TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Spring Break Out last week, the MC's said the following:

"Be sure to come back on May 23rd, when our brand new wooden coaster, Terminator Salvation: The Ride opens!..."

As stated before, Media Day is scheduled for May 21st and the Opening Day is scheduled for May 23rd.

^ That seems to be the norm for rides at SFMM. Media Day is on Thursday, then the ride opens to the public either the next day or on Saturday.

On Media Day itself, once the media is done getting their shots, the new ride stays open till early afternoon with unlimited rides for those invited (usually ACE members).

Eric

^ That seems to be the norm for rides at SFMM. Media Day is on Thursday, then the ride opens to the public either the next day or on Saturday.

On Media Day itself, once the media is done getting their shots, the new ride stays open till early afternoon with unlimited rides for those invited (usually ACE members).

Eric

Wait, do you have to be a member of ACE to attend?

"Wait, do you have to be a member of ACE to attend?" (CreditCrazy)

SFMM contacts our local ACE rep, who in turn sends out an e-mail to local members announcing the event and telling us that there are just so many spots open, so first come, first served get in. Whether other groups are invited is not known to me.

The whole point of having ACE members there is to fill the trains for video shoots for newscasts and still shots for the papers.

Eric

The whole point of having ACE members there is to fill the trains for video shoots for newscasts and still shots for the papers.

I thought it was for "stress testing".

Ok, that's it for me and the ACE jokes. For a while at least.

Looks like I'll have to ride it on the weekend

It's a three day weekend, so maybe we will go Sunday stay at a hotel and come back monday

So I won't be first to ride it, but far from last!

It's getting close right? Does anyone think it will be doing test run by the end of the month? It seems behind schedule to me...

^ I've noticed that when to comes to construction and parks trying to meet a deadline you'd be surprised as to how quickly things can get done. They only have a little bit of work left in regards to the track. PERSONALLY I would have to say that testing will probably start like early next month. BUT who really knows. Unless anyone can read Jay, Tim, or Neals minds.

I'm just going by the fact that no electrical work has begun. I know it's going to take a while to wire the whole coaster up! I thought coasters test for about before opening... maybe I got that info from an old Nova video on Drachen Fire!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing in regards to the wiring. They also still need to build the station as well as transfer and storage. On X2 they had staff testing the ride 24/7. My friend said that on X2 it wasn't the number of hours but the number of cycles. She can't recall the number of cycles but she said "days and days of non stop testing." So they may do the same to try and get the ride ready for its scheduled opening.

I am incredibly excited to ride it though. It looks amazing. I would be incredibly surprised if it was a let down

maybe I got that info from an old Nova video on Drachen Fire!

I actually remember that Nova episode!

In terms of testing, it is going to really depend on the type of ride. Rides that are doing something new and innovative take a longer time to test. Terminator doesn't really do anything innovative (not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with that) so I would be willing to guess that testing for it will be pretty quick.

"Terminator doesn't really do anything innovative" (AllenA07)

Actually, it does. It's the first wooden coaster with an onboard sound system, so that will figure into the testing. With wooden coasters obviously not as smooth as most steel ones, I think there's a factor of components coming loose with the vibrations of repeated circuits.

Of course, as I've said before, I'm sure this was all taken into account during the design phase.

Eric

"Terminator doesn't really do anything innovative" (AllenA07)

Actually, it does. It's the first wooden coaster with an onboard sound system, so that will figure into the testing. With wooden coasters obviously not as smooth as most steel ones, I think there's a factor of components coming loose with the vibrations of repeated circuits.

Eric

Ah Eric I stand corrected! I completely forgot about the onboard sound. Those can be tricky to get to work right so yeah I'm sure that is going to take some more time. But I agree with what has been said, the people that build these rides know how to do it better then any of us do. I'm sure they have a calender telling them where they have to be at any given point in order to get the ride open in time.

actually yeah. they were just recently taken out after the last rehab the ride went through, the quality was.. indecent at best. I liked the Xcel ones better IMO

..edit--> They were on for quite some time actually on Silver and Copper Trains..

A friend and I bought the Ghostrider one back in November. I was actually surprised at the quality of the recording...even considering we did our ride just after dark. It was pretty clear thanks to the night vision thing they had going on.

I have no doubt that the roughness of the ride had something to due with its ultimate demise. It took us three rides to get our video, but I have to say the roughness meant a very classic, sheer terror/pain look on our faces.

It seems they moved the system around a bit...it was on Silver Bullet during my Haunt visit in 2007 and on Xcel during my September 2008 visit and on neither during Solace, but still on Sidewinder through all my visits (at least I think it was still there during Solace).

But about Terminator and the sound system - I dont think the fact that its wood will have any effect. I mean X2 isnt the smoothest coaster in the world and for the most part, its sound is pretty reliable. Granted you may get some crappy speakers every once and a while, but its been pretty good. Even better this year than last.

I hope they can have everything done and ready by the end of the month. I do not think I will be able to go opening weekend though. If there is a camp out I will most likely go, oh I hope there is! On a side note Does anyone have any ideas on what the on board audio will be like? I am thinking it is going to be like war music. That would be cool ( but doubtful ) that it has rockin music like X. Oh I can not wait

^First off, nice sig secondly, if I had to guess what it'd be, I'm betting on the lift hill there'd be quotes of people saying "join the resistance" and stuff like that, and when it speeds up it'll probably an action song from one of the terminator movies or something, but that's just my two cents.

p.s: They should totally put the "I'll be back" sound clip at the end

"I mean X2 isnt the smoothest coaster in the world and for the most part, its sound is pretty reliable." (haiderodes)

X2 isn't so smooth for riders because of the seat motions and such, but even being an Arrow coaster it's still smoother than a woodie.

Eric

From SFMM's Facebook page:

"Actor/musician Common filmed pre-show footage at Six Flags Magic Mountain on Tuesday for the theme park’s newest coaster, Terminator® Salvation™: The Ride. The new coaster, slated to open Memorial Day weekend, is based on the summer movie of the same name. The new coaster theme features props and scenes from the upcoming movie."

Pictures from the pre-show shoot can be found here:

www.facebook.com/pages/Six-Flags-Magic-Mountain/67502107124?v=info&viewas=669868696#/album.php?aid=101054&id=67502107124

Anybody want to take a guess as to where this sequence was filmed?