TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

I certainly don't see a park like this succeeding in Vegas though. This place reminds me of MGM Grand Adventures, just on a larger scale. (After an hour, you're bored, and it's only worthy of one visit because you feel ripped off!) And Las Vegas summers are brutal.

But totally agree with Robb here, when I lived in Vegas, there was ALWAYS something to do. Red Rock Canyon was AWESOME, Mt Charlston to go skiing, every show imaginable, some of the world's largest bowling alleys (open 24-7!). But heck, I won't lie, I gambled and drank all the time!

According to Freestyle Music Park's Facebook page (and I called to reconfirm this, considering I'll be heading there tomorrow), there will be a heavy discount thru Sunday in memory of Michael Jackson.

http://www.facebook.com/freestylemusicpark

Freestyle Music Park will host a Michael Jackson Memorial Weekend Friday, June 26, Saturday, June 27 and Sunday, June 28 to celebrate and memorialize the life and times of the “King of Pop” Michael Jackson.

In remembrance, the Park will have a memorial wall set up outside the main gate where guests and fans can come to write their thoughts and memories of Jackson. The Park is also allowing fans to leave flowers, candles and Jackson-related materials at the memorial.

In addition, throughout the weekend, any Park guest who either wears a single white ... Read Moreglove, dons a red zipper jacket, wears white socks with dress shoes or with the initials MJ will be admitted to the Park for $5. The admission price of $5 ties into Jackson’s beginnings in the music industry with his family as The Jackson 5. The Park will also be accepting donations from guests for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which was a Jackson-supported charity.

It will certainly be interesting to see what the day is like as the guests honor Jackson for his accomplishments. It was definitely a weird Michael Jackson day for me, as my employers played his greatest hits all day in the office...

I did the strip, the shows, the coasters of Vegas, Grand Canyon, the Dam, Old Las Vegas. If I go back I still have to do the red rocks park west of town. I'm not sure what else would be new though in Vegas. I'm over the town that looks in worse shape than in 2006. I know the Hard Rock Cafe: The Strip is coming at least.

"As an additional tribute, pay homage to Michael's style with the "Jackson 5" price. Any Park guest, who dons one of the following items will be admitted to the Park for $5:

* a single white glove

* a red zipper jacket

* a pair of white socks with dress shoes"

Cool Promo. I wonder if some minor league parks are doing that as well.

I've seen only a handful of Busch Gardens commercials up here in the Philly area but then the Williamsburg area commercials just avalanche over onto the airwaves. I wish the Myrtle Beach area did that with their golfing, beaches, Freestyle Music Park. They could slip a shot of the Time Machine in there just like Busch provides an Alpengeist shot for the Williamsburg experience commercial. HRP and FMP could have benefited from regional pooling not alone. Even Hershey recently as a region with Harrisburg created a commercial for a family stimulus plan; coming and staying in the Hershey area. Hersheypark is indirectly advertised there like the Williamsburg commercial.

It sounds like a good idea, even if it is a push for more customers. Not sure I'd where a white glove to the park but I guess if I wanted to get in badly enough I would!

It's funny, I saw a Myrtle Beach commercial on TV the other day and it seemed to go on forever. I think it showed every single tourist attraction in the city... except FMP. I'm gonna take a guess and say it was made before the park reopened, but it was still funny.

Freestyle Music Park has put out two new press releases this week to announce some new characters and a new deal for the Fourth of July.

Freestyle Music Park Introduces New Characters

July 1, 2009

Boom The Troll and Friends Are Park’s Newest Family-Friendly Interactive Characters

July 1, 2009, Myrtle Beach, S.C. – Freestyle Music Park today introduced three new family-friendly characters to the Park’s entertainment line-up. The trio will make their first official Park appearance on Saturday, July 4.

Consisting of Boom The Troll, Piper the Elf and Clover the Garden Fairy, the three characters live in the Faerie Glenn area of the Park’s Across the Pond land. Clover is a garden fairy who loves the tinker sound of bells. Piper is a forest elf who loves playing whistles and flutes. Boom is a 327-year-old playful troll who loves to thump and bang on his drum. They also like to invite guests to help them make music, and will ask them to clap along in rhythm to Boom’s playing. The group joins the casts of Flip 5 Live, Adrenaline Rush, Ice Cold Country, CSI Live, live bands, jugglers and stilt walkers as live entertainment for Park guests.

Prior to being formally announced, the trio traveled throughout the Myrtle Beach area with photos and video of their visits being posted on www.myrtlebeachtroll.com. Boom can also be followed on Twitter at www.twitter.com/BoomTheTroll.

“We’re thrilled to announce the addition of Boom, Piper and Clover to the Freestyle Music Park entertainment family,” said John Stine, director of marketing and sales for Freestyle Music Park. “Being a family-friendly Park, their presence only adds to our commitment in providing the best entertainment for the entire family to enjoy.”

Freestyle Music Park Hosts July 4th Celebration Special

July 2, 2009

Independence Day at the Park Features Special Pricing of $17.76 for Four Tickets, Free Admission for All Active and Retired Military and Their Families, Eating Contests, Food Specials and the Myrtle Beach Area’s Largest Fireworks Spectacular

July 2, 2009, Myrtle Beach, S.C. – Freestyle Music Park will host a July 4th Celebration this Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The Park’s Independence Day Celebration will include the special admission price of four tickets for $17.76 if purchased before 4 p.m. on Saturday. In addition, all active and retired military, along with their family members, will be admitted free of charge with valid military identification. Also in celebration of the military, patriotic paratroopers will arrive in the park via air at 3 p.m. Eating contests for children and adults, food specials and the Myrtle Beach area’s largest fireworks show will complete the Park’s celebration festivities.

The special fireworks show will be an extended 15 minute version of the Park’s “Kiss the Sky Rock N’ Roll Nighttime Spectacular.” In addition to the regular pyrotechnics show, it will include a patriotic themed addition with special fireworks and music. Fireworks will begin at 9:45 p.m. Due to the magnitude of the fireworks presentation, Myrtle Beach International Airport will close airspace during the “Kiss the Sky Rock N’ Roll Nighttime Spectacular” that evening.

The special fireworks show will include more than 20,000 individual shots from 55 different shooting positions on more than 110 acres of the Park. In addition, 35 trained and accredited pyrotechnics staff will be on hand to coordinate and monitor the show.

The Park’s eating events will consist of a pie eating contest for children under 11 years-of-age and a hot dog eating contest for adults. Children’s contest winners and those who place second will receive stuffed animals as prizes. Adult winners will receive a $50 merchandise voucher, with those who place second receiving a $20 merchandise voucher.

Throughout the day, the Park will offer a picnic for four for $17.76 at the Big Q Smokehouse. The picnic pack, available while supplies last, consists of four Nathan’s hot dogs, four Pepsi fountain drinks and a choice of four sides.

“The July 4th holiday is an important holiday to reflect on our nation’s history, our freedom and family,” said John Stine, director of marketing and sales for Freestyle Music Park. “At Freestyle Music Park, we are proud to be able to celebrate this year’s Independence Day by offering guests a great deal on Park admission and also by providing the biggest fireworks spectacular in the Myrtle Beach area. We believe that everyone who has a chance to join us on July 4 will not be disappointed.”

^ Amazing. So they are giving away admission at $4.44 per person on the Saturday of 4th of July weekend.

While on one hand you go "WOW! What a GREAT deal!" but on the other hand that tells me they are REALLY hurting!

--Robb

^It should also be known that all three of the "new characters" are being reported as not so new. Apparently, these were costumes from the former Malibu Beach Party show and are now being reused as new characters to tie in with the Faerie Glen. While I never visited the park under the Hard Rock banner, it seems plausible that these are recycled costumes put to use.

This isn't the first thing that has been reutilized within the park... The old Nights in White Satin: The Trip spinning metal things (can't really describe them better) now sit outside on strings in Myrtles Beach. The giant metal skull from the Heavy Metal Graveyard is now part of Monstars of Rock, as are the two skeletons that adorned the Rock & Roll Heaven entrance gate. Flip5Live! is mostly comprised of a combination of set pieces and costuming from the former Malibu Beach Party and Roadies Stunt Show experiences.

I think the park is asking for trouble with this promotion. I'm sure lots of people are going to go to the park for this deal. When other parks have given away free or charging next to nothing for admission it always causes problems (Knott's Cinco De Mayo, SFOG free ticket radio promotion).

If 1st time visitors go to the park and have to deal with packed midways, and huge lines, they might not want to return. I think the park would have been better off charging $14.99 or $19.99 a person as a special promotion. Very cheap for a park but expensive enough to not make the place jammed (I realize they want as many people as possible to visit the park though)

From looking at Adam's trip report, it appears that the park is getting some crowds in the evening; it's the daytime hours that look to be the challenge.

So it's worth noting that the cheap ticket deal is only available until 4pm, presumably an hour or two before crowds start to show up on a typical day. While the price point is really aggressive, in essence they're giving away only what they're having trouble selling.

I wonder if an adjustment to operating hours may be on the way, especially if the park isn't packed during the day on the 4th.

If they do find the market responds to price, then maybe it's time to look at selling separate early/late ride sessions (like Indiana Beach used to), with the early session being significantly lower priced.

It's all a learning process, and I hope they find the right formula to make it work.

I wonder if an adjustment to operating hours may be on the way, especially if the park isn't packed during the day on the 4th.

This is what I said originally too. I'm not even sure why the park bothers to open until 4pm.

--Robb

This is what I said originally too. I'm not even sure why the park bothers to open until 4pm.

--Robb

I went to the park yesterday with my son. Drove down from Charlotte. The park was empty during the day when we visited. Facts are this....not enough rides, and WAY too expensive. We were done in about 2 hours. The Ice Show was pretty strong and entertaining.

BTW...went to Family Kingdom the night before and the place was packed. Pay $22.00 with a $3.00 coupon. Had a great evening on all the rides.

Want Freestyle to survive. However, I don't know how when it cost $40 and less than 10 rides for teens and adults! Good luck.

Just got this in from Freestyle Music Park:

www.myrtlebeachtroll.com is a website for Freestyle Music Park's new costumed characters, Boom the Troll, Clover the Fairy, and Piper the Elf. I have been working on a viral marketing campaign for the park with these characters. We have been traveling around Myrtle Beach filming the trio as they try to find their way back to the park for their July 4th premier at Faerie Glen in the Across the Pond section of the park. They even have a YouTube Channel Trollinmyrtlebeach or on Daily Motion at http://www.dailymotion.com/freestylemusic. You can follow along on Twitter as well at http://twitter.com/BoomTheTroll.

Please go to the site and watch the videos. If you like what you see, please forward the links to others.

100_0050_2.jpg.ad166227f6fe16ebdbe77f30dc29b258.jpg

100_0038.jpg.4402c1c23a1845ac3af8b2f76520fac3.jpg

100_0028.jpg.11c95dcb2ace69d97dd4ca97b2360d07.jpg

^From what people have been saying, all three of those "characters" are using recycled costumes from former Hard Rock Park shows...

But I am glad to see that Freestyle is doing everything in their power to market themselves.

^From what people have been saying, all three of those "characters" are using recycled costumes from former Hard Rock Park shows...

But I am glad to see that Freestyle is doing everything in their power to market themselves.

Piper's Elf costume is a re-working of the old swamp costume. Clover's fairy costume is all new and Boom, well Boom doesn't wear a costume, he is a Troll and he just wears a newly made green vest.

News reports and tweets made it sound like it was one of the busiest days (if not the busiest day) the park has seen since opening as Hard Rock last year. If you watch the YouTube videos of the July 4 fireworks show, it looks & sounds like there was a big crowd. Hope these reports hold true!

Anyone got pictures from July 5th? I refuse to believe the crowds followed a troll with dreadlocks and fairy with pink spandex into the park. There clearly must have been a free sex and drugs giveaway to go along with the fireworks.

EDIT: ^ ahh, thanks, Chuck.