TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

^ True, but also bear in mind that the Goliath death was due to a pre-existing condition, the Scream! death was due to a stupid employee being somewhere they should not have been. The fact that multiple people have been ejected from different Intamin rides with T-Bars should be a hint to Intamin that they need to either completely redesign the T-Bar, or come up with a system to prevent the ride from dispatching if the bar is not in a safe position (and make sure all installations are modified). Also of note, no one has ever been killed on a B&M as a result of mechanical failure or restraint failure, only pre-existing conditions or going into danger zones.

I totally understand your point, again, mine was just showing that sometimes it's a crapshoot!

The vast majority of roller coaster/theme park accidents are due to rider/operator negligence (or parental negligence in putting someone on the ride that shouldn't be on it). The rides themselves are quite safe no matter the manufacturer.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/\ They had a pretty nasty lawsuit also when Vekoma couldnt get the GIB's to operate correctly so Six Flags kicked them off the project and hired Premier to work on the rides (and Six Flags did a lot of the programming themselves). I wouldnt count on it, but Vekoma has restructured and is almost an entirely different company since then and SF has asked them to work on the rides (though when the Vekoma engineers came to SFGAm for the most part they scratched their heads and went wtf because the rides programming was completely different than desgined). They also bought a few Flying Dutchmans that year I dont think they were happy with those either.

I think Six Flags is happy with the GCI/Mack/Gerstlauer rides theyve gotten the past couple years and Zamperla flat rides because of their fiberglass work (even though their engineering is awful). As I said earlier, nothing is out of the question down the road but they clearly dont like Intamin as their in a lawsuit right now and havent bought an Intamin ride under their current management.

Then they should just close the park.

Tried that

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun/23/business/fi-sixflags23

Sharktums is absolutely right that its a crapshoot, who knows what the 10' coaster will be, but based on whats going on we can make educated guesses as to what it will not be

• 2 weeks later...
I totally understand your point, again, mine was just showing that sometimes it's a crapshoot!

The vast majority of roller coaster/theme park accidents are due to rider/operator negligence (or parental negligence in putting someone on the ride that shouldn't be on it). The rides themselves are quite safe no matter the manufacturer.

And from this standpoint I can understand, for example, why Intamin would make a complete switch to OTSR's, because you can't change the neglegence of stupid people, but you can change the rides to be even safer.

January 17th, 2009 Update!

So I get a call from GCI yesterday "Terminator has gone VERTICAL! Go get pics!" And of course since I always do what I'm told, I now bring you a new Terminator construction update! Yes, the ride is now vertical! YAY!!! I'm told that about 70 bents will be in place by Monday and a lot of progress is going to happen very quickly. We will continue to update on a regular basis now so check this thread for more updates!

Here are the photos from today:

"Please excuse our mess - the Governator will be arriving soon!"

Ahh, looks like one of the older structures at the park, the shooting gallery, has been removed to make way for...OMG...what is that I see?

YES! Terminator has gone VERTICAL!!!

Makes you wonder if these structures may not be around much longer now that we know a Cold Stone is going in at the front of the park and there has been the hint of new bathrooms on the horizon.

This view will once again have a wooden structure behind it soon!

Bents started going up on Friday, and here is what has been done so far.

As you can see, it's Saturday, and bents are still being put up.

They put this one in place while I was here taking pictures.

Ahh, those little blocks of wood make great merchandise! Just stamp the Terminator logo on it and you've got something that every coaster enthusiast will buy just like Holiday World and other parks do! (hint, hint) One man's left over wood is a gold mine to coaster geeks!

Internet world, meet Mr. Small Crane...hopefully we'll see his cousin Mr. Big Crane in some future updates.

Another shot of the OMG VERTICAL CONSTRUCTION!!!

These guys are just waiting their turn.

More Popsicle sticks.

Yup, the back area of the park is looking wooden again!

And now...all the photos you just saw...but from the SKY TOWER!! Oooooh...

Hmm...bents being prepared to go up, or alien spaceship landing spot...you decide!

That's a LOT of popsicle sticks!

I like how it just looks like a "pile of bents" just thrown there! LOL! (We see you nice and newly painted Deja Vu!)

Here's a nice overview of the vertical construction, the alien landing pad, newly painted Deja Vu, the pile 'o bents, and lots of popsicle sticks.

GRRR!!! A spaceship had landed and taken off and we *just* missed it!

Goodbye shooting gallery! Hopefully this area will eventually be the new entrance to the Terminator ride. I think that would be awesome!

You can really see how much room is already opened up and how much more room could be created if the other two buildings came down.

Hmm...eventually cables there?

Another overview. As you can see the ride is going to be BIG!

And finally, one last look at the progress. I have a feeling that we'll see a lot of work by next weekend!

And yes, Deja Vu looks GREAT!

Not much activity here.

We see you Riddler's train!

It's nice to see that the Sky Tower museum is still looking great!

If you know what coaster this is and where it currently is operating, email Dan the answer! mrt0ad13@aol.com

We like the more flags, more fun guy, but who doesn't miss Mr. Six?

Still have a bit of work to do on the Q-Bot area. Looking forward to this getting done! That's it for the update this week! We will have more photos of Terminator's progress next weekend.

And remember that we are also putting the photos in our Park Index as well:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=23&linkid=4166

Until next week...thanks for reading!

--Robb

The fact that multiple people have been ejected from different Intamin rides with T-Bars should be a hint to Intamin that they need to either completely redesign the T-Bar, or come up with a system to prevent the ride from dispatching if the bar is not in a safe position (and make sure all installations are modified).

They already have that.

Regarding SF vs. Intamin: From what I have gathered, there was definitely some issues. They were none to pleased with S:TE. And rightfully so. But that happens with every theme park company out there. You hire a vendor to do something, you feel they haven't met their end of the deal, and a battle ensues. Disney, Universal, SF, Busch, and CF all have to go through this. But that's just business. If Intamin puts in the best bid for any future projects, I doubt SF is going to turn them down.

Hmm...eventually cables there?

How many GCIs have you seen use cables?! What goes there is something not unfamiliar to the GCI twister...

That would be this (dead man ring/vertical beams?), right?

The only reason I'm paying any attention to Terminator is because I'm interested in seeing just how a wooden coaster is constructed.

Nevertheless, it looks like it will be a great ride, and Robb's frequent updates will make sure we don't miss a bit of construction.

I'm looking forward to actually seeing what this coaster will look like. That funky drawing of it doesn't really do much for me. It would've been nice to have a computer generated image of the layout...but doesn't matter now! We finally have some vertical construction!

You can tell they're ready to haul some butt on construction with all those bents ready to be put up.

This is probably the attraction that will bring me back to SFMM for the first time since 1997, and I know I'll appreciate all the quality ride experience the gigantic slab foundation/footer premise will provide... BUT... I also consider some nature under my wooden coaster to be part of the pleasant experience... such as this image of Robin Hood. I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I'd like to know the technological advantage GCI finds to making a non-parking lot portion of a park into a parking lot prior to vertical construction of said coaster masterpiece. If the idea of "wide" in place of "deep" is considered a better control, I have to wonder if an earthquake zone is the proper environment... I guess it'll be easier to see the damage after a quake...

I think the slab helps prevent the ride from turning into Psyclone. From what I understand, that ride was pretty badly damaged from a combination of the Northridge Quake and bad soil under the ride which allowed the foundations to shift around and the structure to fall out of alignment (and as far as I know you really can't do anything once that happens). The slab should, at the very least, stop the latter from happening as the ride settles.

I must admit, I don't follow all the details of the construction of our favorite rides, but I think Troyalso had this slab approach to a foundation. I know, much of the Netherlands is a dehydrated swamp. And a slab that's reinforced with much rebar is wise protection against shifting soil due to either quake or bog. Did Renegade have similar beginnings?