TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

Why can't they build a park half the size of Hard Rock Park and theme it very well, maybe build a very good wooden coaster, put it in a part of the country that doesn't have theme parks in all directions . . . HRP's and WWW's closings will reinforce what not to do when starting a new park, though.

It's not the damn economy. It all has to do with "image" These people thought that if they made a theme park, threw the Hard Rock name on it, that people would just come in droves based on image and name recognition. They figured they didn't have to advertise much because the "Hard Rock" name alone would bring in people. It's a really crappy situation. That and overpriced tickets for a park where only half the attractions weren't working didn't help. Look at our world nowadays, companies rely so much on name recognition that they think they can make a crappy product, throw a good name on it and it will sell just because of the name. That's the sad state of the country we live in. I completely blame management for the utter and epic failure that was HRP. They were just horrible and completely relying on the name, why else would that have bought the rights for the name if they didn't think it, in itself, would bring people in.

Led Zepplin - to a much smaller park than we would've guessed

Slippery when wet - scrap

Eagles - scrap

Shake Rattle Roll - over seas

Max RPM - over seas

Sorry but I don't see any major park chains picking the rides up when they could've gotten the whole park and didn't

Eagles - scrap

Max RPM - over seas

Sorry but I don't see any major park chains picking the rides up when they could've gotten the whole park and didn't

Why would they scrap almost brand new rides?

-Tatum

The whole park would have been a huge investment that the current companies probably wouldn't be able to afford.

But a park could get a decent semi-new ride for a decent price through the liquidation.

Another victim of the economy.

I'm just not buying this 'terrible state of economy affecting tourism' crap. The entire year of 2008 all we heard about was the terrible state of economy, and how it just keeps getting worse...

Well, in late May of last year, we called to make reservations at any Hershey Resort for a date in July. There were TWO rooms open for the entire month, which were in the Hershey Lodge. When we got to there in early July, the lodge was packed. We took a shuttle to the park (after waiting in an hour line to get on), and the park was FILLED with people.

In December my family took a trip down to Nashville to stay at the Opryland Hotel and see the Rockettes' show (luckily, we had made reservations/gotten tickets far in advance). Both the Hotel and the Grand Ole Opry were full. Not one seat open for the show, and not one room open in the Hotel. If you've been to either of these places, you can back me up in saying that this situation was UNREAL!

I've heard that the 'current economic circumstance' is helping out local parks and businesses, but both of these locations are destinations. People were spending lots of money going to these places, yet the press makes it seem as that type of spending is unpractical right now.

I just don't get it.

And I kick myself for not going to HRP for the 'sneak preview' (the park had a week until Grand Opening when I was in Myrtle Beach...) to buy some of the park's merchandise. No doubt it will be worth something some day...

I don't think the Mine Train will be scrapped. It's a nice little ride that some forlorn park no one ever talks about would surely want.

So how long til people start telling stories of how amazing HRP was and how it was the best park ever?

Well of course HRP Blog has already gone into overtime.

Another victim of the economy.

As much as some people may want to blame the economy, I do not feel that is what killed Hard Rock Park. If you end up making some very poor business decisions which costs you and others hundreds of millions, now is a good time to do it! You've got a great excuse that everyone seems to be buying into.

--Robb

I guess I'm wrong. I mean, If a park gets a B&M, a Vekoma, and a unique coaster in Maximum RPM, the tab should grow and grow until it was too big to handle. Again, it's sad to see it grow. I apologize for any misdirection on my original comment.

It's failure was a combination of all of the above,nobody can tell me the economy didn't play a big part,I can tell you I planned to go to this park this year and things like $4 a gallon gas kept me home.The location of the park was highly questionable,how did they expect to have year round operation in South Carolina?Everything about the management is true,but what I find to be another big point of it's failure is that after seeing a few photo trip reports of the park it looked like it had good potential but I wasn't overly impressed with what the park had to offer right now,especially charging Florida theme park prices,there seemed to be a lot of open space with no trees or shade,a lack of rides,a few small themed carnie rides with a true world class coaster thrown in.I think even if you stuck this park somewhere off International Drive in Orlando,it would probably struggle for a couple of years and maybe in 4-5 years with the right management and some additions the park would flourish,but in my opinion it had no chance,too many things not working in its favor!!

Eagles - scrap

Max RPM - over seas

Max RPM could fit in Hershey.

This is my line of thinking for the HRP coasters

-I think Led Zeppelin would be perfect for a mid-sized park, such as Michigan's Adventure, or Frontier City in OKC, places like that. Given the possible low cost for a decent major coaster, it could easily become a headliner. More so than it would add to a park like SFMM or KI.

-The smaller coasters like the Eagles or Shake Rattle and Rollercoaster would be well suited for any park looking to add a family sized coaster. Eagles could serve a major theme park well with good scenery as was mentioned before.

-Maximum RPM (if not modified) would need to go to a park where there is a decent maintenance budget, most likely a major park.

-Slippery When Wet is a toss up since these type of water based roller coasters seem to have limited success. I would have a hard time seeing Cedar Fair buying it since they just took the Super Saturator out of Carowinds. I would be more inclined to believe that they would relocate the Saturator before buying Slippery When Wet.

And on a personal note, while I do admit that I am a little bummed the place is closing, I think it has more to do with never being able to ride Nights in White Satin again than anything else having to do with the park.

I hope Led Zeppelin and Max RPM will go to sfmm and the other coasters to sfga

that will make sfmm even better

OH TOTALLY DUDE, just what Magic Mountain needs: A rattly B&M sitdown looper and a low capacity maintenance nightmare.