TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My Comic Strip- Rib Roast

Jds03

Pg.4 - I need your help selecting strips for my syndicate package!

I draw a comic strip called RibRoast, because all of my characters that act like humans are pigs for no particular reason... But any way I'm currently in the process of putting together my best strips and sending a submission to United Features syndicate, so that it could start appearing in actual newspapers.

I write, draw, pen and electronically color and shade all of the comics myself. Ive been working on drawing comics is a comic strip format for more than a year now, and you can probably see the difference between some older and newer strips. One main difference is that the text in older ones is lowercase font and all cartoons have all Capps text.

So enjoy! Oh and tell me which strips you thought were the funniest or best that could help me in putting together my syndicate package!

These are some of my Sunday comics:

And here are some dailies:

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments everyone!

So what's the process behind something like this? Are they hand-drawn, computer-generated or a little of both? I've always been fascinated by comics creation.

A little bit of both. The strip really takes its form on paper and then i spice it up via Photoshop. I start by measuring and drawing the panels then i go over it with an ink pen. Then i add pencil lines for the dialogue and arrange it, because its much easier to move characters around than it is to move around dialogue. Then i sketch in figures, and then add more detail with a thinker pencil. Finally i go over the figures with the ink pen and rub an eraser over the entire strip, then i move to the computer by scanning my strip.

Recently though, Ive started to only use the computer for Sundays and Ive been shading the dailies with really awesome prisma-color cool Grey markers. It makes the same effect but in half the time!

Your comic strip is very good, Josh. If I had the time, I'd devote more time to the one I've done for 30 years.

Just a tip: you might consider using a computer font (Comic Sans, Arial, etc.) for your dialogue. That'll make it a bit easier to read.

But your characters are drawn well and it looks like there are quite a few possibilities for storylines, situations, etc.

Eric

Thanks Eric,

Ive thought about doing the text on the computer but i realized it looks much more traditional with all Capps handwriting, and i think i mentioned before, i find it critical to make sure the text is arranged before the figures.

But that's cool that you've had a comic strip for 30 years, I'd love to see some if you don't mind!

^ When I started mine, I drew it on notebook paper, if you can believe it! Sometimes I even incorporated the holes into the story, or as an O in the dialogue.

I worked as a drafter for a few years back when we did drawings by hand, so my handwriting got to be very good, and still is today. In my dialogue, I use upper and lower case lettering. That allows me to use all caps to express anger or surprise (or yelling).

Sad to say, my drawing skills are...lacking, but everyone says the it's the storyline that makes it what it is. I've never been able to do a short two- or three-panel one with a quick joke that would be used in a daily newspaper. Mine are long adventures with humorous bits along the way.

Eric

Everyone says the it's the storyline that makes it what it is. I've never been able to do a short two- or three-panel one with a quick joke that would be used in a daily newspaper. Mine are long adventures with humorous bits along the way.

That's cool, i started that way actually, in fact Ive really been drawing comics with pigs since i was in 6th grade, however i only started drawing in a newspaper style strip a little more than a year ago. When i was in middle school though i was allot like you. I drew in my notebook all the time, and the pigs i drew were not in any way a figure of art, they looked more like a kindergartner drew them ( even though i could draw decent then, i drew them badly to add to the comedy). But i did a few six or seven paneled strips then, but mostly like you it was long adventures with jokes sprinkled over it.

When i got to high school though the comic drastically evolved to what it is now. The character with long hair named peter is the original star character, only when he was a simple pig drawing his name was "Hammie" ( Ham.... haha get it?). but as he began to stand upright, he developed the personality of a human, and now almost all the pig characters are exactly like humans only with ears noses and hooves like a pig.

In the meantime, does you school have a newspaper? If so I would submit some of these.

Yep, as a matter of fact it's been running for a full year now.

^I started my comic work in 6th grade (last year), and use stick figures. Unlike you guys, my main influence is the highly random, highly offensive Cyanide and Happiness so my comics are short, sweet, and to the point. And so out there that no newspaper would ever take them . anyway, here's one of my favorite Cyanide comics. And this is one of the toned down ones!

• 1 month later...

Here are some more recent strips. I would have more but recently I've been focusing less on my comics and have been spending my time on more serious artwork, (not to mention spending time on TPR )

But anyway, enjoy these. Once i get my portfolio for summer art classes together by January 6th, I'm going to finish up and send my syndicate package, then start stockpiling on strips. When 2009 starts expect strips to start flowing like water

Oh and tell me what you think of the "marker shading" i mentioned before. This is the only finished marker shaded daily, and it didn't turn out like i had hoped so stopped the work on allot of the strips that i started to shade with markers. But really I'd just like to know if people want me to go back to computer shading, like Ive been doing.

^I started my comic work in 6th grade (last year), and use stick figures. Unlike you guys, my main influence is the highly random, highly offensive Cyanide and Happiness so my comics are short, sweet, and to the point. And so out there that no newspaper would ever take them . anyway, here's one of my favorite Cyanide comics. And this is one of the toned down ones!

Explosm rocks.

I have a new "heart warming" christmas stirp fresh off the grill. I finished less than 10 minets ago.

I lack the ability to make a "politicly correct" christmas strip.

So, as i said, i can't spend any time on comics untill January, but then there goign to come flying in.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Basically, this is where I am now: I just finished my history class completely, literally minuets ago, and I’m going to be done chemistry tomorrow. Then on Friday I just need to turn in something for my art class and I’m free at last. Well, until the spring semester work starts piling up…

For about a week between when I finished my portfolio and finals I drew a bunch of strips, but I haven’t computerized them yet. But after Friday I'm determined to have my syndicate packages sent in by mid February. I’ve already gotten folders ready to send to 4 major syndicates and hopefully one if not more will accept, then I get to debate prices and hopefully get enough to buy a Delorian because after robb's topic I realized their AWESOME!!!

So stay tuned their going to be a ton more coming.