TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

I don't understand that as "coaster and park enthusiasts" you revile in the failure of a park?

I am extremely upset that this park did not succeed and I don't don't understand those of you that express enjoyment at a new park closing.

Sure it may not have been perfect at it's opening but neither was Magic Mountain when it first opened. If it had closed, looked what we would have missed out on.

These parks need time to find their niche, so those of you that "have all the answers" and "knew that this park was doomed from the beginning"... why are you not working in this industry as consultants or experts??? Since you have all the answers, seems like you would make a fortune as operators.

^ Really? TPR has been making fun of rides (The Dark Knight coaster, "not-so-good ToT", etc.) and parks (small castle at Disneyland) for years!

And...

...actually I better stop here before I start a flame war.

----space "made fun of my bad posting habits" mtfan

^^ Shane, I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I'm laughing more at the fact that they were bold enough to expect 2 million visitors a year from the start. It's really not so much that I'm pleased to see a park fail. Heck, I was stoked about it originally, and I very much hoped it would eventually mature into something worth visiting for $50.

However, in the end, I find much more pleasure in laughing at executives who failed epically, and then asked for huge severance pay. The more and more I think about it, the more and more it seems like just a rogue project that wasn't correctly researched, and therefore suffered an inevitable fate.

I'm still not shedding any tears over this one. I'm sure I'll eventually get to ride Zep somewhere else. As for the dark ride, I bet I could simulate it doing something like what Eric did with his Toy Story Mania simulation. I'm picturing it like this: A) Put up a bunch of blacklights in your house. B) Hang some trippy velvet posters. C) Throw on the Moody Blues. D) Take a hit of acid. E) Get pushed around on a rolling office chair. Lather, rinse, repeat. Am I close?

^^ I don't understand that as "coaster and park enthusiasts" you revile in the failure of a park?

I am extremely upset that this park did not succeed and I don't don't understand those of you that express enjoyment at a new park closing.

I'm a movie enthusiast too and I'll revile in a movie flop that deserves it.

Personally, I think a lot of my "told you so..." attitude comes from my experiences with the management there. Had they been a little less cocky and so sure of themselves or perhaps did a bit more research and not made obvious mistakes or promises to investors that were impossible to meet, maybe I'd cut them and the park a bit of slack.

But I've been in the entertainment biz for the past 20 years and I don't need people talking down to me when I'm there to give them free publicity.

Like I said, I don't think the park was terrible, but it was built in a very bad location (IMO) and the people who ran it seemed to think they crapped awesomeness. I didn't buy into it, sorry, and my gut feeling for HRP said "failure" just like my gut feeling for Waterworld said "flop." Seriously, how many parks do you go to where you lean over and whisper to the person your with "buy some stuff...this place won't be around long..." It was SOOOOO obvious to us the park was a huge mistake. Why wasn't it obvious to the people who spent hundreds of millions of dollars to build it? A simple phone call to us could have saved them so much money!

Seriously, though, yes I'm an enthusiast about parks and coasters, sure, but does that mean I'm supposed to be enthusiastic about ALL of them? Can I be allowed to think some of them suck or are bad ideas or at least very poor execution of a good idea?

Hope that makes sense.

--Robb "Shane, don't forget that 94% of TPR is sarcasm!" Alvey

^You make nothing but sense and I agree. Most of us (me especially) may not be executives or consultants in the amusement industry, but follow it well enough to know what works, and what doesn't work. I'm going to school for business administration, and I know what you can do set yourself up for failure. The execs at HRP did just that, and we all saw it coming. Where's the wrong in that?

I understand all of the negative feelings towards the managers of the parks wanting money for driving a failing project. And they deserve all the flames they get on here.

And I can see your point about movies that you know are going to suck and are glad when they do. But new major theme parks are so rare in the states these days, I just thinks it sucks that when one does come along, it doesn't make it.

I am not really bummed I missed Led Zep, I mean those B&M's are a dime a dozen, and as for KIWS, I pretty much already rode that ride during my college years. But I am sorry I didn't get to experience the park, I like the Rock & Roll theme and really wish I would have gone. If it does open next year, you can bet I will be there within the first week.

Well as far as the management goes. Feel free to rip away, but I am just saying I am not pleased to see a new major park fail

But I've been in the entertainment biz for the past 20 years and I don't need people talking down to me when I'm there to give them free publicity.

Robb - We experienced some of the same reaction with the setup of a "Sound Check - Hard Rock Park" episode for the Season Pass. We we're working with Marketing; in the process of dedicating a date for the meet then everything stopped COLD! They broke communications with us and after several attempts of rescheduling we received nothing. Now this could be because of sudden financial issues or intense levels of business... but this was FREE media publicilty! The Podcast receives thousands of downloads, a guaranteed audience, but nothing.

Now Forutnately - nobody was cocky or arrogant, but communications were very weak. So, it sounds like this might have been a reoccuring situation

When the park was announced and in construction, I was really excited about visiting it. I thought it would be at an IOA theming level. Now when I look at photos of the park, I don't really regret missing it. I would have liked to have seen it in person, though.

When the park was announced and in construction, I was really excited about visiting it. I thought it would be at an IOA theming level. Now when I look at photos of the park, I don't really regret missing it. I would have liked to have seen it in person, though.

It's kinda sad really. I think "IOA theming level" was part of the goal.

Bad location, not enough rides, cost way too much to build, but we enjoyed our trip to the park. If it had opened in, say, 2002, it would've had a number of good years, and added a few more coasters in the interim.

While I can't debate the owner's misguided intentions, the *result* had potential. (Certainly more than, say, Wild West World.)

Who needs HRP when you can spend $200 in fireworks and blow stuff up on the beach at night?!?!

You know, you joke about it, but you bring up a VERY good point....

Here we are during our trip to Myrtle Beach and we didn't even stay near the beach, no...we stayed near HRP.

But what did we do that day? We left HRP early (we were SOOOOO done), went to the local fireworks store, spent TWICE as much a we did at HRP, then went to the beach for 15 minutes of "blowing stuff up."

And dammit....THAT was the highlight of our Myrtle Beach trip!!!

--Robb "What does that tell you?" Alvey

You do know that it is against the law to shoot off fireworks on the beach in Myrtle Beach. The only place in Horry county where you can shoot fireworks is Garden City Beach about 10 miles south of Myrtle's old airforce base. If you would have been caught you would have had to pay 200 dollar fine.

I understand all of the negative feelings towards the managers of the parks wanting money for driving a failing project. And they deserve all the flames they get on here.

And I can see your point about movies that you know are going to suck and are glad when they do. But new major theme parks are so rare in the states these days, I just thinks it sucks that when one does come along, it doesn't make it.

I am not really bummed I missed Led Zep, I mean those B&M's are a dime a dozen, and as for KIWS, I pretty much already rode that ride during my college years. But I am sorry I didn't get to experience the park, I like the Rock & Roll theme and really wish I would have gone. If it does open next year, you can bet I will be there within the first week.

Well as far as the management goes. Feel free to rip away, but I am just saying I am not pleased to see a new major park fail

Its Nights in White Satin not Knights. And here are all of my videos from hard rock park.

Wierd delay refletion mirror in the paradise grill bathrooms

Magic Mushroom Flat ride

Shake Rattle N Rollercoaster

Bohemian Rhapsody Fireworks

Moody Blues Nights In White Satin

Eagles Life In The Fast Lane- This is the only video on the internet that I can find with this audio track on the ride. This track only played for the firat two weeks of sound check. I happened to record this and a week later the instrumental version came out because this version was busting speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyDK59Y0Dxs

Hard Rock Theme Park Backstage Tour

It's a real shame about this park. I really do hope someone buys it and turns it around. I like how different it is, regardless of it's short comings. Wish I would've gotten up there this summer.

Still got a crazy gut feeling it'll recover and add a rapids or water park. Dunno why. Just a feeling.

Who needs HRP when you can spend $200 in fireworks and blow stuff up on the beach at night?!?!

You know, you joke about it, but you bring up a VERY good point....

Here we are during our trip to Myrtle Beach and we didn't even stay near the beach, no...we stayed near HRP.

But what did we do that day? We left HRP early (we were SOOOOO done), went to the local fireworks store, spent TWICE as much a we did at HRP, then went to the beach for 15 minutes of "blowing stuff up."

And dammit....THAT was the highlight of our Myrtle Beach trip!!!

--Robb "What does that tell you?" Alvey

You do know that it is against the law to shoot off fireworks on the beach in Myrtle Beach. The only place in Horry county where you can shoot fireworks is Garden City Beach about 10 miles south of Myrtle's old airforce base. If you would have been caught you would have had to pay 200 dollar fine.

Thanks Mr. Internet Police Officer, but yes we know that, and we were actually at Garden City Beach.

Now why don't you go mind your own business instead of minding ours?

--Robb

I was just being nice and telling you so in the future you would know. Just in case you already didnt. Anyway cedar fair put a bid of 275 million for the park in.

Don't get your hopes up too much Barry! Remember they also put in a bid and bought Geauga Lake!!!!

Oh, and is there a link to a story or source for this?

Gah, if only the Herschends weren't so busy being frugal this might be a great buy for them. Just a couple of years ago they tried to buy the most of the SF parks that were up for sale, so this wouldn't be that large of a risk for them, relatively.

CF can fix the place just as easily, but I wish the Hard Rock concept had worked. If they'd only focused more on families...

Gah, if only the Herschends weren't so busy being frugal this might be a great buy for them.

You mean so they can buy yet another failed amusement park and have it too go out of business?

I'm guessing that after they bought Branson USA only to not have it work out as Celebration City their days of buying troubled amusement parks may be over...

--Robb "Remember, they have Wild Adventures to figure out now too!" Alvey

O.k. here I go. I spent a month in Garden City this summer. And probably about half if not more of those days at the park. The park was nice but the management was horrid. They were overstaffed constantly and did not have enough rides. Now had they opened the park in stages, say Rock and Roll Heaven and Cool country one year, British Invasion the next and in a third year open Lost in the 70's and born in the USA it might have worked out. Now I do hope that some one like Cedar Fair comes in but I also hope that they keep the Hard Rock Theme. I hope that I will still be able to go to the park again during my month in Garden City next year.

I was just being nice and telling you so in the future you would know. Just in case you already didnt. Anyway cedar fair put a bid of 275 million for the park in.

Don't get your hopes up too much Barry! Remember they also put in a bid and bought Geauga Lake!!!!

This information comes from a source who works in office and was one of the ones let go last week. He was high up but to give you a hint he now works for Universal Studios. He went down and helped with HHN like a lot of other people who worked at hard rock and when they told him they were selling he got a job there. I wont give his name but he has been right about everything else in the past including the rides and the closing dates.

Rodney

This information comes from a source who works in office and was one of the ones let go last week. He was high up but to give you a hint he now works for Universal Studios. He went down and helped with HHN like a lot of other people who worked at hard rock and when they told him they were selling he got a job there. I wont give his name but he has been right about everything else in the past including the rides and the closing dates.

Rodney

It maybe just me but I dont see how someone can work for hrp go to universal studios and just help with HHN. I mean by october everything for HHN is done so...i dunno. And if he was still working at HRP as of last week how can he be 2 places at once...

unless he has a clone.