TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

They have no choice but to due to the bankruptcy. The minimum price is less than 1/10th what the park originally cost. At that price, they could be doing yearly attendance of 400,000 or so (which is a pretty lousy number) and probably break even.

Since re-opening would probably also necessitate a price drop (let's say $30). Attendance would probably need to be up in the neighborhood of 700,000 in order to get finances under control.

That's if HRP's original numbers even had any validity.

But now we are just playing with numbers without the required background info. Of course not every entrant is going to pay full price.

HRP projection of 4,000,000 at $50 per ticket = $200,000,000

700,000 at $30 per ticket = $21,000,000

But at least this illustration shows the park taking in 10% of their original gate projection

I hope that someone comes through and buys the whole park. But it will probably have to be a chain. They would have the capability to operate the park at little or no profit for a year or two until it gets established.

I am sad to see this happen to any park! I hope they can get things together. With the current economy I would worry about a lot of parks. With money tight and lots of workings getting pink slips. We are entering tough times. Do all you can to support your parks.

For the record I liked the ideas that Hard Rock Park had on the table. I think if they could have had a smaller start and better marketing they may still be with us. Tourism as a whole is what killed them. Myrtle beach as a whole had less visitors. I hope they can get somthing together to save this park!!!

I am sad to see this happen to any park! I hope they can get things together. With the current economy I would worry about a lot of parks. With money tight and lots of workings getting pink slips. We are entering tough times. Do all you can to support your parks.

I really wouldn't worry too much about that. if a park in mananged well and run well..chances are it will survive. Look at Kennywood..when Pittsbugh lost most of their steel mills..they survived. Back in the 1980's while the east and west coasts were doing quite well, some cities like Dallas, Denver, Houston, and Oklahoma City were going through a depression known as "the oil bust". Yet despite the high unemployment in those cities at the time, their parks survived though it the case of Elitch Gardens they did move to spur business in downtown Denver after that city lost many downtown stores.

Nah, even if the economy was doing well, I still believe HRP would be in trouble. Bad managment can do that. While the "rock" attractions seemed cool, how could they expect churches and groups like "Coasters for Jesus" to go there with a rock & roll theme? Chances are it would be a park people whose faith is against rock and country music. would avoid

It would be the same with Opryland as well if they stayed "pur country" but at least that park tried to cater to all since I believe Opryland offered Christian concerts on occasion and there have been a few times a few rock acts actually played the Grand Ole Opry in the past ( I blieve Cher did the Opry once ). And WSM? That well known country radio station whose parent company owned Opryland..well in the 70's WSM played DISCO music during the day and left country music at night.

You have to cater to as many as you can to be successful...not just a few.

First off, I said "love". How many people do you know over the age of 14 who go to Magic Mountain and state that Gold Rusher is the best ride there, and the best ride ever. And Gold Rusher arguably has more of a 'theme' than LITFL did, as it actually has stuff to go through. And I will admit, you're right. It isn't "no one." I'm sure that someone likes it the most. But it isn't the majority of people who will name X2 or Goliath or Tatsu.

LITFL actually had some interesting theme elements, the shadow in the tunnel, the fire shooting statue at the end... Assuming the park and ride remain in the same place if you give it a couple/few years for the trees and plants to grow in it will look fine.

I do grant that LITFL has some "interesting theme elements"--they're just for the wrong theme. Originally, this ride was to be "Midnight Rider," so its placement in the Cool Country section landscaping would've made more sense. It did amuse me that even though the Eagles are a country-music-influenced rock band, the park used one of their least "countryish" songs.

I can recall on my first ride saying "what on earth is with that statue?" But by the end of 4th straight ride without getting out of the front seat saying "eh, its pretty cool I guess"

^Hey, fire makes anything good. I guess it could represent the "call the doctor, I think I'm gonna crash" line from the song.

Still doesn't explain why tractors are parked near the ride entrance, though.

This probably means nothing but....

Looking at my site's Google Analytics, I found that someone with Hard Rock Park's network location name searched for 'cedar fair buys hard rock park' to get to my blog last week. They were probably just seeing what the buzz on the 'Net was like. But is there any chance that could add to the validity of the cedar fair rumors?

With Six Flags in the financial situation they are in, I would be utterly shocked if they even allowed the thought of buying HRP run through their minds. I could see it being a little more likely that Cedar Fair would buy the park, move all the rides to different parks and then sell the land.

No matter how I run this situation through my head, HRP has operated for the final time.

I'm sure all the park chains have taken a look at HRP. It seems to me that a CF or a SF might buy it just for the rides if it is cheap enough.

Bingo! Cedar Fair is only interested in the B&M coaster and several of the flats, not the park as a whole. I heard their LZ bid was downright insulting!

So...Here's a question for y'all...

If a group were to come in with the proposed $35 million for the auction and a team that was VERY experienced in the theme park industry, would you all be willing to give the park a 2nd chance?

I only ask because I know of a company that is interested in purchasing the park and re-opening it.

The guys that run it are all from other theme parks (and were responsible for making said parks what they are today) and also have a positive, established relationship with both the owners of the Hard Rock brand and the government of SC (from previous projects).

Just curious...

Also, on a side note...It turns out that the President and COO of the park is an old family friend. He used to work with my Dad at Universal, and actually replaced him when he left back in 1994.

I would give it a chance. I actually am a Hard Rock Cafe fan and pin collector and hope to cross that up with my rollercoaster enthusiast hobby. I wanted to get to this park. I just didn't myself getting there in its first year.

Otherwise I hope SF would take one serious shot at LZ. Could it be a good fit for SFStL?

I would give anyone a chance as long as they:

1.) Lowered the admission cost to at least $35.

2.) Added water and rides my 15 month old could enjoy

3.) Dont post operating hours one day and change them the next.

Also, I think the park will go for more than the $35 million minimum. They park has a world class look to it and it has a great beginning so I can see it going for at least $50-$75 million maybe more.