers, Erasure, Queen, The Goonies, Spectrum ZX, Commodore 64, Atari 2600(!), Liverpool winning everything in football, Subbuteo, Maradonna's 'Hand of God'...etc...damn I really miss these times....(apart from Maradonna and Liverpool )

Mash "By the power of Grayskull" 80

commodore 64! cool! do you remember games like "world games" or "space commander"?

..."goonies" was my first movie, i still love that cindy lauper song!

and :"by the power of grayskull", he-man rules!!!

he-man.jpg.1feb71c9a37be00b06829d8fd7faaa40.jpg

I still love The Goonies...I watch it every time it comes on.

My first theater movie was The Incredible Shrinking Woman. I still remember actually entering the theater.

I also remember seeing Savannah Smiles and Six Pack at the theater.

super-I still like Savannah Smiles too-trooper

51K6GFQYNNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg.9732900ed208dabe67be304beb9c0932.jpg

51M7RHP0Y2L._SL500.jpg.420449edb69d529031d90692e16f4096.jpg

Savannah_Smiles_front.jpg.81038eb0b2fe07b99e175d2ed3eda9ec.jpg