TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

"International Travel Destination"........translation= there's mexican maids in the hotels and we get a few people from Canada sometimes.

As far as the name:

"Stupid is as stupid does"......time for a countdown to failure of this park.

Eh, whatever. It's not that bad. They needed a new name and they wanted to stick with a music theme. There's been a lot of posters claiming they could do better, but the only examples I'm seeing are generic, difficult-to-copyright names like "Music Park."

I'm sure the new owners, and the vast majority of the general public, don't associate the term Freestyle with any particular type of music, but will instead just read the name as "all types of music park."

The logo is pretty basic, but as another poster pointed out, so are Six Flags' and Cedar Fair's. Maybe they want it to be basic so they can put little triple doodles on sidewalks and park benches.

As for failure...well, yeah, they might. But remember, they don't have to make as much money as the previous owners did, because they spent far, far less to buy the park than the previous owners did to build it.

And finally, while I'm being contrarian, I'll leave you with this thought: I'll take funky and slightly amateurish over slick and corporate any day--especially since slick and corporate already failed so hard.

/Where are all the folks who normally complain about people complaining about names?

^ I totally agree with you! The name isn't too bad and the logo looks FAR better than CF's boring businesslike logos. The name could've been MUCH worse anyway.

After reading the interview, the new owners seem to be focusing more on family attractions and getting their name out. I have a feeling this park does have a chance with the new owners.

After reading this I've realized that I have to go to this park this year if I ever wanna ride those 5 coasters. I think this will cause them to lose park visitors.

Can't wait to go to Freestyle Music Park....

Lose visitors? There weren't very many visitors the first time around.

Yea yea the name sucks, we got that the first few times it was said. What truly matters is whether they will survive this time around, and if they lower the ticket cost, I'm sure they will. I think Kennywood and Dollywood are stupid names, but that never stopped me from going.

I'm sure that out of the few people that went to the park in the first place, a good percentage of those people went because of the Hard Rock name. Hard Rock Cafe and Hard Rock Hotel have a reputation and I'm sure that some of the people that went to the park went because of that. Lowering their ticket price will help them, but that's not going to turn the park around.

Just had this conversation with a co-worker:

Me: "Oh, I was just looking about news on the now "Freestyle Music Park" in Myrtle Beach.

Co-worker: "What's that?"

Me: "A theme park that used to be called Hard Rock Park. You know, like the restaurants of the same name. It opened last year, but didn't even last a whole season."

Co-worker: "Hard Rock? You mean those restaurants are still around?"

Oh yeah, and we live within range of where the park should have been advertising in the first place.

Not important, really. Just amusing.

And finally, while I'm being contrarian, I'll leave you with this thought: I'll take funky and slightly amateurish over slick and corporate any day--especially since slick and corporate already failed so hard.

But they're not going for funky and amateurish. They're charging $40 and trying to do the Cedar Fair thing without an established following. Or a lot of rides or anything. They're doing a cheap knock off of a failed concept. What makes them think that people will be any more interested in this concept than they were last year?

I think the haters are right. They need to think this through more if they aren't going to become the third straight failure in this amusement park Bermuda Triangle.

I don't think the name is that horrible. Freestyle Parks I suppose is the name of the chain they are trying to create. So really, the name of the park is "Music Park". Just think, there are water parks out there called "Water World"... is it really that bad?

I think they said somewhere in the press release that they chose to put "Freestyle Music" as two words on there as a move to make it more attractive to families or a wider music-oriented audience or something.

MAYBE they intend to make a "Freestyle Parks" chain, but I highly doubt this place will survive long enough for them to do it. Like ginzo said, it seems like a cheap Cedar Fair-style attempt to redress an already-failed park.

At least the name "Water World" has kind of a relevant adventure sound to it...When I heard the name "Freestyle Music Park" and saw the logo I instantly thought "Laser Quest-style flourescent rehab with guitar props and Baiyon's "Mixed Waste 4.2" playing over the speakers."

It seems like Flight Deck, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Freestyle Music Park are all in a fierce fight over who gets to have the worst and dumbest new name for an existing ride/park. Just watch...when Texas Giant comes out of its 2010 rehab it'll be renamed to "Time Travel Kaboom" to signify that its like going back to when it was still a good ride, or something...

Just watch...when Texas Giant comes out of its 2010 rehab it'll be renamed to "Time Travel Kaboom" to signify that its like going back to when it was still a good ride, or something...

I think "Time Travel Kaboom" would be an awesome name for just about anything, personally.

But shouldn't it be "Texas Time Travel Kaboom"?

Did anyone read the article posted a few pages back? The Freestyle name comes from the Russian partners who are developing a park in Russia under that banner.

So as someone (packfanlv or Robb) pointed to a couple of pages back with Chinese naming conventions, "lost in translation" also plays a part in this name.

theme including...Christian Rock?!

That almost seems to beg for a photo shop contest. How would you theme a ride to Christian Rock? I mean Christian Bale I can see that, but Christian Rock?!

Obviously, you've never ridden . . .

eXodus.jpg.aa95dd9dcf634b35c010ffe547603092.jpg

. . . eXodus! (OK, it is a pretty lame, pseudo-Photoshop job.)