TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

I have to agree that the location was a pretty poor choice, but their expectations were pretty high too. This park would probably do better if it were built in Orlando Tampa, or Las Vegas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing Myrtle Beach has going for it is spring break right? With the exception of that, it seems like an even more run down Wisconsin Dells.

This park had a lot of potential when announced, but the loctaion was pretty poor, the whole park seemed to have been built fairly quickly, and there is no standout ride. If the park was built on a larger site with a water park and/or a coaster like a rocket coaster or a euro-fighter, then it might pull in more crowds.

Edited by Airtime&Gravity

I haven't seen any advertising at any of the Hard Rock Cafe's either...

I can beat that! When I was in Cleveland I ate at Hard Rock Cafe and noticed that they had a "Hard Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Package" with Cedar Point. I couldn't belive that they were promoting Cedar Point other than Hard Rock Park. I know that Cleveland is a long way away from Myrtle Beach, but still...

First off, the assumption that no one's visiting because the park stinks because is stupid. How many great bands and amazing movies are there out there that not everyone knows about. Second, HRP like many parks, isn't built for coaster enthusiasts. So if you're dissapointed at the coaster lineup it doesn't really matter, b/c you're not going to make or break the park.

I love all of the people that know more about Myrtle Beach's tourism than the creators, investors, etc. I'm sure they didn't do any research, just assumed everyone would come to the park wherever they put it up. According to a quick Google search, about 14 million people visit MB every summer. Wouldn't you think you could support a park with that kind of potential customer base?

Like other have said I think the low attendance is a result of ineffective marketing and I'd partially agree with the economy/$50 ticket price. Fewer people vacationing and those who are vacationing are doing it for a shorter length of time. I think the park can catch on, it just may take some time. Just because its not an overnight success and its not packed with top-knotch coasters doesn't mean it won't make it.

They need to make sure everyone anywhere near SC knows about it and absolutely everyone who visits MB knows about it.

I know the park is for families, but there still doesn't seem to be much for the $50 ticket. Sure the park looks fun, but in a time when water parks are pretty much necessary for a major park, this park doesn't have one. I'd rather see a water play area like The Boardwalk instead of having Led Zeppelin. Plus, from what I know, I don't think the park has any water rides, and the rides that they do have aren't anything special. Sure they are fun, but they are just your standard flat rides, with nothing to set them apart from similar rides.

Correct, I haven't actually been to the park, but just seeing the pics from Robb's PTR showed me plenty. I mean, look at the America area. It looked like a carnival (and not even a good one). You do have 4 fairly good sized coasters, one of which is the only one of its kind. But yeah, advertising. It almost seems like they were going with a SFMM feeling with the advertising. "We're a park for rockers and be ready for an extreme time" is what it seemed they were marketing. But hye, SFMM has turned around, maybe the Hard Rock people will get a clue and get their act together.

Plus, I'm curious how the employee's appearance affects the GP. Reading an article about it, one a employee stated how he loved that he could show of his tattoos and wild hair. I know teens would find it awesome to see a guy like that running Led, but a family (who could ride the ride) might find that a bit... unsettling.

If they are going to succeed then what they need is a resort!

EXACTLY! THAT'S MY THOUGHT FROM DAY ONE! There's no BETTER theme to build a resort around then the famous Hard Rock Name! A Hard Rock Hotel and a lower name hotel, PLUS a CityWalk area with Clubs, A Hard Rock Cafe and all kinds of performing acts plus other famous restaraunts such as a good steak house like Ruth's Chris or something along those lines. They need to make SURE that they make every demographic have the possibility of bringing their little hinies to that area. It's no longer the time to dwell on that shitty are they found the park to be put it. It's time to think about this park's future, and knocking down that stupid tourist attraction/show in front of the park, and trying to get those 2 churches to alter their locations. And finally, for season 2, add new rides! A Drop Tower and a new roller coaster, ALSO GET A BETTER MARKETING SCHEME. "Must've been to Hard Rock Park!" SUCKS! GET A NEW ONE! This park needs a resort, and a new world class coaster PLUS a flat AND a water park in the next 2 years or it will not survive. I know that's crazy, actually, flat out insane! But it must be done immediately. Sad as it is, these investors that own the park need to put out every penny they have or they'll lose it all very soon!

I know the park is for families, but there still doesn't seem to be much for the $50 ticket. Sure the park looks fun, but in a time when water parks are pretty much necessary for a major park, this park doesn't have one. I'd rather see a water play area like The Boardwalk instead of having Led Zeppelin. Plus, from what I know, I don't think the park has any water rides, and the rides that they do have aren't anything special. Sure they are fun, but they are just your standard flat rides, with nothing to set them apart from similar rides.

I've been there and I think if a family went to the 3 shows, rode the coasters, rides, dark ride, saw a concert or even just a live band perform, they'd get their money's worth. Really it's the theme and little discoveries that make the park unique. Many things just have to be experienced and once you do the case is made for the $50. Which again, I agree, could be a little steep.

Unforunately, the overall theme and 'rock atmosphere' isn't something that's easy to market. I mentioned this to Steve Goodwin and his answer was that they would rely on word of mouth to help get the word out. But HRP is more than just a fledgling Six Flags with some cool intellectual properties. Theming/neat idea wise its much better. Just a step below Universal.

The water park point is a good one. There's no real water park, but there's a good sized water play area near Led Zeppelin. It's called Reggae River Falls or something like that. There's also water play-ish area around the Slippery When Wet coaster.

I would like to check the park myself, but there is no way I will pay 45 bucks! I think the free admission and a wristband would be the best option for them at this time. If they can get as many people in as possible... then more money will be spent on food and merchandise. Then the word will spread and more visitors would be coming ready to have an affordable good time.

For those that mentioned the resort, there are plans to build such a thing in front of the park, it is going to be called Paradise City and from reading about the plans it sounds like it could be a City Walk type of place.

Not sure why everyone thinks that Myrtle Beach was a bad choice, I think it was a great choice, and for the amount of people that visit the area I think it was one of the few tourist areas without a theme park.

First off, the assumption that no one's visiting because the park stinks because is stupid. How many great bands and amazing movies are there out there that not everyone knows about. Second, HRP like many parks, isn't built for coaster enthusiasts. So if you're dissapointed at the coaster lineup it doesn't really matter, b/c you're not going to make or break the park.

Thats the reason I have seen alot of people say they arent going. While they arent saying it in those exact words thats the just of it. No park is built for coaster junkies but I find it hillarious that you say by people who are looking for coasters not going to the park isnt gonna make or break them. It looks like its breaking them from my seat...

I love all of the people that know more about Myrtle Beach's tourism than the creators, investors, etc. I'm sure they didn't do any research, just assumed everyone would come to the park wherever they put it up. According to a quick Google search, about 14 million people visit MB every summer. Wouldn't you think you could support a park with that kind of potential customer base?

Im trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here but its hard to do that. I would think the established business in the area WOULD know more about the tourism than anyone coming in from no where and thinking they can "figure" it out. Just because 14mil come to vacation doesnt mean they will automatically run to the park. Thats like saying just because walmart sees 14mil a week means i'm def gonna get a profit off my onion scented bunyon remover...

Like other have said I think the low attendance is a result of ineffective marketing and I'd partially agree with the economy/$50 ticket price. Fewer people vacationing and those who are vacationing are doing it for a shorter length of time. I think the park can catch on, it just may take some time. Just because its not an overnight success and its not packed with top-knotch coasters doesn't mean it won't make it.

it doesnt matter how much the market the park at this point there is simply not enough show, rides, concerts to keep someone in the park. In in todays society people can turn on a channel and see the shows and concerts so why travel all the way to HRP to see a show when you can do that in your home town. I travel to SFOG because I simply cannot find a goliath in my neighborhood. I travel to Dollywood because the thunderhead just hasn't found its way i my city. I travel to IOA because spiderman beats any playground around my neck of the woods. No matter what you wanna believe people travel for the rides. How many people have taken trips to theme parks and come back and rave about the shows? HRP is generic to me. Nothing unique to make it any different from any park, carnival, fair so when it comes to having a family vacation would a family choose to go listen to live music, drinking beer on a lake or standard shows or a unique experience they could have at any busch gardens park or a seaworld.

They need to make sure everyone anywhere near SC knows about it and absolutely everyone who visits MB knows about it.

Knowing is half the battle...I know about the local go-kart track in my area but does that mean I wanna go? Nope not at all. I knew about wild west world but did that make me wanna book my flight? Absolutely not. I know about ripleys haunted adventure at the beach but it doesnt seem that interesting.

Im not trying to be a jack but your "logic" is what runs business in the hole. The people have said time and time again the rides are the backbone of every theme park. The shows and food follows. It would be different if the park had atleast 2-3 out of this world unique rides but to have a partially working "ferris wheel" lift coaster with a lackluster coaster section leaves alot to be desired.

The reality is that there is no such thing as a good development right now.

Obviously their original business plan didn't account for the current state of the economy when they were getting their funding before things got ugly, so I consider don't consider the park a failure...yet. Right now is a "transition" phase, as they are probably working hard behind the scenes to figure out what the heck they are going to do to survive.

I dont get the whole "economy" thing. I guess it doesnt really effect me because I havent noticed any bills going up except gas for the car. Mortage still the same as well as lights, water, and internet.

I know that alot of people visit Mrytle Beach, but they probably don't know that the park exists. How far exactly is Hard Rock Park from North Mrytle Beach? If its far from where all the action is then many people wouldnt even try to go there or wont find out about it.

^^You don't have to "get" it, but that doesn't mean it's not a huge problem.

The reality is the potential market for HRP shrank considerably when people started losing their disposable incomes to foreclosures, layoffs, gas prices, etc.

The Rides are mediocre for the price of the park. No one who does there homework is going to pay that much for that park as compared to others, and even less people are going to pay that much to return for a second visit. I think this really hurts the park the most. I've heard that people that live in South Carolina and wrote trip reports about HRP say it is not even close to worth returning.

And with the US Economy, it's a bad time to open up such a big park and have such high expectations or expect so much income in the first year. It's quite the investment that isn't going to see much money returned really quick like they apparently expected.

What would really help the park is if they booked bands to play there. I haven't heard that they do yet, but I'm sure tons of people would pay to check out the park if they could go and see a Aerosmith concert on site in a 2 for 1 ticket deal or something.

Look at Big Mike's TR of Hershey Park, and see how crowded the park that day with the Jonas Brothers concert next door. HRP could really advertise this throughout there restaurants and that would interest more people then other ways would. My friend works at Hershey Park and says any mid-week day can be as packed as a Saturday or Sunday if there's a concert next door that night.

"Come to Myrtle Beach and check out HRP"

or

"Plan a vacation to Myrtle Beach, and get a sweet combo ticket deal on HRP and seating to a Led Zep concert and have the time of you're life"

which sounds better to you? I'm just throwing ideas around

According to a quick Google search, about 14 million people visit MB every summer. Wouldn't you think you could support a park with that kind of potential customer base?

Plain and simple. No.

That amount of tourism "about 14 million people" COULD NOT and DID NOT support Myrtle Beach Pavilion. MBP was a much smaller park, (and nicer than HRP, IMO) with a smaller entry fee and IT WAS LOSING MONEY!!

That's why the owners, despite the pleas from the mayor and others, sold the land to the developers. A smart business decision on the owners part. No amount of tourism could have kept them open. They knew that. They knew it was a failing economy for the amusement park in 2005! That's why they closed up in 2006. They got out while they could, and turned a profit by selling the land.

It's only a matter of time before Family Kingdom meets the same fate. But with deeper roots, and not as large of a financial hole as HRP is in, it may outlast HRP.

JJ

I personally would hate to see any park close. Although enthusiasts weren't impressed I would have to say that with the right promotion that this park could take off. I really don't see it taking a big crap like Wild West World in Kansas did. They put together a pretty good offering of hardware although there is nothing record breaking but it is cutting edge for the area (this includes Carowinds and Family Kingdom). If the company that built the park puts it up for sale I really think that it could be picked up by another company.

Talking of ownership, wasn't this park built foreign investors using the Hard Rock franchise? If this is the case this may be the reason why big named music groups haven't been booked to perform.

Anyway this is just a thought.

people go to the beach to enjoy the beach, and not to go to theme parks. I can't believe i didn't really think of this.

The GP - I can go to (insert familys local park) any day, but I cant go to the beach every day. And it would be a lot of money to have a hotel or resort, take a family to HRP, pay for parking and admission. Why waste the money when we can sit on the beach and walk the boardwalk.

The Florida parks are still doing well with the way that visitors are coming from other countries,if you go frequently you'll see Europeans,Japanese,Latin American and especially British everywhere.They're coming here in droves with the weak dollar giving them a great vacation on a budget.If it wasn't for these visitors from other countries the Orlando parks would probably also be having some attendance issues.So in my opinion the problem with this park is LOCATION,when I first heard of this park and it appeared to be a park with a high ticket price and appearing to have the glitz of a major Florida park,I just kept thinking to myself,why is this being built in South Carolina,where even the population of the area isn't that great to support a park,add on high gas prices and voila,nobody shows.I think if gas prices come down in the coming years,and the park spends some money in advertising and offering discounts and promotions then people will show.But first they have to develop a base and get people a reason to come back.

I will admit that their is a ton of potential for this park, but that may require the management team to go back to the lab a few times. Upping the coaster count would help. Some may not think so, but look at it this way. Take Knott's Berry farm for example. Take out Ghostrider, Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, Pony Express, Sierra Sidewinder, Jaguar, Zoom,Supreme Scream, Perilous Plunge and the Log Ride. What are we left with? A County Fair at best. I'm not saying that HRP blows even more than a Fair by any means. I'm simply trying to establish that the reasons that ANYONE goes to amusement parks is because of rides. No one can deny that. However. not every park can afford to put it a record breaking coaster. But for a park to be in a location like Myrtle Beach, they're going to have to do something to turn heads.

I know some of you are saying that the park isn't worth visiting but I completely dissagree, I would LOVE to go there, I think it looks like an interesting park with a good theme and some interesting rides, I would definately like to go, but the difference between HRP and the parks in Orlando is that there isn't anything else to justify foreign tourism, and as someone pointed out - this is what keeps the Orlando Parks going.

You go to Orlando you have the entire Disney and Universal Resort complexes, you have I-Drive with lots of shops mini golf courses and other bizarre attractions, there's gatorland, you can book an excursion to Busch Gardens, there is plenty enough to keep you busy for 2weeks, but if you went to HRP there is pretty much just the park in that area to keep you busy, you'll spend about 2days there max and then what do you do for the rest of your holiday?!

As I said before, the key is in attracting foreign tourism with a resort and/or other attractions but if we give them a chance you never know, they might pull it off!

Matt