TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Pike explained on the Kentucky Rumbler tour that the concrete slab allows the coaster to be all tied together much like house construction built on a slab. Thus, with the footers locked into place, the ride holds up better with much less maintenance required over time. I wonder if it might be possible to use a "waffle" slab which would allow vegetation to grow through and be a little more on the enviro friendly green side.

I'm very excited to see vertical progress on this coaster! Even with El Toro going up a few years back, I didn't get to follow it's progress. Very interesting. It makes me want to visit SoCal that much sooner! I'm shooting for 2010, but who knows. The hubby hasn't exactly wanted to do that... so I give in! But first Tatsu, now this? I may have to find a way to go without!

"The big concrete foundation is going to make the view ugly as hell though." (MixedDrink)

I heard something about having a bunch of short, parallel lines painted on the slab. It works for Scream!

As for me, I think next weekend is open, and I need to see if the season pass booklets are in, so a visit might be in order. Hopefully the tower will be open so I can get a bird's eye view.

Eric

I wonder if it might be possible to use a "waffle" slab which would allow vegetation to grow through and be a little more on the enviro friendly green side.

You would compromise the slab if you were to do that.

Much like a house with a post-tension slab, you don't really cut into it because you would lose your tension. I'm assuming the same would happen here and we'd have Psyclone: Salvation instead of Terminator: Salvation.

I wonder if we have any closet concrete enthusiasts around here. If so, HEAVEN AWAITS!!!

Maybe it helps drainage or makes it easier to retrieve items lost or dropped down there.

Whatever...we're getting what looks like a great ride, and it's only four months away!

Eric

Well I'm glad that the ball is finally rolling on this project. Four months is just going to roll right around and before we know it media and opening days will be right here. I can't wait. not just for the ride, not just for the reviews, but for the speculations and the back and forth arguments for the '10 coaster.

I wonder if we have any closet concrete enthusiasts around here. If so, HEAVEN AWAITS!!!

I think this would interest those certain individuals.

---Brent

LOL, That was hilarious, Terminator may be better themed to a concrete coaster than a wooden coaster anyway. At least the Terminators run on concrete, but there is no wood anywhere. Not to bash the ride at all, in fact, this is probably the happiest I've ever been for an announced ride. I've never been on a good wooden roller coaster besides Ghost Rider in it's prime, but living in California, even Ghost Rider in its current condition is my favorite Woodie.This is easily the best news of 09 for me.

Construction Pics, The Inauguration, Bush Leaving... I'm about to jump for joy! could this day get any better?

I wonder if it might be possible to use a "waffle" slab which would allow vegetation to grow through and be a little more on the enviro friendly green side.
Prowler is pretty much using a "waffle" slab. It's 5 foot deep trenches that connect all of the footers. It's probably a lot more concrete than the slab approach though.

^^^I've heard NJ has a decent one as well. I haven't been there, though, so that could just be a rumor.

I'm still curious about the theming attached to this, though not in the "omg whys a wood coaster themed to steel stuff" way. I'm curious to see what all they include theme wise, and how specific the theming will be to the upcoming movie, versus the franchise as a whole. I'd imagine it would be fairly broad theming, to make it withstand the times a bit better, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

GCI's always look so sexy. I doubt that slab will be too much of an eyesore.