TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

Did anyone read the article posted a few pages back? The Freestyle name comes from the Russian partners who are developing a park in Russia under that banner.

So as someone (packfanlv or Robb) pointed to a couple of pages back with Chinese naming conventions, "lost in translation" also plays a part in this name.

I saw that too. After reading the article, I like the name even less....and I hate it to begin with! I feel there were two MAJOR "fails" on the name:

1. The word "Freestyle" alone just is a strange word to begin with, and certainly doesn't seem to fit an "amusement park." Perhaps in Russia this name may ring a better bell, but in the US, it just sounds really wrong.

2. "Freestyle Music" - Now that you know they weren't replacing the word "Hard Rock" with "Freestyle Music" (like as if they ran the words through Mr. Thesauraus or something) it makes even LESS sense. I forget who mentioned it, but I think even the name "Freestyle Park" is better than "Freestyle MUSIC Park" because "Freestyle Music" exists as an entity which may confuse people into thinking the park is based on some off the wall music genre.

Basically, it seems to be that this Russian group wanted really badly to use the "Freestyle" name (That's the name of their company), and that was part of the deal. They kept "music" because of the original music theme. And probably had NO PROBLEM trademarking that name because, quite frankly, it's terrible.

I really think a little more thought should have been put into it other than just taking the name of the company and slapping the words "music park" on the end of it.

Seriously, I was giving them SOME credit that there was a little bit of thought put into the name, but now after reading that article you come to realize that ZERO thought was put into the name.

--Robb

how long till the park goes bust i wonder? ill give it a year. For the tens of people who went to hard rock park there going to get put off by the name freestyle music park. I mean who would want to go to a park called freestyle music park!? This goes to the top of my list of stupid names for theme parks but it might work we will just have to give it some time to find out. and if an american theme park changes its name to something quite entertainingly stupid i would like to see England change a name of one of there parks something like Freestyle manor or Classical Towers or Pop Park! how funny would that be?

^^ yeah right on ^^

Whats bizarre about all of this is it is being "re-done" by a group of people that should have known better! This really, really is a horrible name - not just because it sounds awkward and weird, but more because there is really not a viable way to brand it and sell it in multiple markets. The average consumer (who they need to attract to make this park successful will not *get* the name.

So really there are three possible theories -

- Placeholder name with no intent of making it to opening day. Perhaps from a legal standpoint they had to come up with a name and "marketing" once they lost the HRP name.

- Those damn russians! Perhaps the pressure was so great from the russian group that even those on the team with years of theme park and marketing experience turned a blind eye and realized if it fails again they can blame it on the location, not the name.

- Pure and utter stupidity. Someone loved the name and everyone else was afraid to say no.

hmmmm..

Seriously, I've come up with better names for theme parks than "Freestyle Music Park".

Why couldn't they have used something like "Melody Beach" or "Harmony Harbor"... I know, not the best but a lot better than "Freestyle Music Park"?

Freestyle Music Park

vs.

Freestyle Melody Beach

vs.

Freestyle Harmony Harbor

Opinions?

Sincerely,

R.C.

Whats bizarre about all of this is it is being "re-done" by a group of people that should have known better! This really, really is a horrible name - not just because it sounds awkward and weird, but more because there is really not a viable way to brand it and sell it in multiple markets. The average consumer (who they need to attract to make this park successful will not *get* the name.

So really there are three possible theories -

- Placeholder name with no intent of making it to opening day. Perhaps from a legal standpoint they had to come up with a name and "marketing" once they lost the HRP name.

- Those damn russians! Perhaps the pressure was so great from the russian group that even those on the team with years of theme park and marketing experience turned a blind eye and realized if it fails again they can blame it on the location, not the name.

- Pure and utter stupidity. Someone loved the name and everyone else was afraid to say no.

hmmmm..

Even though it's not likely, I hope it's the first one.

Ticket Prices have been announced:

http://discovermyrtlebeachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2096

GENERAL ADMISSION

Adults: $39.95

Children: $24.95 (Ages: 3-9)

SEASON PASSES

Adults: $74.95

Children $44.95 (Ages: 3-9)

While it's good to see the park drop the price, I still think $39.95 is very expensive for what that park has to offer.

I mean, a ticket to Cedar Point is only $5 more! Or a better comparison is Carowinds. An adult ticket is $36 and the kids ticket is $21.99. Six Flags Over Georgia is $29.99 for all ages.

How can they justify being MORE EXPENSIVE than a park like Carowinds or SFOG??? That's just insane!

I really, REALLY hope they have a ton of discounts and coupons and no one that goes to the park is paying much more than the kids price of $24.95. Personally I think THAT is the right price point.

This park should be no more than $24.99 for adults and $15 bucks for kids.

There is just simply NOT ENOUGH TO DO to justify a $40 admission.

Get there this season. There won't be a 2010. And if there is, I've lost all faith in humanity.

--Robb

Those prices are far too much for this park.

Personally looking at the situation I don't see it being possible that this park can have a 2010 season. First off there is a lot of talk about people being bitter over the building of the park in the first place, well just because it changes names doesn't change that situation. Furthermore people now are going to have it in their heads that the park has failed and closed (because it did), which will be a major problem for them. With the economy like it is right now I just can't see people making the trip to this park where they will end up paying more than if they went to another park in the region. Robb has mentioned to get there before the end of this season. I think if you really want to go you should move faster then that, because I simply don't see this place making it through an entire season.

I mean, a ticket to Cedar Point is only $5 more! Or a better comparison is Carowinds. An adult ticket is $36 and the kids ticket is $21.99. Six Flags Over Georgia is $29.99 for all ages.

How can they justify being MORE EXPENSIVE than a park like Carowinds or SFOG??? That's just insane!

These were my thought exactly. And also, the park is now without the dark ride (is that correct? I'm not up on my FSMP trivia), and still has a temperamental Premier coaster that may or may not run most of the time....at least to my understanding.

Yeah, what a great value.

^ In one of the articles I did read they would open the dark ride, but without the Moody Blues theme. But then I've also heard conflicting reports. We'll just have to see when the park opens!

--Robb "Even with the dark ride, $40 is still too much." Alvey

They've got just about as many rides as BGE, and that's $60. I think $40 is reasonable for the lineup they have.

Price is just as much a result of local economies/cost-of-living as it is quantity/quality of rides.

Yeah I don't see how you could even compare BGW (I don't call it anything else!!!) to Hard Rock Freestyle Fail Park. BGW MUST have more rides, and even if the numbers are comparable, the quality of the rides certainly isn't! Add to that all of the live music and shows at BGW, not to mention the atmosphere (SHADE!), and everything else...wow...still shocked that someone would compare those two parks.

Like Robb said, the better comparison would be to a park like Carowinds or SFoG...but even those, wow. Doesn't Carowinds Admission include the water park as well? And SFoG has TONS more rides.

I guess as long as they offer really good coupons (like Six Flags Coke Cans, etc.) it's a fine 'starting price point', but I don't like the idea of charging that much.