TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

As so many people have already said, while I hate to see a park close, it's really hard not to have seen this coming. I do agree with the idea that this park should have been built in Vegas, I think it would have actually been popular there. My guess as to why it wasn't is likely that the land simply costs so much, that it would have been prohibitive to build a park there. To be fair when I first heard plans for this park many years ago I recall rumors placing this park as a 3rd gate for Universal Orlando.

As for if somebody else will by this park? I really don't think so, with the economy the way it is I doubt anybody is going want to touch this place. My guess is that over the next year or so we'll see the rides get sold off and moved around. I'm not sure the area the park is in or the demand for that land, but unless that land is in high demand, I can see the park sitting there for several years until the economy improves. Eventually I expect that this park will have a date with a bulldozer

Bets:

Canada Wonderland: Max RPM

Great America: Eagles Mine Train

Six Flags America: Led Zeppelin

Random Japanese Park: Slipperly When Wet.

Random American Park's Kiddy Area: Shake, Rattle & Rollercoaster

I think that it's unfortunate that it didn't work out for the park. Perhaps this a good chance for rides to be picked up for other parks?

Dude, if Dollywood could afford Led Zeppelin, I might need a tissue.

All Dollywood needs to go from AWESOME to FLAWLESS would be a nice B&M.

H

^ They're cooking something up. I know B&M hasn't been doing anything extraordinary, but I'm sure they have something cooked up.

I thought Led Zeppelin: The Ride was okay. It was cool that it had a sound system on it. Hopefully, future B&M coasters will have SOBATs on them.

Dude, if Dollywood could afford Led Zeppelin, I might need a tissue.

All Dollywood needs to go from AWESOME to FLAWLESS would be a nice B&M.

H

A good BM always makes you feel awesome.

But seriously, folks . . .

Led Zep is a nice ride, but, frankly, I think that Thunderhead, Mystery Mine, and Tennessee Tornado are better.

I guess HRP isn't going to be on the Deep South trip then?

I was thinking...what other parks are in South Carolina? I can only think of Carowinds and Family Kingdom.

Myrtle Beach was never part of the Deep South trip mainly because we did not expect HRP to survive. Secondly because it's quite a long round trip from Carowinds to Myrtle Beach and that trip woud add at LEAST two days onto the schedule.

Deep South was intended to be one of our "shorter, cheaper" trips this year and if we were to add Myrtle Beach it would have priced that trip out of that range.

--Robb

This was my home park and my official ride count of Led Zep was 258 times. I will miss it if it doesn't get bought or re-opened. I only hope someone buys Max Rpm and Slppery so I can ride them again. The NIWS ride was my fav dark ride I have ever been on but I haven't been on too many. Maybe Borroughs and Chapin would buy Slippery or Max bc of the size and put it over at Broadway because they are planning on adding a coaster there anyway.

Rodney Sad that HRP is gone Rogers

^ Theme it to The Dark Knight or The Joker and I *might* like it. Of course it would need a good preshow.

As long as the preshow has enough advertisements in it I'd approve...

I had a trip planned for late October and I'm pretty disappointed that I probably won't get to take a spin on the dark ride now.

Don't get too overhyped on the dark ride. Really, I think the only thing the dark ride had going for it was the theme...in the sense that "Um...I can't beleive they themed a dark ride to an acid trip..."

As for the ride itself, it really only had one or two gags that I thought were that great, and they really weren't THAT great.

Most of the stuff was older-school style black lit cutouts. I mean, this thing even had a Tron Super Speed tunnel it was THAT outdated! Honestly, the ride itself, meaning the sets and props were NOT that great, it was the theme of the ride that made people walk out with that WTF??? look on their faces. I think other than the theme, the next big thing is had going for it was a GREAT sound system.

If you skip to the end of our HRP video you can see the ride in almost it's entirety. It's "interesting" yes, "amazing"? No...and it's actually pretty short!

[tprtv]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=hardrock_tpr_1[/tprtv]

A little side question here, but based on this mess, any predictions on the success of Decades (if it ends up launching on schedule or delayed?) I have no idea if Arizona will be that much better for a park as it just seems like the wrong location given who typically vacations there and when.

Based on people’s reviews on HRP and the proposed Decades park, it seems that what people ‘thought’ HRP was supposed to be and seemed to be severely lacking is similar in concept to the proposed Decades park.

I think they have approval to receive taxpayer funded bonds for the project but I think we can all assume that it’ll be delayed and that they’re reviewing their assumptions and management choices.

Do you think they have a chance at success if 1) They have a management team that knows what they’re doing and 2) They’re correct about any positive assumptions toward the location’s potential for success? Maybe HRP execs will jump on that ship for a do-over? lol

Don't get too overhyped on the dark ride. Really, I think the only thing the dark ride had going for it was the theme...in the sense that "Um...I can't beleive they themed a dark ride to an acid trip..."

I always think it's the "wtf?" rides that turn out to be fun for all of the wrong reasons. This past weekend I went to Universal where there are plenty of awesome rides that I've done a million times, but for some reason one of the highlights of the day was taking a spin on Jimmy Neutron, I mean how many rides simulate the funky chicken? I'm not sad that I didn't get to do the dark ride because it looked awesome, I'm sad that I didn't get to do the dark ride because it looked confusing and random.

Well at least you were able to capture most of the ride in your update, it's much appreciated as always.

I checked Google Earth and to be honest I didn't realize how close it was to the beach. From what I heard, I expected it to be 15-20 miles away from the shore but it's only about 5.

I still say somebody's gonna pick this place up and try to get it back on its feet. It's too good of a "package" to let go. New management will help alot, I think.

^In a beach town, that's still about five miles too far from the water. After a day at the beach, most folks tend to stay around the waterfront for amusements, dinner, etc. HRP, as a number of posters have pointed out, might have pulled more of those vacationers if they had offered some sort of nighttime discount.

Who needs HRP when you can spend $200 in fireworks and blow stuff up on the beach at night?!?!

You know, you joke about it, but you bring up a VERY good point....

Here we are during our trip to Myrtle Beach and we didn't even stay near the beach, no...we stayed near HRP.

But what did we do that day? We left HRP early (we were SOOOOO done), went to the local fireworks store, spent TWICE as much a we did at HRP, then went to the beach for 15 minutes of "blowing stuff up."

And dammit....THAT was the highlight of our Myrtle Beach trip!!!

--Robb "What does that tell you?" Alvey