TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

12 days until opening...

Still no operating calendar, hotel partners, ride information, online ticketing system (btw, the SC and NC resident discount isn't even listed on their site)...

I hope for their sake the are bombarding locals with ads...

After opening weekend, Freestyle Music Park will operate a special schedule the weekdays of Tuesday, May 26 through Friday, June 5. On these select weekdays, the Park will be open from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. and offer a special $24.95 ticket price for adult guests and $19.95 for children. The Park will be open normal operating hours for Saturdays and Sundays during this time period. In addition, residents of North and South Carolina will also be eligible for an additional $10 discount off an admission ticket.

Am I the only person who is reading this as "We'll ONLY be open from 4-10pm weekdays, May 26 thru June 5, with normal operating hours on weekends." ?? A six hour operating schedule? Yeah. That'll turn a profit!

It's not really a discount, as much as reduced admission price for a shorter operating schedule.

JJ

(Reading is fundamental!)

Yeah sorry Jeff, I'm with Chris here!

This is the first somewhat good decision I think they've made. Lots of parks like this in a hot resort type place should only be open evenings and nights, with extended full day schedules on weekends and holidays.

Hopefully it will work out for them, but we'll see.

Yeah sorry Jeff, I'm with Chris here!

No, I understood that. But, it seemed to me that everyone else on here was thinking that the park would be open "normal" hours (10-10) and then offering a reduced gate after 4pm, which I'm certain isn't the case.

JJ

That is kinda worrisome whichever way it goes. If it's an audition, then I agree that FMP needs to step up their game, and if it's a rehearsal, let's hope she gets better and the show can start as planned.

Personally, I don't see FMP lasting more than a few months, at best. My high school ASB does a better job promoting things.

Ladies and gentlemen good evening

You've seen that seeing is believing...

The first commerical.

INTRODUCING “ADRENALINE RUSH” AND “ICE COLD COUNTRY”

New Shows Will Feature Extreme Sports and Ice Skating Themes

May 12, 2009, Myrtle Beach, S.C. – Freestyle Music Park today announced two news shows for the 2009 season, Adrenaline Rush and Ice Cold Country.

A fast-paced, high-energy competition, Adrenaline Rush pits two X-Games-style teams, “Team Extreme Rock” and “Team Extreme Roll,” head-to-head in a race for the World Cup Championship of extreme sports.

With a cast of 10 male and female skateboarders, in-line skaters, BMX bikers and announcers, Adrenaline Rush is teeming with extreme stunts on a stage filled with half pipes, grind rails, a pool and ramp launches. A show in which audience members can fully participate by cheering on their team to help them earn points toward the championship, Adrenaline Rush cast members perform their stunts to the latest hits by today’s top music artists.

Taking place four times daily, the 25 minute Adrenaline Rush show is set in the Myrtle’s Beach area of the Park.

In Ice Cold Country, urban country gets the ice skating treatment through this hand clapping, foot stomping, theatrical presentation. Great fun for the entire family, Ice Cold Country gives a new twist to yesterday and today’s urban country hits.

A one-of-a-kind show, Ice Cold Country combines country music, dramatic lighting, exciting choreography and dazzling special effects. In addition, the 10 cast members of Ice Cold Country are a troupe of world class championship skating stars.

Ice Cold Country is a 25 minute show that takes place three times daily and is set in the 860-seat Country Cooler Theater, which resembles a turn-of-the-century ice factory.

“We are excited to announce the additions of “Adrenaline Rush” and “Ice Cold Country” to our entertainment show roster for the 2009 season,” said John Stine, director of marketing and sales for Freestyle Music Park. “At Freestyle Music Park, we feature a bountiful number of entertainment shows, rides and attractions for children of all ages and as we move forward toward our opening day of May 23, we look forward to providing a tremendous season of ‘full-volume family fun.’”

It's probably the quickest thing they could pull together. Use the star attraction plus the station. Wasn't there a lift around that coaster reported a while ago? I guess they were shooting the ad.

I also read that the former EAGLES coaster will be called Ironhorse. That's already the third name for this coaster.

I'm surprised at how good the commercial actually was! I'd probably put it on par with some of the more recent Six Flags commercials, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

As we get closer to opening, this park seems to be growing more legit with each addition. That's not to say that I think every decision they've made is wise (turning their concert venue into a family stage show definitely is a complaint of mine), but I feel like the park is making a name for itself faster than Hard Rock Park ever did.

That being said, I'm going to join the legion that feels that Freestyle Music Park as a park title is growing on me.

^ Maybe they're trying to get their name out...

The map looks great, but I'm really digging some of the new ride logos as well.

EDIT: Does anybody know where Nights in White Satin is located in relation to other rides or which land it was located in?

In a weird way this is also a throw back to the old days of naming coasters and thrill rides before brand licensing and sponsorship. Always thought it interesting to see what some new coaster was going to be called. Some of the names might seem generic, but, in a way, it's kind of refreshing.

Really hope these folks make a good go of it.

10 days until opening and their website finally has crucial info such as a park map and park hours for the whole summer. Still need to give up on the whole "blog" idea and finish transforming the site into a traditional park site with detailed descriptions, online ticketing, hotel partners, etc. The whole "blog" thing reeks of someone in marketing thinking they are cool for being right on the forefront of the blogging/facebook/myspace/twitter craze.

I'm not a fan of the press release barrage either. Isn't that one of the things they cited that the old management did wrong? Relying solely on word of mouth/press as opposed to an actual advertising campaign?

I disagree about the commercial too. It was fun, and would be a great commercial for something that is already established. But for a commercial selling the grand re-opening of the park...it fails miserably. They spent the whole time focusing on a B&M looping coaster, then closed with calling the park family friendly?!?! Not to mention the fact they didn't even mention the grand re-opening of the park, any deals (which is typical for most parks to place at the end of an ad), any other attractions in the park, or any other information besides linking to that horrible "blog" of theirs.

10 days until opening and their website finally has crucial info such as a park map and park hours for the whole summer. Still need to give up on the whole "blog" idea and finish transforming the site into a traditional park site with detailed descriptions, online ticketing, hotel partners, etc. The whole "blog" thing reeks of someone in marketing thinking they are cool for being right on the forefront of the blogging/facebook/myspace/twitter craze.

I'm not a fan of the press release barrage either. Isn't that one of the things they cited that the old management did wrong? Relying solely on word of mouth/press as opposed to an actual advertising campaign?

I disagree about the commercial too. It was fun, and would be a great commercial for something that is already established. But for a commercial selling the grand re-opening of the park...it fails miserably. They spent the whole time focusing on a B&M looping coaster, then closed with calling the park family friendly?!?! Not to mention the fact they didn't even mention the grand re-opening of the park, any deals (which is typical for most parks to place at the end of an ad), any other attractions in the park, or any other information besides linking to that horrible "blog" of theirs.

Having dealt with PR way too much, i can tell you the press release is beyond worthless to the general public. They want stories that are easy to read in familiar styles. They don't want a story before it is sent out to be edited by a news agency.

This park's PR is basically being ran on the "new school" style of PR . That is fine if you are a place marketing to the 15-30 age range. Problem is they are trying to make this a family park. This can and will blow up in their face.

EDIT: Does anybody know where Nights in White Satin is located in relation to other rides or which land it was located in?

It's #26 on the map "Coming Soon"

I disagree about the commercial too. It was fun, and would be a great commercial for something that is already established. But for a commercial selling the grand re-opening of the park...it fails miserably.

Agreed. It's actually a decent commercial but plays like "You already know we are a park, so now we are introducing you to our new looping coaster."

I think they may be underestimating that most people have a clue as to what's going on.

Everyone here at TPR knows the story...the WHOLE story. 99% of the people seeing those commerical are the same type of people who still think that Magic Mountain is closed.

They spent the whole time focusing on a B&M looping coaster, then closed with calling the park family friendly?!?! Not to mention the fact they didn't even mention the grand re-opening of the park, any deals (which is typical for most parks to place at the end of an ad), any other attractions in the park, or any other information besides linking to that horrible "blog" of theirs.

Also agree. The B&M is not a "family friendly" ride. Unless of course everyone in your family is over the age of 10 years old.

And Joey is 100% right. It lacks ANY information about what FSMP even is!

I think it's a good commercial for *US*, but we aren't the target market. It fails on so many levels, even though creatively, it's decent.

--Robb

^ Maybe they're trying to get their name out...

The map looks great, but I'm really digging some of the new ride logos as well.

I think it's number 26 on the map which says "Coming Soon"

*EDIT* Robb beat me to it

Also the commercial was decent but not great. They concentrate only on The Time Machine and don't mention the new family attractions or shows. For a park with the family in mind, they did a poor job of marketing that aspect of the park.

Did anyone else notice the "Kiss The Sky" fireworks show?