TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review's 2009 Trips Announced!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to look what are the rules for people just meeting up with a TPR group. I now you can't join in the ERT, and the food times but what else is off limits to those who "tag along"

From my own experience, from both as an outsider to the group as an insiders I can tell you that you're going to hit a brick wall if you don't anybody personally who is already on the trip.

When you meetup with TPR everybody on the actual trip has gotten to know each-other and those little groups are not easily letting someone tag along.

Now I don't want to say to everyone not to visit the park when the trip is there, but don't expect that the members will welcome you with open arms into their groups.

What hyyyper says is very true. Not to sound like the group is closed minded to outsiders it's just that by even the end of day one, most people have made friends and are hanging out in their groups.

It's hard for people who haven't been privvy to the rest of the trip to break into that mold.

Now if it's a one-day event like Behemoth Bash for example, then there are a lot of people who are showing up for just the day, and they usually all gel together and that works.

But if you are coming on your own to meet up with us, and you can't do the ERTs or the meals, then it is kind of hard to join up with the group as we don't stay together as one large group throughout the day.

My advice to you would be to come to the park with a small group of friends, say 2 or 3 people, and "meet" some of the TPR trip members, but don't be too offended if they already have a small group they are hanging with and they are doing their own thing.

Does that help?

--Robb

Also, from my experience on the Behemoth trip, smaller trip groups are a lot closer, and I think even if you had a friend who you were meeting up with, it may be hard to actually "meet up" because they'll make close friends with people, kinda thing.

These trips are like summer camps for coaster geeks, and you bond with people so easily. I wouldn't really recommend planning on meeting up with people. Also, plans could change on a daily basis. If it happens, it happens, just think of it that way.

Guys,

What is the plausibility of this scenario (remembering my wife is a ride-hater and not interested in theme parks but she is missed when she's not with us overnight);

My daughter and I do the tours.

My wife tags along, not on the tour. i.e. she doesn't go to the theme parks, but does end up mostly in the same hotel beds as us. Obviously it'd be up to her to amuse, transport and feed herself.

What is the plausibility of this scenario (remembering my wife is a ride-hater and not interested in theme parks but she is missed when she's not with us overnight);

My daughter and I do the tours.

My wife tags along, not on the tour. i.e. she doesn't go to the theme parks, but does end up mostly in the same hotel beds as us. Obviously it'd be up to her to amuse, transport and feed herself.

If I hated rides, I'd just stay home while my husband and daughter went on the trip. Behind home alone would probably be more of a vacation to me than driving by myself behind a tour bus for HOURS on end (especially since some of the bus rides go late into the night - at least on the bus you have the option of sleeping). Just my two cents. But if it's something that your wife would be up to and R&E say it's okay, well then...have fun!

I've been to Scandinavia, and since every country uses a different currency (only Finland uses the Euro), it's best to just use a credit card or check card for all of your purchases.

Keep in mind that your credit card will probably charge some sort of exchange fee (or offer a less than favorable exchange rate), so this option might be more expensive.

^Also, there are several parks like Tusenfryd where this didn't work as NO ONE's card worked in their machines. You should always have some cash for each country. Come on, it's not that hard to get foreign currency ahead of time and just budget for what you need/want!

If anyone is concerned about this, don't be! You know I'll give you all the info you need on the board and the Trip Guide. Our 2005 Europe trip had five different currencies! This is only four!

^Also, there are several parks like Tusenfryd where this didn't work as NO ONE's card worked in their machines. You should always have some cash for each country. Come on, it's not that hard to get foreign currency ahead of time and just budget for what you need/want!

I remember that.

You don't have to know Norwegian to tell that you're not getting money out of this machine.

^You can put in your deposit for Texas and Deep South, then you need to tell me by the 2nd deadline which one you'll be doing for sure. At that point if you decide to only do one, we can move over the deposit money from the other trip to the one you've decided to do.

Make Sense?

Yes thanks a million!!

I am definitely thinking of doing the Deep South trip. Just a question, when exactly is the first $100 deposit due? I still have to talk things over a little with my parents to be sure that I can go. I will be 18 by the time of the trip. Also, I was just wondering, if you get free admission into one of the parks on the itinerary, will that be deducted from the price of the trip?

Keep in mind we'll be there during Summer time when a lot of the SoCal passes are blocked out.

The So Cal passes are blocked out til August 16th, and the TPR trip runs til the 17th. So basically TPR would have to be at DLR on the 16th if you wanted to use the So Cal pass to meet up.

Or just go on the trip and experience ALL the awesome parks and fun! TPR trips rule, hopefully I'll be able to meet a bunch of new faces on the Texas trip!

I am definitely thinking of doing the Deep South trip. Just a question, when exactly is the first $100 deposit due? I still have to talk things over a little with my parents to be sure that I can go. I will be 18 by the time of the trip. Also, I was just wondering, if you get free admission into one of the parks on the itinerary, will that be deducted from the price of the trip?

^I found this in the 2008 FAQ page. I'm assuming it still applies to 2009 trips.

kingdakafan33: Am i allowed to use my annual passes during the trips?

SharkTums: ^You can use them, but it won't give you any savings. We do 'events' with the park where we pay a flat fee for meals, ert, tickets, etc. They do not give us a discount for Annual Pass holders and therefore we cannot give you a discount.

On another note, I have been crunching numbers like a madman recently trying to find out if either Deep South or Texas is manageable on top of college. I'll probably send in the initial fee to be safe, and go from there. I'm hoping my school-less month of December provides me with a nice income.

Correct about passes not helping cost. When we put on the trips we do 'events' with the parks. This means they give us a flat fee per person that includes admission, meals, ert, etc. So we cannot offer a discount if you have a pass.

As for deposit deadlines. 'Technically' there isn't really a deadline for the 1st deposit. For Scandinavia you have to get it in ASAP as we may be having a lottery for that one in mid-November. For the other trips it helps us to know how many we have as soon as possible so we know how many buses we will have. If a bunch of people sign up early we know to order two buses, if not that many people sign up we'll only do one bus and then there may be a wait list.

Keep in mind we'll be there during Summer time when a lot of the SoCal passes are blocked out.

The So Cal passes are blocked out til August 16th, and the TPR trip runs til the 17th. So basically TPR would have to be at DLR on the 16th if you wanted to use the So Cal pass to meet up.

Or just go on the trip and experience ALL the awesome parks and fun! TPR trips rule, hopefully I'll be able to meet a bunch of new faces on the Texas trip!

Yeah but that would be kind of a waste of money for the so cal trip as I live about twenty minutes from Disneyland, an hour from Knotts, about an hour and a half from SFMM. 45 minutes from Scandia and about 5o minutes from castle park and pretty close to adventure city and I can drive and have my own car so I dont really need transportation.

Actuaully hopefully next summer I can be a Disney Cast member and may see you guys anyway so awesome.

^Keep in mind, as was mentioned several pages ago, that unless you know someone specifically on the trip that you're just gonna see the group running back and forth and you likely won't actually be hanging with the group. Bring a friend with you!

I'm pretty sure there's probably many people in the SoCal area thinking the same thing: I don't need to pay for the trip, I'll just show up and hang with them.

You're gonna be disappointed, when you have at best five minutes with anyone before you're left standing by yourself because the small groups that split up will be running off somewhere.

And please, please don't think you're gonna hang with Robb and Elissa. Trust, there's gonna be a big enough crowd from actual trip participants trying to smother them. I always say "give 'em room". Make a friend that's on the trip.

Terry

We'll be on the Deep South trip this year. Decided that we HAVE to go on a trip again (they are totally addictive and the best vacations I've EVER been on,) but will do a smaller trip in 2009 to save for an overseas trip (with TPR of course) in 2010.

Hopefully - be seeing some of you next summer!

David