TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

Medieval Times probably only needs about 500 guests per show to make money. While HRP probably needed over 15,000 a day to break even.

Good point.

^^Maybe Medieval Times should buy the park and reopen it as Medieval Music Park. Eat ALL food in the park with only your hands. Be chased around the lagoon by knights with lances and experience Knights in Wooden Badgers: The Ride!

From what I have read, Hard Rock Park dropped the ball when it came to effective marketing and promotions. I'm not saying that their prices were wrong or that they needed to offer more discounts, but it seems like the efforts or budgeting restraints put onto their marketing department were to prohibitive in truly reaching out to enough people.

In my honest opinion, the Hard Rock theme from the beginning was a turnoff for many people. While many adults and some older generations would love this kind of music, I believe the mass appeal or at least a large enough appeal to break even was overestimated. "Hard Rock Park" is probably not the name or theme that sparks a family with children's attention who are typically the biggest driver of any park's revenue and attendance.

I enjoyed my visit to Hard Rock Park as it was very well done and had some spectacular employees, but looking back as I am older and more educated with marketing (a degree), it's now evident that their appeal simply didn't have a large enough audience to sustain a park that large.

• 1 month later...

^^They built a $400 million dollar park in a beach town away from the beach, charged $50 in a town populated with mini golf/family fun centers, AND then didn't do anything to get those tourists away from the beach. They actually marketed it well. I saw billboards everywhere. But they didn't do anything to get people from the beach to the park...they just assumed people would go.

-Joey

From what I have read, Hard Rock Park dropped the ball when it came to effective marketing and promotions. I'm not saying that their prices were wrong or that they needed to offer more discounts, but it seems like the efforts or budgeting restraints put onto their marketing department were to prohibitive in truly reaching out to enough people.

In my honest opinion, the Hard Rock theme from the beginning was a turnoff for many people. While many adults and some older generations would love this kind of music, I believe the mass appeal or at least a large enough appeal to break even was overestimated. "Hard Rock Park" is probably not the name or theme that sparks a family with children's attention who are typically the biggest driver of any park's revenue and attendance.

I enjoyed my visit to Hard Rock Park as it was very well done and had some spectacular employees, but looking back as I am older and more educated with marketing (a degree), it's now evident that their appeal simply didn't have a large enough audience to sustain a park that large.

I could not agree more here. I thought the idea and concept was great. However, it just did not appeal to families. Most of the music represented in the park is not popular among younger generations these days. Which in a ways sucks because most things that teeny boppers like is so fluid it comes and goes. So a ride or attraction named/themeed after Justin Bieber or One Direction would be great for a few years but after that the appeal would be gone.

A parks location like this should have been thought out more. In my opinion this should have been near a large city or in a location that already gets lots of guest traveling for amusements of this sort. When I think of a beach town I do not think world class coasters. I think fun centers, mini golf, swimming in the ocean and MAYBE something like Family Kingdom or Trimpers from Ocean City, MD. Fun but nothing spectacular.

I never got to visit but from pictures it seemed like a beautiful well manicured park.

Edited by alilstronger

^^They built a $400 million dollar park in a beach town away from the beach, charged $50 in a town populated with mini golf/family fun centers, AND then didn't do anything to get those tourists away from the beach. They actually marketed it well. I saw billboards everywhere. But they didn't do anything to get people from the beach to the park...they just assumed people would go.

-Joey

So true! Marketing is more than just advertising. So says the former advertising guy.

-Joey

Billboards everywhere =/= marketing it well. A good marketing plan would have meant better pricing, promotions, etc. What you described is spot on as to why the park failed...but that still all has to do with its marketing--it wasnt marketed well at all.

I think the real problem was the branding. While in theory it may have seemed like a good idea to use the Hard Rock name, it isnt associated with the theme park industry well enough to automatically draw people in like the park presumed it would. I think the actual theme was actually quite good--everyone listens to music, its one of the few universally-recognized forms of media. Even if classic rock isnt the most widespread genre, not many people would skip a world-class theme park because they werent familiar with the *specific* thematic material. But using the name "Hard Rock" brought about images of loud restaurants open late in large metropolitan nightlife areas...a space that targets the 180-degree opposite of the main theme park target audience. I think had Universal or Disney, or anyone with a proven track record in the theme park business, had made a music-themed park, it wouldve been successful. But Hard Rock was too narrow and Freestyle is an unknown name. Therefore, RIP.

Tons of tweens know Led Zeppelin, and that number skyrockets as they enter high school.

A simple marketing plan using Zeppelin would have done wonders. Especially in today's market, a Zep coaster?? That would make it onto brainless websites like buzzfeed as a featured story often.

• 2 months later...

Park News - (6/25/14) A local area reader passed by the former site of Hard Rock Park / Freestyle Music Park and stumbled across something of major interest. A truck and trailer for the Mosley Erecting Company was on site.

Mosley is known for putting together some of the biggest rides at theme parks across the southern states. In the past few years they have worked on installing rides at Carowinds (Intimidator, Windseeker), Dollywood (Firechaser Express, Wild Eagle), Worlds of Fun (Steelhawk), Kings Dominion (Windseeker) and even set up big rides like Led Zeppelin: The Ride for Hard Rock Park itself.

According to our photographer, the Mosley truck along with other heavy lifting equipment are arriving along the side of the park where the Led Zeppelin coaster (B&M) sits. If a buyer for the coaster has been found at last, it looks like the former park’s skyline will soon be changed and the ride carefully taken down and transported to a new home somewhere. Local readers, please do keep your eyes open while we wait to see what is happening. We're could this coaster be leaving to ??? I say texas

Park News - (6/25/14) A local area reader passed by the former site of Hard Rock Park / Freestyle Music Park and stumbled across something of major interest. A truck and trailer for the Mosley Erecting Company was on site.

Mosley is known for putting together some of the biggest rides at theme parks across the southern states. In the past few years they have worked on installing rides at Carowinds (Intimidator, Windseeker), Dollywood (Firechaser Express, Wild Eagle), Worlds of Fun (Steelhawk), Kings Dominion (Windseeker) and even set up big rides like Led Zeppelin: The Ride for Hard Rock Park itself.

According to our photographer, the Mosley truck along with other heavy lifting equipment are arriving along the side of the park where the Led Zeppelin coaster (B&M) sits. If a buyer for the coaster has been found at last, it looks like the former park’s skyline will soon be changed and the ride carefully taken down and transported to a new home somewhere. Local readers, please do keep your eyes open while we wait to see what is happening. We're could this coaster be leaving to ??? I say texas

Maybe Darien Lake would get the former Led Zepplin coaster? (seriously, they need a new coaster!)

Maybe Darien Lake would get the former Led Zepplin coaster? (seriously, they need a new coaster!)

Interesting--is the source Screamscape?

Edited by cfc

Yes, the source was screamscape. Did Cedar Fair buy this? Looking at Screamscape's description, Cedar Fair has depended on this company a lot. Could it go to Michigan's Adventure?

If Cedar Fair did buy the "Led Zepplin" coaster, I'm guessing they'll send it to Valleyfair, Dorney Park, California's Great America, or Michigan's Adventure!

Yes, the source was screamscape. Did Cedar Fair buy this? Looking at Screamscape's description, Cedar Fair has depended on this company a lot. Could it go to Michigan's Adventure?

If Cedar Fair did buy the "Led Zepplin" coaster, I'm guessing they'll send it to Valleyfair, Dorney Park, California's Great America, or Michigan's Adventure!

I don't see either Valley fair or CGA. They said these two parks (and Carowinds) are their primary focus, which to me would mean capital investments. While this ride is a major ride, it is in fact relocated thus less money than a brand new ride.

Out of the two parks, I see Michigan's Adventure taking it. They DESPERATELY need a new major coaster. Dorney on the other hand, has solid major coasters, and recently got Stinger.

Watch it go to China instead. =P

I don't see either Valley fair or CGA. They said these two parks (and Carowinds) are their primary focus, which to me would mean capital investments. While this ride is a major ride, it is in fact relocated thus less money than a brand new ride.

Out of the two parks, I see Michigan's Adventure taking it. They DESPERATELY need a new major coaster. Dorney on the other hand, has solid major coasters, and recently got Stinger.

Watch it go to China instead. =P

Haha!! MIA needs a BIG steel coaster and this will help fill the void. They also need a B&M

I was being "dead" serious about Led Zepplin or any of the other Hard Rock/Freestyle coasters going to Darien Lake!

I was being "dead" serious about Led Zepplin or any of the other Hard Rock/Freestyle coasters going to Darien Lake!

Seriously, I doubt any of the freestyle rides are going to Darien Lake.

And for now, we honestly don't know know we're they're going. There's really no point in speculating for now.