TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

Option C: Install fencing to seperate props/monitors from guests, and design it into the shape of a hallway, creating a queue, then loop the videos.

Pro: Evens the dispatch intervals with show time

Con: Kills intended experience

Well, this is sort of what BGW did with Curse of DarKastle--turned the pre-show into just another part of the queue.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mistake. I did mean the 2nd pre-show room. I accidentally thought of the hallway with the 2nd installment of the video as a room. I'm just going off of Robb's video on the first page.

Returned from a decent monday at the mountain, and for those of you who also were slightly irritated with having to walk through ALL the switchbacks when there was no line, good news. The first set has been cut and chains added so you can by-pass them on a slow day hu-rah!

Also there was no one assigning seats today, thus we got to ride in all of our favorite seats. Row 5 being my top choice now. Something about it is just pure better than all the other rows.

Things are slowly starting to flow a bit better out there. And that whole crew is starting to recognize me.

^ That's great to hear. I'm headed up there tomorrow so I hoping for multiple rides on everything. By the way was everything working? Did Tatsu, X2 or Deja Vu have any downtime today? Hopefully all goes well tomorrow and it will be great taking my first ride on Terminator.

^Tatsu was down in the morning but seemed to run fine the rest of the day as well as X2 which opened late so it started the morning off with what looked like a 2 hour wait. *I opted to skip and walk on to most every ride in the park for the first 2 hours* Then went back later and waited about 30 minutes for X2.

all the crews were stacking trains today and being kind of slow except for the Terminator crew, they are kickin' A$$

Linejumping requires a zen approach.

First, avoid lines at all costs. Carefully research low attendance days and special ERT days to avoid the "great unwashed". That way, you can ride to your heart's content, no matter how many ill-mannered hooligans cut in front of you. Careful planning round attendance figures can reduce that "I'm going to kill someone" feeling.

It's a mindset--when I am faced with ill-mannered people in line, I relish the entertainment.

For example, when a teen returns to join his party at the front of the line, does the group even want him there? Is he even popular enough? Watch their reactions. And when a young adult returns to his party at the front of the line, what were his reasons for leaving? A small bladder? How awkward. Why wouldn't his party wait for him? Most of the time, it's just a bathroom break. If someone is using the "I know someone at the head of the line" strategy, watch the awkwardness on the faces of the parties he joined!! Do they really want him there? It's social embarrassment that's just fun to watch.

When I was a kid, I could have killed people jumping in line. Now that I'm older, I instead focus on trip planning which increases your ride count by 10 or 20 rides each visit, taking the focus away from linejumpers anyway.

ok they finally chained the first set of switchbacks,

yet they havent fixed the overly red hue of the tv last part of the swithbacks.... errrg painful to look at

the waits about 30 mins

hold on it broke down, mantainance is on the track,

im waiting for it. ok test train just ran and stoped on the brake run for a bit, then another ran, well see

I finally got a chance to ride Terminator on Sunday morning and I have to agree with most, that the experience surpassed my expectations. The theming was well done and I felt that the total experience was fun. Of course, I also loved the ride.

My only complaint was that they didn't open the line until 11am, (the park opened at 10:30) so everyone who had rushed back to ride had to wait in a line that started just outside the sign. By the time the coaster opened, the line stretched down to the go karts. I am sure this delay was not intentional and after things got going the operations were great. They did struggle to get full trains with the pre show timing as discussed.

We only got two rides on the coaster because of the delayed opening, so I can't wait for ERT on the 28th! Overall, this blows away (theme wise) anything I have seen at any Six Flags park. Well done!

They did struggle to get full trains with the pre show timing as discussed.

I really hope they get this sorted out soon. It's just not acceptable to let rows go empty like that.

As much as I know the park wants everyone to see the pre-show, they may just have to bit the bullet and let people walk past it to fill those trains.

I'm sure they'll get it sorted out.

Good to hear about the other minor improvements since opening.

--Robb

Instead of posting a new thread, I'll put my PTR here, so enjoy.

It is the year 2009.

The economy is dying, and the country is going to hell.

But 6 determined people join the Resistance and take a ride on...

Terminator Salvation: The Ride

For those who may not know what this is, it is the newest coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain, a GCI wooden coaster featuring a first of its kind pre-show and audio system. As the park put is so nicely, this isn't just a ride, it's an experience.

And while the pre-show, audio, and flames (you read that right) were nice, the ride holds its own without the fancy extras.

Although the coaster tops out at 100ft, and only takes you up to speeds of about 52 mph, the 3 minute long ride offers such an amazing feel, that it truly creates its own experience. To get the full depth of the small pieces of airtime, a backseat ride is necessary.

For any who don't feel like reading the above, here are some pretty pictures to stare at:

While waiting in line, there is scant theming to please the eye. One centerpiece is this Jepp, an actual prop from Terminator Salvation (the movie)

One thing that personally impressed me was how close the queue is the track. You can literally reach up and touch the braces to the track in some areas.

Upon entering the queue right before the pre-show, this massive tow truck lies half buried in the sand. This is an actual movie prop from Terminator Salvation (the movie).

These tanks were part of the facade for the pre-show building. The theming, for being sparse, was quite elaborate and cool, especially for being Six Flags quality.

Another little piece of theming outside the pre-show building.

Station flyby. Would have been a lot better an element if the station could hold more, thus allowing people to be able to wait and see it pass.

I apoligize for the quality of these 2 pictures. But in general, the first one shows that they are trying to keep the theming up throughout the entire ride. The second is a really bad quality shot of what the first car looks like. Even with the blur, you can see the detail they put into the seats.

And now time to ride! Pic 1: (counter clockwise, starting at left) Me, Gene, Bolliger&Mabillard's girlfriend (don't know how to spel her name), Bolliger&Mabillard. Pic 2: (counter clockwise, starting in upper lefthand corner) Vekoma6382, Monica, B&M's girlfriend, Bolliger&Mabillard

The 100 ft. lift. It had a weird jolt to it that had you rocking back and forth a bit when the train first engaged the chain.

The predrop turn definitely gets you pumped up, in combination of the audio's machine gun fire and best quote of the ride: "They're coming!!!"

After the drop, there is a nice little airtime hill that takes you right under the exit bridge connecting the station to the stairs.

Great area for pictures, if you have a good enough camera.

Great little pop of airtime at the end of the deadman's turn and right before the...

Here's a hint

One of the two tunnels on the ride. When we were there, they did not have the fog on.

I end with 2 of my favorite pics of the ride.

Surprising enough, they have the ride in an area that allows it to stick out and be noticed, but it is not a very photogenic coaster. It seems to give you its rear end most of the time.

The 100 ft. lift. It had a weird jolt to it that had you rocking back and forth a bit when the train first engaged the chain.

I've noticed that on this and the other GCI I've been on Roar, must just be their chain mechanisms or whatever. Great report though, makes me excited to go back

Hey I'm not sure if I'm just an unobservant idiot (I'm 99% sure that's the case) but in watching separate terminator pov's I think I've noticed the lights in the first tunnel under the pre lift as white sometimes and red other times. I'm probably just seeing things, just wondering if anyone else has seen that too.

^I've only ever noticed the red lights in the tunnels.

I did happen to get twelve rides in with the mist on Thursday... the only thing I didn't like about the mist was the coldness of it. Other than that, I thought it was pretty cool.

I have 33 rides on Terminator so far and every ride keeps getting better and better. The trains are breaking in quite nicely.

Sincerely,

R.C.

Hey I'm not sure if I'm just an unobservant idiot (I'm 99% sure that's the case) but in watching separate terminator pov's I think I've noticed the lights in the first tunnel under the pre lift as white sometimes and red other times. I'm probably just seeing things, just wondering if anyone else has seen that too.

When the coaster first opened, the first tunnel still had the white lights from when they were working on the ride. The park didn't get them replaced with the red bulbs (like in the second tunnel) till sometime after opening day.

I only rode the coaster one time and I only noticed the fire and non of the other effects. I didn't even notice when we passed through the station. I guess it was the speed of the coaster and I was having too much fun to notice.

I ended up riding in row 4 of one of the trains and the only thing that pissed me off is that it looked like someone had already pried off one of the speaker covers for the onride audio. Hopefully Six Flags keeps up with the maintenance on all of this stuff they invested so much in.

I noticed one of the trains had every other row with a pulled off speaker piece. The train I rode in on Saturday was less destroyed.

I think they should get rid of the entire theme. And the sound was just annoying. But the ride was quite awesome. Anyone else think when this ride becomes old, that the theme is going to seem stupid and cheesey?

I ended up riding in row 4 of one of the trains and the only thing that pissed me off is that it looked like someone had already pried off one of the speaker covers for the onride audio. Hopefully Six Flags keeps up with the maintenance on all of this stuff they invested so much in.