TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

This is why we keep putting off the TPR Australia Trip...

SharkTums

^Well, thanks to Ben Franklin, America's national bird was almost the turkey, so needless to say there would've been a patriotic/ethical dilemma every Thanksgiving...

No, because you'd be eating bald eagles for thanksgiving. Not much of a drumstick, but the wings are huge.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Tell you the truth... you don't come across much. In the cities you only really see spiders and snakes... that's the worst of it. You have them everywhere. Either ones may seem scary, but you don't come across them too much.

We have big cities too... so it's not all country. Most of the population lives on the coast in the big cities. It's not scary at all.

That spider is probably one of the prettiest spiders I've ever seen, but seeing one would probably freak me out a little.

As for large spiders, here's a picture of a camel spider... They're not exactly spiders, but related to them. They have a leg-span of five-six inches and they generally eat smaller animals like lizards, birds, etc... Their bites are painful and can be infected, but not venomous. The picture has been circulating around the internet for a while now.

Picture...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

Snopes Article

http://www.camelspiders.net/

Camel Spider page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_spider

Wikipedia Article

• 2 weeks later...

Giant Spiders Invade Australian Outback Town!

I particularly like this quote "Audy Geiszler, who runs Amalgamated Pest Control in Bowen, said that the spider was a large male with powerful long fangs and was so big that when he placed it – dead – in the palm of his hand its legs hung over his fingers."

Article (and pictures) here...

Cameron.

First of all, that picture Elissa showed is again, a close up making it appear WAY bigger.

Yes, the spider is obnoxiously huge, but in this picture

its eating this

A A Chestnut Breasted Mannikin. A Finch. Which now it doesnt make the spider SO huge.

"Shakespeare, head spider keeper at the Australian Reptile Park, said the spider was a Golden Orb Weaver.

“Normally they prey on large insects… it’s unusual to see one eating a bird,” he told ninemsn.com.

Mr Shakepeare said he had seen Golden Orb Weaver spiders as big as a human hand but the northern species in tropical areas were known to grow larger.

Queensland Museum identified the bird as a native finch called the Chestnut-breasted Mannikin."

So as already posted, its a Golden Orb Weaver. The one in the picture is probably about the size of the bird, a little smaller body to body. Then its legs obviously cast a larger radius.

Impressive animal!

I was reading an article about an invasion of bird eating spiders up north. Scary, they might come inside and climb up on your pillow while you are asleep, and mistake your face for a bird.

Oh and our bikie gangs are having a war at the moment in Sydney, they beat a man to death in front of everybody at Sydney airport inside the terminal.

There are two types of Banana Spiders....

The Golden Orb Weaver is the non-venomous spider while the Brazillian Wandering Spider is regarded as the world's most poisonous spider.

The Golden Orb Weaver lives in North America, while the Wandering Spider lives in the tropics.

Picture...

I have to chime in on this one, because I think it is a little fun

First of all, here in southern CA, we have these spiders. They are thought to have come from Edwards AFB, located out of Rosamond CA, when troops move back and forth to/from Iraq/Afghanistan.

Locals around here (I am very close to the base) call them "Vinegaroons" and have legends of them biting people and causing a vinegar taste in the mouth for weeks. That, is of course, silly. They are venomless.

However, the next bit of information is not going to make any of you any less squemish....

I am a biology major (yay me!) and I love everything animal-ey... I researched these things when I heard the term "vinegaroon" to dispell the myth. Apparently, they are voracious lovers too. Up to 35-40% of all matings fail. Why? The male is so voracious in his mating technique that he often rips the female apart!

Some food for thought

Spiders are wrong, but I would rather have 2 in my cabin than 10 flies, so in my cabin they remain

Chris.

Ditto. Generally I dont kill them in the house. I scoop them into something and put em outside so they can feast on all the insect by my porch, keeping my porch clearer of flying annoyances.

I'm generally not afraid of spiders or any bug, but holy crap.

Wonder if they have a big net to keep Spiders AND Sharks away from you.

I also feel pretty sorry for anybody who comes into this thread with a fear of spiders. They will be hit with no warning.

So lets say you get one of those giant spiders in your house...How do you get it out? I wouldn't think of smashing something that big..You'd have to get a net or something. Of course, it would also take someone who isn't afraid of giant spiders...

That spider is probably one of the prettiest spiders I've ever seen, but seeing one would probably freak me out a little.

As for large spiders, here's a picture of a camel spider... They're not exactly spiders, but related to them. They have a leg-span of five-six inches and they generally eat smaller animals like lizards, birds, etc... Their bites are painful and can be infected, but not venomous. The picture has been circulating around the internet for a while now.

Picture...

This thing has a pretty good resemblance to whats known down here as a Red Roman spider. And yes it's not a spider, hell only knows what can be that fugly.

Golden Orb spiders are AWESOME.

I saw tons of them while I was in Aus over Easter, mainly in Cairns. Oh and a few Huntsman spiders... And a redback which was in someones bed!!!

Took this photo... About a two feet away from it? Awesome things.

Here is a photo from my travels in Australia. It is amazing to me how many spiders we saw during our time there.

This photo was taken not in some out of the way place, but inside the Sydney Botanical Gardens in the middle of the Sydney Central Business District! In this area we saw hundreds of these spiders. They sure don't make them like that here in Vegas!

340002340_SydneyAround2008-01-21019.JPG.154f08af79157bc2e3b11dcd7e833338.JPG

Wow! This was not a good post to run into. I don't mind small bugs and spiders, but these cannot even be considered "bugs." They definitely fall under the animal/monster category. I'm definitely going to have to check my bed tonight.