TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

^Don't worry too much, I'm sure the B&M will find a good new home somewhere.

Well, a good new home somewhere.........

what about relocate it to my home park, Tusenfryd (keeping my travel cost to a minimum) .

It would probably look good squeezed in between Thundercoaster & Speed Monster & the Escalator.

^Don't worry too much, I'm sure the B&M will find a good new home somewhere.

Well, a good new home somewhere.........

what about relocate it to my home park, Tusenfryd (keeping my travel cost to a minimum) .

It would probably look good squeezed in between Thundercoaster & Speed Monster & the Escalator.

To be honest, the ride wasn't that amazing. If Tusenfryd ever got a B&M, I'd hope they'd get a different one!

--Robb

I voted yes, just because I think they might find one more party interested in getting a theme park for pennies on the dollar.

"There's a sucker born every minute." Which is why I voted yes as well.I also don't think they will make it an entire season before they shut down again.

I think that if an investor is found in the next couple weeks, the park will probably be able to have a Memorial Day to Labor Day season like they did last year. However, the chances of that are small, and if they can't find an investor I doubt they'll open, so I voted no.

If the park does close down, I wonder how many of the roller coasters will end up being relocated. The B&M will definitely find a new home, and I'm sure plenty of places could use a Vekoma roller skater, but I'm not so sure anyone will want the other three coasters (especially Round About due to the numerous problems that ride has had).

If the park does close down, I wonder how many of the roller coasters will end up being relocated. The B&M will definitely find a new home, and I'm sure plenty of places could use a Vekoma roller skater, but I'm not so sure anyone will want the other three coasters (especially Round About due to the numerous problems that ride has had).

I'm sure they would all get relocated. The Vekoma Mine Train is actually a very nice coaster, and with a bit of theming it could be a very good addition to many parks. Just look at what these parks did with the exact same ride:

Hell, they could sell it to Hong Kong Disneyland as Big Thunder Mountain! (and I'm not even joking!!!)

I have a feeling we'll see Max RPM relocated, but the wheel lift gone and a traditional lift put in it's place.

Soak'd, however, yeah, not sure who may want that.

--Robb

^ It really does! Hard Rock Park proved that putting one of those rides out in an open field is NOT what they were designed for! But the ones at the Happy Valley parks and Walibi Belgium where you're ducking in and out of tunnels, water falls, man-made lakes, bridges, etc, made those rides GREAT "family coasters."

--Robb

Hell, they could sell it to Hong Kong Disneyland as Big Thunder Mountain! (and I'm not even joking!!!)

You know, that's a really good idea. Like you said the highly themed mine trains are amazing rides.

This park is done. I guess Southern Star Amusements will not be riding to the rescue. I am shocked by this...

dt

I have a feeling we'll see Max RPM relocated, but the wheel lift gone and a traditional lift put in it's place.

--Robb

You forgot about the Roller Skater!!! Perhaps SFMM could buy it and have TWO 42'' Height Restriction Kiddie Coasters!!!

I voted No, simply because I just don't see this park getting another lease on life. Apparently the Myrtle Beach area just isn't conducive to having a major amusement park in the area. I'm sure someone will scoop up the majority of the coasters though.

And for the record, those pictures that Robb posted of those mine trains were AWESOME!! It's amazing what a little theming can do for a ride!

I voted no. A lot of reasons factor into this... the location, the current state of the economy... but ultimately, I don't think the park has a decent theme anymore. Hard Rock Park was a great idea, and had a popular brand name attached to it - I could have seen that succeeding, if properly managed. But "Freestyle Music Park" is pretty weak - totally generic and flaccid. I can't imagine it drumming up enough public interest to bring in the necessary revenue.

I do agree that the park losing that "Hard Rock" tag was a huge blow that "Freestyle Music Park" cannot live up to in any way. Their financial woes are a whole different subject. But I think that the driving force behind the park not working out is the area. Most of the vacation traffic appears to be within state, or in neighboring states. The times we've been there in recent years you see tons of NC, SC, and GA plates over over the resorts, not a lot from other states though.

Plus, if you want to go to the beach, there are plenty of nicer beaches along the coast. Myrtle Beach comes across as pretty crappy compared to the beaches in Virginia, NC, and Florida, (esp. Virginia Beach for us!). Other than Myrtle Beach, the main reason to go to MB seems to be the Golf. They have tons of Golf courses, and seemingly every single resort in the area either has their own course or has packages available for local courses.

MB is just not an amusement park friendly locale anymore like it was when I was growing up going to the Pavillion during vacations. And not just for Freestyle, if what has been said in recent months is true, Family Kingdom's time may be coming to an end too. Apparently, the original owner passed away last year, and the kids aren't showing a whole lot of interest in keeping the park alive. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I believe it’s true that Myrtle Beach attracts a good number of vacationers from everywhere, especially up here. I think their positioning strategy works extremely well as a destination given its popularity up here. That being said, its focus is very narrow that I’m not sure how those who they attract would be interested in an amusement park once there. Freestyle Music Park isn’t even on the radar as a reason to visit. As early as yesterday, even the beach isn’t promoted in their general radio advertising. Myrtle Beach advertising only happens in the winter. When many up here think Myrtle Beach, the only thing that comes to mind is a winter golf getaway. So unless you’re a golfer, there’s no enticement to go online or go to a travel agency and pick up a Myrtle Beach brochure to find out if maybe there might be something else to do.

The older or retired ‘golf vacation’ crowd in general isn’t interested in the beach, let alone an amusement park. I honestly didn’t even realize that its beach had any type of draw until this park’s location was being discussed. If Myrtle Beach is not known outside of state lines as anything but a golf or local/ neighboring state beach destination, how would they expect the influx of golfers (as an example) to change their plans and visit an amusement park? Wouldn’t their own national/ international marketing plan that included re-shaping Myrtle Beach’s overall positioning have helped outside of relying on a restaurant chain’s name? I did always wish them well and hoped that they knew what they were doing but it just wasn’t obvious and in the end, obviously isn’t working as hoped.

I don’t golf personally, so based on my understanding of Myrtle Beach, I never once considered it a destination of interest. Again as an example, imagine if golfers knew that, if they chose, they could take their spouses, kids and non-golfer friends knowing that there was a lot of other stuff to do?

Another point you brought up was the advertising. If I weren't a coaster enthusiast I probably wouldn't even know about the park. If I would, it would be very little since the park has never been promoted well by either owner. I've mentioned in the past that I have close friends who live in Columbia, SC, (roughly 2 1/2 hours away), who said they didn't even know the park existed until I told them about it. You'd think they'd at least try to promote the park within the SC, NC, GA regions. I don't know, maybe they have, but for some reason I get the feeling they didn't.

The location also really sucks for this park. Unless they advertise within the resorts many people may miss the park since it's not really close to most of the other attractions. People can say what the want about Family Kingdom, but they have prime real estate.

--Robb

You forgot about the Roller Skater!!! Perhaps SFMM could buy it and have TWO 42'' Height Restriction Kiddie Coasters!!!

I thought they were getting Kentucky Kingdom"s Roller Skater. Wow! What if they got all three?! Then they could have three dueling kiddie coasters with a height limit of 42". Can you even call it dueling if there are three? I tend to think that would qualify as a small gang bang. Wow! A gang bang with a height limit. That sucks!

Guy "Waiting for Mr.Six's Magical Musical Gang Bang Coaster." Koepp

^Having the park live up to its potential essentially means relocating the entire thing. The park is really nice and I had a very enjoyable visit last summer, but it's location is just awful. It seemed like most people in Myrtle Beach had no clue that the park was even there.

To me Freestyle Music Park is like the Cypress Gardens of South Carolina... You can have a really nice looking park but it doesn't do you much good if you're so far out of the way that you can't get people through the gates.

--Robb

I thought they were getting Kentucky Kingdom"s Roller Skater. Wow! What if they got all three?! Then they could have three dueling kiddie coasters with a height limit of 42". Can you even call it dueling if there are three? I tend to think that would qualify as a small gang bang. Wow! A gang bang with a height limit. That sucks!

Guy "Waiting for Mr.Six's Magical Musical Gang Bang Coaster." Koepp

The three rides should be synchronized to "Love to Love You Baby."