TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My Comic Strip- Rib Roast

Jds03

Wow, you're getting a Delorean? (I'm pretty sure that's how they spell it)

You are going to be the next in the line of TPR Delorean owners, and you even make a comic strip! I'm now in the presence of the coolest TPR Member EVER!!!!!!!!

Seriously, man, if you get an Xbox 360, you may rank among the coolest people ever!

Well...I want a DeLorean. Actually I just want a car in general, but if someone offered to give me any car in the world I would choose a DeLorean because there awesome. Well… thinking about it more, maybe I’d ask for one of the super expensive Italian cars, then sell it and by 20 DeLorians!!!!

And I have an Xbox...but I don't get a chance to use it very often because I’m drawing. haha

Aswome comics! I think you should compile them into a book. Hopefully, one day, it can be published!

Thanks, that’s the next step I’m going to take if I get syndicated. Basically it's the syndicate’s job to sell the strips to media outlets, mostly newspapers, but it includes book printers too. So after doing strips for about a year, the syndicate would look at the collection I made and look at how popular the strip is, and if they think it will sell as a book collection they'll try to get a publisher to print it for me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

New Sunday!

This one turned out better than I expected, so I’m going to put it at the top of my syndicate package. The other five Sundays I’m using are the Logic/Baseball one, Art Class, Aqua Tube/sue, Guitar Hero, and Plutonium dog food.

Now I just need to make a ton of dailies and a cover letter, and I'll be on my way!

• 3 weeks later...

^Thanks! I've been looking in to a couple of art schools since I'm a junior, but I've been focusing on the University of Pennsylvania since my dad is the real estate director there and that means I can get free admission if I get accepted (which is the hard part)

But the problem with that is that begin accepted is not just biased on artwork but also academic performances, and since I use most of my classes as "inspiration sessions" for the witting of cartoons, I may have some problems with getting accepted. But if all else fails I'll just go to an art school with a strong emphasis on animation, which is the worlds ultimate kick-A art from.

I'll make sure to check out that link though!

And as for the status of my strips, I haven't been getting allot of time lately, with lots of time consuming classwork and also Lacrosse season, but I'm trying to line up the best ideas for daily strips and then knock them out and put the final package together. I already have all the Sundays I need, so now I just need about 10 more B&W daily and I'll be sending in my sample package. I'm sending it to the five major U.S. syndicates, United Features, Universal Press, Creators, King's Features and the Washington Post Writer's Group, so hopefully I'll get accepted by one of them.

• 5 weeks later...

Big Update!

Hey, everyone. I'm currently on spring break, and now that I have a few days of I'm going to go full force to get my syndicate package complete. I now need ten more dailies and a cover letter, before I’m ready to submit. I'm starting to line up some of the concepts I need to show in the next ten strips in order to give a view of all the aspects of my strip, but I have the meat of the daily examples already in place.

And this is where I ask your help. I have the ten daily strips that make up the meat of the package posted below. I can still replace some if I feel it’s necessary, so this is what I want you to do, Please tell me which is the best strip of the ten and which is the worst. Emphasis on the worst. Please, I am not going to be mad, in fact I will be allot happier than if you say “ I like them all” or “ they’re all good” because that’s probably not the way the syndicates are going to look at them. Even if you say “this one sucks” I will be happy because I will have an idea of what to put on the chopping block if I feel its necessary to add a new strip but don’t have room.

I have gotten allot of nice comments, which I greatly appreciate, but now I ask for any constructive criticism you have. If you see any spelling mistakes, or things I missed shading or anything, PLEASE TELL ME. Even if you have a tip of how the dialogue could be reworked to make it funnier, it will be greatly appreciated.

So I have ten strips below, which you may or may not have read. Please post something along the lines of this:

Best: comic #

Reason

Worst: Comic #

Reason and suggestion

Please give a shot explanation of why you chose these, or what in it could be changed. If you feel that a daily strip in this thread belongs in this batch, feel free to tell me also.

Again, do not be afraid to tell me any of them are bad. Criticism is what I need most now, so that I can change and fix to make it better. I will proably ask for more suggestions on newer strips down the line, but for now thanks in advanced for the help!

Comic #1

Comic #2

Comic #3

Comic #4

Comic #5

Comic #6

Comic #7

Comic #8

Comic #9

Comic #10

These make up 10 of the required 24, for the submission, although one syndicate is requesting only 18. I have a two strip series done and a few others that are not quite finished, but when I have more of possible dailies for the package, I will post them again.

Also, some good news not related to the syndicate package, I recently went to a banquet for the Pennsylvania 2009 Keystone Award Winners for Scholastic Journalism, since Ribroast run in my school paper, and I managed to take first place for the cartoon/ graphic illustration category! This was great for the strip, since now with the certificate they gave me can be photocopied it and placed it in my syndicate package to make it look more impressive.

And again, one giant thank you for any help you give!

^ Thanks!

I have a two strip series that I am considering putting in the package to show that I can make dailies which are connected, but I thought I'd see if anyone finds them funny first because I am not too sure about their overall "humor value". I tired to make the punch line an awkward conversation starter, but I’m not sure if it’s just random and not that awkward. Also I’m not sure if the second strip makes allot of sense on its own without the first strip, but you can tell me what you think.

Remember honesty too. If it sucks, don’t be afraid to tell me.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got a few more strips I finished recently. I’m tiring to finish as many as I can but, I barley have 3 hours a week to draw, so there not getting done very fast.

Also here is a very bad quality Sunday that only appeared in my school newspaper. Because I mentioned before, I have very, very limited time so I could only finish this one in black and white, since our newspaper isn’t color and B&W takes less time. I just figured I’d post it here for everyone in the meantime, since I’m not going to finish this one until I finish all the other dailies for the package.

YAY! Thank you for being the first person to pick up on the Millennium force logo signature! I sign all my artwork like that, that way everything I make has an association to me and my obsession with roller coasters and theme parks. It’s like a symbol says a thousand words, right?

Oh yeah, and I used to have those shampoo bottles too, so I thought that would be a fun sight gag for nineties kids.

There are lots of hidden things like than in my comics, you just have to look close. You’d be surprised how many times I’ve slipped TTD> KK in a comic.

You know what? I just noticed that your signature was MF's logo too.

As an artist who puts a lot of detail into drawings, I like to hide subliminal messages in my artwork as well.

Overall between you and Flipdude, both of you are excellent comic strip artists. All your strips so far have made me crack up. Thanks for posting these and good luck getting them syndicated.

• 1 month later...

I am now on a full scale charge to finish my syndicate package. I’ve been dealing with school crap for so long that I haven’t been able to even finish 8 dailies, which is all I need before I can send it in. Now that school is over and I took Friday and Saturday to rest, everyday until I finish those eight strips I’m spending solely on cartooning. I set my goal to be at a bare minimum one strip a day, so I should be finished in less than a week, seeing that it’s possible for me to get two or more done in a day.

Since I got up on Sunday I’ve finished 3 strips and worked on countless others. here’s the three I’ve done:

I’ll keep you guys updated all week, so they’ll be at least one strip a day for the next week or so. Check back often!