TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

^Yes, but the article didn't report about the company's connections to the Illuminati and their orbital mind-control lasers. Again, a tin foil hat is going to be your only protection in this war for truth.

Seriously, I think I've seen higher journalism standards in the Weekly World News when they used to report on Bat Boy...

dt

What would Hard Rock Park be like....ON THE MOON??!?!

it depends Wes.... can they prtect it from were-dragons and all the other otherkin on the moon?

Well, I'm hoping the new owners saw our recent photoshop contest as it sounds as though the park may not be keeping the "Hard Rock" name for the 2009 season:

http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/804201.html

The park opened in April and closed and filed for bankruptcy in September. It was bought by new owners, FPI MB Entertainment, in February. FPI's plan is to reopen the park by memorial day, but it's unclear whether the park will keep the Hard Rock name.

John Stine, director of sales and marketing for the park, said today that an announcement about the name should be made in the next few days.

"We're working on the name right now," he said. "Everything is on the table."

I remember a Hard Wok Buffet near Palisades Mall in the Nyack, NY area.

I'm crossing my fingers for the Hard Rock name resuming.

I've quite eager day by day to hear about the name situation of the park because if I'm going to make a "Park name or bust" sign it might as well have that HRP name.

ADMIN EDIT - PLEASE DO NOT DOUBLE POST. USE THE POST "EDIT" FUNCTION IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD SOMETHING TO YOUR POST.

• 2 weeks later...

An article in today's Charlotte Observer provides some more details about the plans for Hard Rock Park.

One thing that disappoints me is the apparent plan to do away with the current dark ride. I haven't been to the park, but that ride in particular always intrigued me, and I was hoping to make it out there this year to give it a try. Without that strange dark ride, their ride lineup seems quite run-of-the-mill to me.

I thought I just posted this, but maybe I got deleted for violating some rule or I didn't actually press submit...BUT, is knights going to be removed completely or just rethemed and opened as something new?

MOD EDIT: I accidentally deleted it. The delete button is right next to the Quote and Edit button for moderators.

But seriously, I don't think anyone is going to have an answer, it looks like this is a pretty recent development. You will probably have to wait for another article to be published to answer your question.

Without that strange dark ride, their ride lineup seems quite run-of-the-mill to me.

Actually without Nights in White Satin the line-up is "sub-par", not even good enough to call run-of-the-mill.

Agreed 100%. This will probably keep me from making the effort to go there opening weekend. Nights was a huge reason for my visit.

So they talked about how there needs to be more to do, and they follow up on that statement by removing a ride? The dark ride might have been....strange....but what's the harm in leaving it open? The operating costs can't possibly be that high.

Well, I'm hoping the new owners saw our recent photoshop contest as it sounds as though the park may not be keeping the "Hard Rock" name for the 2009 season

It makes no sense to keep a name that firstly probably costs a ton of money in licensing and secondly is associated with one of the largest amusement industry flops last year.

Maybe they'll just go with the generic "rock n roll" park to save too much re-theming...

Nights in White Satin was the best thing there--at least it was weird enough to be interesting. I wonder if there are any problems with licensing the music following the bankruptcy.

I see this in two different ways.

1) I can't believe they're removing the only unique interesting ride from the park!!! I mean seriously, it was so screwed up, weird, strange, and like others have said didn't take nearly as much staff as other rides!

2) The ride was very odd, it had very limited appeal, it was kind of 'hidden' in the old mall section of the park, and like others have also said a complete retheming might be a better idea for it.

Whatever...just keeps my thoughts of "this park has no clue what it's doing" going!

I have to disagree with the notion that removing this ride shows a lack of foresight. I went to the park last summer, had a great time and really talked it up to friends, etc. As much as I liked NIWS, I noticed that each time I rode, the ride only got a good reaction from one or two people in the car (the older folks as expected).

That said, they can probably turn this into some kind of interactive ride with said laser guns. A shame, yes. Stupid, no. I think the first mistake was using the old pottery for the ride. It is a nice open space but the ride was kind of removed from the main midways.

That said, I hope the park is thinking carefully about the way they want to present themselves theme-wise. I'd be fine with keeping a Rock 'n' Roll theme, but I hope it doesn't become a junky hodge podge based on which rides they could license the current theme.

One thing I really appreciated about the park was its attention to detail - the "sh*****g bricks" signs, sculptures, bathroom murals - so I hope that stuff is preserved.

My one suggestion would be to get rid of the Led Zep preshow. It's fun once but no way did I enjoy it 10 times. I think keeping the theme would be the best bet for this ride, but maybe have the video in the main queue instead.

I have to disagree with the notion that removing this ride shows a lack of foresight.

Really? What do you think it shows?

IMO, even if the new owners didn't think it was a good part of the lineup, it doesn't seem to make ANY sense to close a ride when you already have a limited amount of attractions and almost nothing for a kid to ride.

Now granted, I say this not have any idea of the attractions they plan to add, but I have to think that anything they are going to add won't be major since they plan to open in 2 months.

So what is a kid under 42" supposed to ride at this park if the dark ride is closed? Seriously...WHAT?!?!? I think the park has like 3 rides for under 42" and only like 5 rides for under 48". (Not counting the play areas, or upcharge ropes course)

And yeah, the theme may be a bit "odd" to you and me, but I would think to a kid under 48" inches they will be happy to be able to actually ride SOMETHING at this park.

IMO, if they don't like the theme, fine. Open it for this season to add it to the roster of things to do, and then make it a first priority to re-theme it for your 2010 season.

THAT to me seems to make the most sense.

--Robb "I pesonally think Elissa is right in her comments." Alvey

When you put it that way...

But yes, I actually agree with you Robb. That probably should have said that eventually restructuring the ride isn't a lack of foresight, as I meant more in the long run in regards to making it into a new experience. But you're absolutely right, as pickings are very, very slim for the younger guests. That was always my thought about the park, you can't have NOTHING for younger kids and expect them to have a good time. Though I wonder if they would be able to open the ride at all since I assume getting the rights for that would be difficult, too. Maybe change the name to "Electric Carnival" or something.

Did they at one point set up some carny portable rides or a little coaster, or did I dream that?

An yes, the themeing is going to have to be for 2010, there's no way in hell they can transform an entire park in a couple of months.

Nights was the only ride at the park worth reriding, not just because of it's really messed up theme, but also because it's the only ride in the park that has air conditioning! Until they throw in some more cool rides like maybe a log flume or rapids, they really shouldn't be contemplating removing or retheming it so quickly.

Chalk up another vote in the "this is your last season to get to the park" category!

I remember my displeasure and impatience at age 14 in 1995 going to "The Land" and any of the 360 cinema shows at EPCOT. This Moody Blues ride could really make it with the younger crowd at least a year?

Keep in mind that there is more than just the "younger crowd" to target. There is also the mom and dad who will not only know who the Moody Blues are, they will appreciate having something they can bring the whole family on and be indoors with air conditioning!