TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible that since the machines have taken over, the Resistance is forced to start again from the bare bones, hence the wooden coaster idea. I may be reaching, but it's the way that I see it as working if they are going to make the ride fit the theming.

Why are you guys even worried about figuring this out? It's not like anyone asks for an explanation as to why the Batcave has an inverted coaster in it, or why Superman's ice fortress needs a 400 foot escape tower. Six Flags story telling theming has always been half hearted and rarely extends onto the actual ride. It's a wooden coaster with some Terminator props in the line.

A combo in the track structure, wood and steel, old looking pieces of steel, something looking like they threw together whatever they could salvage, bits of wood, metal sheeting and I-beams from some warehouse building.....thats what would have made this 100% complete.(obviously, the coaster built all out of wood, with faux steel pieces attached as well), the structure alone would make people scared about riding it......something that looks right out of a Mad Max movie....not a traditional modern steel coaster though, that would have been uncreative....a woodie is perfect for this theme, just something that looks thrown together, made out of whatever possible from the scraps of the apocalypse....thats what they should have done.

This just in on...LA times terminator salvation theming was revealed. and i quote...

Movie stars add backstory to Terminator coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Riders queuing up to board the new Terminator Salvation wooden roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain this summer will get survival instructions from two of the movie’s stars: rapper/actor Common and model/actress Moon Bloodgood.

Currently under construction, the $10-million coaster will feature an additional $1 million in theming to tie in with the ride’s “Terminator Salvation” movie storyline.

While waiting in the queue, riders will be encouraged via video clips featuring Common and Bloodgood to “join the resistance” and help fight the Terminator robots.

Common, who plays a soldier named Barnes in the movie, and Bloodgood, who portrays pilot Blair Williams, will explain the key points of the movie’s plot while laying out the ride’s back story.

During the “training session,” riders are warned that the “machines are coming” and to “go to the safe house” to await further instructions.

The “safe house” in this case will be the coaster loading station, which will be filled with movie props and memorabilia including Terminator robots.

Er, the trains look like they belong on an indoor spinning coaster, like The Dark Knight rides. But they're probably look better once all the props are up and especially after walking through the queue and preshow.

Any thoughts on if they've add lights for effect when riding at night? That would be pretty interesting.

This may not be relevant but I know that this is the first Terminator of a new trilogy. Is it possible that the ride will tie not only into Salvation but possibly the other movies?

It's possible that since the machines have taken over, the Resistance is forced to start again from the bare bones, hence the wooden coaster idea. I may be reaching, but it's the way that I see it as working if they are going to make the ride fit the theming.

Why are you guys even worried about figuring this out? It's not like anyone asks for an explanation as to why the Batcave has an inverted coaster in it, or why Superman's ice fortress needs a 400 foot escape tower. Six Flags story telling theming has always been half hearted and rarely extends onto the actual ride. It's a wooden coaster with some Terminator props in the line.

Because some of us have a differing opinion from the "Terminator + Wood Coaster = Doesn't work" crowd. I don't see what's wrong with trying to explain a contrasting point of view.

their training, they become “resistance fighters” and board the roller coaster.

Dude, you really need to read our posting rules before you post or do anything on TPR again:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21962

I've already had to edit your avatar, delete one of your posts and edit another. If you can't follow our very simple posting rules, do not post here.

--Robb

EDIT - I've just had to delete ANOTHER one of your posts. Seriously, if you post again, and it's crap, your account will be banned.

I think the trains look perfectly fine, i think once their on the track testing they will look great, i just hope that the front train will have something cool on the front of it instead of wat the other cars do.

I was kinda hoping the very front train car would have a metallic Terminator face on it. Oh well, and as for the trains, I don't think they'd look any better on the track because metal doesn't really go well with wood.

Sleek looking trains. The black and grey with 'machine accents' look hot. It looks like the sound system will play facing towards the rider whereas X2 plays from the side and back of your head. If this is so, where are the speakers for the front row riders?

The cars look cool. I think that a wooden coaster gives a more out of control feel that most wooden coasters go for which makes perfect sense for this coaster. A steel coaster would have worked no doubt but it would have been expected and probably met with the same critics like this one was. Anyway, I think many of you are dogging the front panels a little to harshly considering that you'd probably never really see them since they'll be connected to another car. I only hope that the actual lead car don't have that ugly bannister that the older MF trains have and have a truly original lead car or a bannisterless front like prowler. I guess we'll see Sunday.

On a slightly different note, I got an e-mail from our ACE rep, and ACE won't be participating in the Media Day festivities. Apparently, the park didn't need their participation.

Eric

Sorry, but I don't think they look as good as everyone else seems to think.

Deep down, the theme doesn't fit a wooden coaster, and these sheet metal trains don't either.

I couldn't agree more.

Why does everyone have to negatively critique this ride? Why doesn't wood fit the proposed theme of Terminator and why don't the trains fit the coaster? You haven't seen the movie and you have not been on the ride to see all that it offers. Just appreciate the ride for it's main purpose--fun. I mean, what's next--the electrical wiring is too complex or the lift chain is too slow, or the wheels are too shiny? Just appreciate the ride for what it's main objective is.