TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

This is why we keep putting off the TPR Australia Trip...

SharkTums

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They feel like pubes when you touch them...sticky....

Laughing so hard....can barely type......oh jeez....

Even so, I'd still hold a Koala bear or Tarantula just because I never have. Hell, I'd let the spider crawl around on my shoulder (AFTER it was de-fanged and sans venom of course).

The wombat is a cute little guy. Reminds me of a pug in a way.

^Same.

I think I still have a scar on my chest from where the Koala decided to become one with me during our 1996 Xmas Card picture!!!

Those things have scary claws!!!

(Although I'd gladly take about 500 Koalas to one of those spiders!)

OMG. Seriously, i have lived here for what, 14 years? And i have never seen a spider of that size in my life. And yes, i have travelled around, even to Cairns were this photo was taken. And i don't think that that is the place you would be going anyway for a TPR trip. I'm assuming that it's a joke that you wouldn't go to Australia because of the wildlife, because that is a terrible reason.

BTW, the cutest Australian animal to hold/look at is by far the wombat. Nuts to those lazy Koalas.

No joke, when I was a kid, we used to have a Sausage Dog that we used to take for a walk in bushland up the road from my place. Well, it didn't get eaten by a Goldern Orb Spider, but it did once pick a fight with a Koala. Needless to say it was a mighty victory to the Koala. Our Dog was fine, so feel free to picture in your mind a Sausage Dog and a Koala at war

As for the old Golden Orb Spider: I went to school in the middle of a rainforest valley and they were all over the place. Completely harmless, and in fact you barely ever saw the buggers move, almost always just sitting in their webs, which had an ever so subtle golden tint to them. At our school though we often got Red Belly Black Snakes, and spiders that looked as though they couldn't hold their own weight anymore, so spiders that minded their own business in the webs didn't really worry us

On a related side note: Bird Eating Spider

And since this is a theme park site...

At the park I worked at, radio code for an animal in park was a 10-10, and radio code for a snake was a "10-10 without legs"

*edit* wow, first post. Didn't realise I'd been lurking all this time and hadn't posted yet...

Ditto on koalas, they are nastier than a rattle snake with hemmaroids, seriously cranky critters.

Kookaburra's are mostly OK but during mating season, along with magpies, they will do dive attacks and possibly take out an eye if you walk in their turf. To top it off they like to laugh loudly at 5.00 am.

Also we have jurassic park size crocodiles just waiting to devour tourists, aggressive monstrous lethally venomous snakes that can rear up and get you from 20 metres away.

To top it off we have the funnel web spider which has fangs as big as a snake and when it gets wet, like to go into houses, I have found them in clothes piles in the bathroom on occasion, they rear up and attack when cornered.

So come on down under, why so scared?

funnel.jpg.25d2ea9561daac3aa1467bd749cd0b56.jpg

The friendly funnel web spider, as lethal as it looks and twice as mean. Not popular as a pet.

Hey, I figured if those damned koalas (yes, I've had a few experiences of my own) got their own cut of the cute, let's have the other half of the "things the entire world thinks live in Australia" make an appearance.

Dan "If I ever have any real questions about Australia, I'd just ask Mr. Silver anyway!" Smith

Man, in that shot of the spider eating the bird, where does the spider stop and the bird begin?

This reminds me of a song...

People raise birds

Spiders eat birds

People eat spiders

It's the circle of life!

^Relax, the whole spider and creepy animal thing is just a bit of a misconception, somewhat perpetuated by Aussies who get a laugh out of scaring people. A lot of these creatures only live in wilderness and bushland areas, you and wont likely encounter them in towns and cities.

Haha, that Douglas Adams article was awesome, thanks for that!

Personally I hate spiders and it would be one of the only things putting me off visiting Oz (aswell as box jellyfish), although I'd love to visit someday. It's not so much the really big ones that would put me off, more the really poisonous ones like the funnel web.