TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=12860243

Legal troubles continue to mount for Freestyle Music Park, after a Florida company filed a $1.07 million lawsuit against the embattled attraction.

Officials with VenCore Solutions, LLC, said they were led to file the lawsuit after the owners of Freestyle Music Park failed to comply with terms and conditions outlined in a lease agreement.

In a certified letter to Freestyle on April 20, VenCore Chief Operating Officer James P. Johnson demanded an outstanding debt of $339,687.12 be paid to the company by April 30.

After Freestyle failed to pay up prior to the April deadline, the lawsuit said VenCore inflated the balance owed to $1,074,738. The amount, according to Johnson, included past due lease rental payments, sales taxes, personal property taxes, collection costs, accrued late charges, plus attorneys' fees and costs.

In the lawsuit, VenCore also looks to repossess equipment leased to the park, including more than 120 two-way radios, speaker microphones and shelving.

Freestyle's latest brush with the legal system isn't its first after announcing it would not reopen for the 2010 season. The park's current owners, FPI MB Entertainment LLC, have been served multiple lawsuits for broken lease agreements.

Freestyle Music Park came under financial fire early on after purchasing the $400 million attraction formerly operated as Hard Rock Park. The park, according to officials, was purchased under bankruptcy for $25 million and more than $569,000 in outstanding debt.

I can't decide which is the bigger epic fail -

The original Hard Rock Park failing, which everyone said wasn't the best laid plan in the first place.

Or

Freestyle Music Park failing, which EVERYONE I know said was one of the worst ideas in the amusement park industry.

I'd have to say Freestyle Music Park is easily the bigger fail of the two. At least the Hard Rock Park guys were smart enough to jump OFF the sinking ship.

This whole story is just funny to me.

--Robb

The park was much cooler when it was HRP, so I'm going to have to go with Freestyle being the bigger epic fail. Plus, I knew they would fail with a name like Freestyle Music Park... Actually, I really liked HRP, their prices were just rediculous and they didn't have that many rides. If someone with a brain and money would buy the park, add a several more decent attractions, make the park cool again, and try not to act like an Orlando park this park would be a success.

I'd have to say Freestyle Music Park is easily the bigger fail of the two. At least the Hard Rock Park guys were smart enough to jump OFF the sinking ship.

I think HRP was the bigger fail because they spent $400 million on a park that wasn't even solvent as a $25 million park.

I definatly agree the place seemed much cooler as Hard Rock (never did go when it was Freestyle, but it just didn't seem to compare).

So when are the folks involved in the one going to finally give up? it just seems like a proverbial family member in a vegitative state with no hopes of a cure comming along for the many ailments

If someone with a brain and money would buy the park, add a several more decent attractions, make the park cool again

That will never happen because this person does not exist. Anyone with a brain knows that this park would be a failure no matter what. The area cannot sustain it.

Anyone who would buy the park and try to operate as a park again, doesn't have a brain.

The only option that makes any logical or business sense is to buy the park and sell all the rides.

--Robb

I agree with Robb.

I've never been to the area, but it seems like it might be better suited to a resort type area than a theme park type area. Maybe kind of like a DownTown Disney, a couple of hotels and then at night it becomes kind of a Pleasure Island type place and you can even do the Water Show.

This gives people the day to enjoy the beach and do some shopping, etc. and then party at night.

Does anybody familiar with the area think that something like that would work, or am I talking out of my ass ... again?

I'm not too knowledgeable of this kind of thing but can the owners of the park sell off their assets, coasters, whatever to pay their creditors? Or is that what the courts are likely going to make the owners do?

I just can't see some company buying the park to sell everything off. The land seems to be in a deadzone when it comes to profitability.

I agree with Robb.

I've never been to the area, but it seems like it might be better suited to a resort type area than a theme park type area. Maybe kind of like a DownTown Disney, a couple of hotels and then at night it becomes kind of a Pleasure Island type place and you can even do the Water Show.

This gives people the day to enjoy the beach and do some shopping, etc. and then party at night.

Does anybody familiar with the area think that something like that would work, or am I talking out of my A$$ ... again?

What I don't think you realize is that the location is not on the water or near the beaches. While it's only a few miles away, it's far enough away that people are just simply not interested in getting into their car and driving to it, when there are already ample enough places within walking distance of the water.

It actually failed once as an "entertainment venue" with theaters, clubs, and shows, then it failed as Hard Rock Park, then failed again as Freestyle.

When are the suits going to learn this property is not what the people of Myrtle Beach want?

Edited by robbalvey

Does anybody familiar with the area think that something like that would work, or am I talking out of my A$$ ... again?

Actually, the area already has two similar areas of Downtown Disney. One is in North Myrtle and it is called Barefoot Landing while the one in Myrtle Beach is called Broadway at the Beach. Broadway at the Beach actually has a few of the Pavilion's old rides in the Pavilion Nostalgia Park. They have the Pirate, Wave Swinger, Caterpillar, and the Carousel to name a couple. http://www.pavilionnostalgiapark.com/home.aspx I don't think anything will ever draw away the crowds in Myrtle Beach from Broadway at the Beach, Coastal Grand Mall, the Tanger Outlet Centers, and the beach. The only thing that ever did was the Pavilion, and now thats gone...

IMO, that is why Dollywood is such a success in Pigeon Forge (a town similar to MB). They do not have anything similar to Broadway at the Beach, an actual mall that you can go to, or sand and an ocean. They do have a Tanger Outlet Center, but it is more of a one-day type of thing...

i hear kentucky kingdom is looking for two gently used coasters, a B&M and a family ride. It would appear to me that it might be good business sense for whomever wins out getting KK to buy Freestyle for pennies on the dollar and then move the good stuff over to KK and sell the rest. but that's just what I would consider doing...

^^^To add to that, neither management team made the slightest effort to pull people away from the beaches or golfing. No shuttles, no partnerships with hotels/resorts, nothing at all. So they never had a chance.

no partnerships with hotels/resorts

Actually, Freestyle Music Park did do this with MANY hotels, but all of them were rip-offs. You were better off booking the hotel room and buying the tickets separately to get the better deal because they did the 2 for 17.76 all of July and did the 2 for 29.99 for the rest of the season... (they got desperate for customers ).

no partnerships with hotels/resorts

Actually, Freestyle Music Park did do this with MANY hotels, but all of them were rip-offs. You were better off booking the hotel room and buying the tickets separately to get the better deal because they did the 2 for 17.76 all of July and did the 2 for 29.99 for the rest of the season... (they got desperate for customers ).

I know it's really easy to want to correct people on small insignificant details and make yourself feel like the hero, but I got the gist of what Joey said without anyone needing to correct him.

If you read this thread, you'll know that we all understand that there was some effort, but no *REAL* effort, meaning that, on paper they could say they made the effort with the hotels, but no deals that actually made sense or really brought people to the park.

That is what Joey meant.

So please, before you go correcting someone, try to read the entire thread so you might actually have a clue about what they're talking about.

--Robb

How many of those hotels that they partnered with ran constant shuttles to and from the park and beach? Just selling the tickets doesn't mean anything.

That was the problem. You had to go out of your way to get there.

Edited by Jew

I wasn't trying to be a "hero" or anything, but I could see where you got the idea when I re-read my post, so I apologize. I was just saying the partnerships with the hotels were horrible and didn't offer any good discounts at all. I think if they wouldve not partnered up with so many, and just the main ones (Camelot, Breakers, Carribbean, Dunes Village, ect.) and actually provided great packages that saved you money instead of cost you more that the hotels could have drawn a lot more attention to the park.

The park did have a shuttle for a short while, but it was only one, and it ran only one route from Broadway at the Beach to the park. If anyone is at Broadway at the Beach, they definitely would of not wanted to go to the park that same day, they should have ran the shuttle down 501 to downtown Myrtle where the Pavilion used to be, atleast there you have people walking around looking for stuff to do and the shuttle pick up would be smack dab in the middle of the hotels.

As far as the area around the park... Around the park itself is a dump, but right across the waterway is one of Myrtle Beach's busiest areas, Coastal Grand Mall. SCDOT actually built a bridge (Harrelson Blvd) connecting the Coastal Grand Mall area to the park, but of course with road construction, the bridge took forever to build and didn't open until halfway through the year in 2009. If the bridge was built when the park opened up as HRP nobody would have had to drive down 501 and go through the former crappy Waccamaw area. They wouldve just had to get off at the 17 bypass bridge, which provides a lot better "first impression" of the area.

I doubt the park will ever open back up, but if it does, free admission is needed with the option of a wristband or pay-per-ride tickets, because thats what everyone who visits Myrtle Beach is used to (Former Pavilion, Family Kingdom, Nascar Speedpark, and now the Nostalgia Park). So that way people that drove out to the Coastal Grand Mall area could drive right across the bridge to the park and take a ride on a coaster or two or just check the park out. Just a thought...

I guess the economy is bad enough that it probably isn't feasible to build a +55 condos/retirement community, reuse the lake, and really be the best chance of wiping away any memory that it was a former outlet mall converted to an failed entertainment complex to a failed amusement park two times over. Wait, I guess the old people would complain about the low flying landing planes as well. I don't know the local market well enough to know if it's already saturated with those kind of communities or can support that even. I know about the abundance of golf in the area. I guess its best use is an airport approach. It's a shame they just finished building a bridge just off the south of the property across the waterway. I'm not really drawn to Myrtle Beach anymore since I got the park & Swamp Fox that I would want to drive by and mourn the place. Is Medieval Times ever going to relocate out of that complex to another in town location?

I would personally be fine if this park never re-opens, in the hope that the rides like Round About, Iron Horse, Time Machine and even the ride system for Monstars of Rock get sent to needy parks around the world.

Or they could just pick up the park & move it to Orlando. I'd be fine with that too.

Just watched the construction of "Hard Rock Park" on a documentation channel in germany. They introduced it with the words "If they finish the construciton of this park, they will write history" ... that sounds now like gallows humor. At the end of the docu, they show a subtitle, which informs you that the park has renamed and operates "NOW" as "Freestyle Music Park" and is presented as a success... without words.