TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

They've got just about as many rides as BGE, and that's $60. I think $40 is reasonable for the lineup they have.

Price is just as much a result of local economies/cost-of-living as it is quantity/quality of rides.

Please tell me you just didn't put Freestyle Music Park in the same sentence as BGE. Come on, it's an insult to the quality of Busch parks in general. I think a better comparison would be Wild Adventures.

They've got just about as many rides as BGE, and that's $60. I think $40 is reasonable for the lineup they have.

Price is just as much a result of local economies/cost-of-living as it is quantity/quality of rides.

Yeah, quite an odd comparison to go with. I mean, any state fair has as many or more rides than the Magic Kingdom. Does that mean the state fair should be a $70 ticket?

Some state fairs that aren't wristband night can end up being $70!

Seriously, I'm not sure what to think about $40 for this place. I haven't been there, so it is hard for me. From one end it seems like they have some stuff there to warrent the price tag, but from what I hear, they just don't have enough to warrent that high of a price. I know that $40 wouldn't get me there in hurry, and that is what I'm going off of. I'm not even sure if I would stop there for $40 if I were in the area for a couple of days from what I hear about the place.

They've got just about as many rides as BGE, and that's $60.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

OMG! OMG! OMG!

*picks self off the floor*

Wait...I'm not done....

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

OMG! OMG! OMG!

My side hurts.

Wow. That was awesome. I love TPR. Brings out the comedians in all of us!

--Robb "Wes has competition!" Alvey

$40 is a lot compared to other similar parks, but no park has as minimal a flat ride line-up as this place. There is really not a lot to do after riding the operating coasters and watching the shows.

However, keep in mind this is the town of $7 mini-golf and $19 for Ripleys. If I had to make a choice of $26 (for Ripleys and Mini Golf) or $40 for Freestyle I'd probably choice Freestyle. But it be nice if that $40 included some water rides, more flats, reliable coasters and shade.

^I know but I didn't want to rehash what has already been said numerous times, just trying to add some new info into the equation.

Most people visiting Myrtle Beach have a car, and personally I don't think it is too far from the beach. Especially when you consider that vacationers to other destinations travel a lot further to other attractions.

Sea World and Universal are proabably are similar distance from WDW as Freestyle is from the beach area. I'm only comparing distances, not park quality.

I don't understand all the fuss...

The park has to find a way to stay afloat, and if they were to charge half of the amount they are charging now, there is no way a profit (or anything close to it) could be made.

At first, $40 may seem like a lot, but it is still a drop from last years' price of $50. Not to mention, that price was set for all visitors. The park is now offering a reduced price for children (with the addition of a new, small, children's area), and apparently, many discounts.

I don't think the price is that big of a deal, as long as gas prices stay down. Everyone keeps jumping to the conclusion that this park will fail, but it deserves a second chance. Music Park has yet to open for the 2009 season, so how can any of us REALLY predict what the park has in store for the future?

$40

I think you would have a much better chance at making more money if the admission was closer to $20 and hope that twice as many people show up. If they would just build a business case around getting people into the gates first it would make a lot more sense.

^ Let's hope so. This is what they need.

quote="DBru"]The park has to find a way to stay afloat, and if they were to charge half of the amount they are charging now, there is no way a profit (or anything close to it) could be made.

At first, $40 may seem like a lot, but it is still a drop from last years' price of $50. Not to mention, that price was set for all visitors. The park is now offering a reduced price for children (with the addition of a new, small, children's area), and apparently, many discounts.

First off, has anyone actually heard about "many discounts" or are we just making assumptions?

Secondly, the price probably wouldn't be such a big deal if parks like Carowinds or Six Flags Over Georgia were less money for a *LOT* more.

And I'm not even talking a few rides more, we're talking a *LOT* more.

Carowinds you get a park with twice as many attractions as HRP PLUS a full water park for $5 less. At Six Flags Over Georgia you get a great line-up of coasters and enough for the family to do for $10 less.

That's my biggest complaint about the price. How do they justify MORE money than those other parks, while still a good distance away, are still the closest compeition, and I would assume that a large amount of Myrtle Beach's tourists probably come from the areas that those two parks service.

Of course they have to stay afloat and make a profit, but they also need to get people through the gates. Something the previous owners failed at.

When they bought the park, they bought it (from what I understand) free of any debt. So now they have wiped the slate clean and need to get people in the park. I'm not convinced that a $40 admission price is going to get them that.

--Robb

I don't think the price is that big of a deal, as long as gas prices stay down. Everyone keeps jumping to the conclusion that this park will fail, but it deserves a second chance. Music Park has yet to open for the 2009 season, so how can any of us REALLY predict what the park has in store for the future?

Lets count the reasons...

1. It's being run by the same team that failed at Cypress Gardens.

2. Potential litigation from the previous shady ownership group.

3. Still the highest priced "family" attraction in the area.

4. The attraction line up is still extremely lackluster.

5. The location is still an issue (10-15 minutes from the beach)

6. Face an uphill battle rebranding

First off, has anyone actually heard about "many discounts" or are we just making assumptions?

Of course they have to stay afloat and make a profit, but they also need to get people through the gates. Something the previous owners failed at.

When they bought the park, they bought it (from what I understand) free of any debt. So now they have wiped the slate clean and need to get people in the park. I'm not convinced that a $40 admission price is going to get them that.

--Robb

I'm making reasonable inferences based on this interview, and other articles that can be found around the internet.

A. L.: Why do you think Hard Rock Park failed? What will you do differently?

S. B.: We feel marketing was a huge issue. The past management did not build relationships with the tourism infrastructure at Myrtle Beach. They didn't make any friends; they didn't market with the hotels; they didn't have anybody selling their tickets. They really goofed on Marketing 101 in the theme park business. We've been met with open arms and encouraged by the Myrtle Beach community. They've been telling us that the past group did not reach out to them, and that was their fatal flaw.

We realize what it takes, and their marketing program was astounding to us. I think they believed that the Hard Rock name was strong enough to speak for itself and it would sell tickets for them. It is recognized worldwide. But I don't care whose name is on the park. You have to let people know you're here and keep reminding them why they should visit.

Price was definitely a problem [Hard Rock Park had a $50 one-price-for-all-ages policy]. We are addressing that.

J. S.: The general admission will be $39.95 for adults and $29.95 for children, ages 3 to 9. We will have special offers targeting residents and will develop offers for visitors with area tourism partners.

S. B.: Some have said that Myrtle Beach is not the right place for the park. We don't agree at all. It's one of the few [major vacation destinations] in the country that didn't have something like this. We're also addressing the criticism about lack of rides and things to do by bringing in a new children's area as well as a new, distinctive family area. And I think the park focused too much on hard rockers. We're going to make it more family friendly and soften the image.

http://themeparks.about.com/od/findusthemeparks/a/SteveBaker_2.htm

I mean, I agree that this is an uphill battle, and $40 does seem quite steep for a park of this caliber...but I don't think the evidence shown is enough to deem Freestyle Music Park inevitably doomed.

^Here's a better question: what evidence is there that suggests the park will be successful? Nothing the new ownership grown has shown so far has made me believe things will be different.

^Well...

1.) They are trying to bring more focus to the families, by adding a small children's area.

2.) They are (slightly) lowering ticket prices, and offering discounts.

3.) They plan to make much better use of advertising/marketing, to help bring people in the gates. (Something the previous management failed to do.)

While those are just three smalls steps in the right direction, they are indeed, taking steps in the right direction...

^^ Not one of those three things seem significant enough to make a difference. If we had heard things like:

- General Admission $29.00 for adults, $19.99 for kids and an after 5pm discounted ticket of $19.99 (all ages)

- Discount coupons in all area hotels for $24.99 for adults.

- Transportation shuttle provided between beach front and park from opening to closing. (Even at a cost of like $5 round trip...still cheaper and more convenient than driving and parking!)

- Making an effort to lower the height restriction on the mine train so 42" kids can ride it (like all the other Vekoma mine trains out there!)

- Etc, etc, etc...

These are the kinds of things I was hoping we would hear from the new owners. The type of improvements that make you go "Wow! I'm impressed! These f**kers really have a chance at success!"

So far nothing I have heard impresses me. Period.

--Robb

^This is a serious question...not trying to be a smart-a$$.

Have you emailed the park, or contacted the new management in any way to inform them of some of the changes you would like to see? I mean, it's apparent that they are over-looking many factors that they should not be over-looking.

I know that is not your job, but with an amusement park in this situation...I think Robb Alvey's advice (considering you are very well-known in the Amusement Industry) could really help them out.

I don't want to see the park fail...and I don't think anyone here wants to see ANY more parks bite-the-dust. If you sent them some suggestions, it may really have an impact on Freestyle Music Park's future.

Just saying...