TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having one large concrete slab footer DOES take time off of construction, planning, and engineering. Image having to place a lot of squares for each and every footer around a site rather than just pouring the whole damn thing with concrete. Also, I'm assuming while designing the ride they don't have to worry as much about where a footer is placed because the whole thing will be concrete. And it's not like this is a terrain coaster like Thunderhead.

Maybe they will have giant Terminator robots stuck in the concrete slab by the first drop...who knows?

Or they might have inflatable Rock'em Sock'em Terminator robots as an upcharge. Only time will tell!

Jimmy "Not sad about Deja Vu being closed" Bo

wow I gotta check this stuff more often, I had no idea SFMM was already implementing q-bot. While I was on the fence about getting a pass next year, I'm definitely going to be getting one now. Maybe this has already been posted but how does this work with the extreme passes now? How has it been working at other SF parks?

OH NOES!!1! TEH ONLEE OPPERAYTING DAYJA VOO IN TEH HOEL WRLD ISNT OPPERAYTING!!1!

Eh, whatever. It would be nice if it were rethemed/repainted to fit in with the Terminator theme in some way, as would the entire area. Somehow the "Cyclone Bay" theme just won't fit anymore.

Glad to see it coming along. I have a feeling that this will be worth the wait.

Eric

^ Still called Cyclone Bay as of my last visit (last month). For whatever reason, I think that'll change.

But we will never see the Spillikin name again. That was under the pre-Six Flags ownership. Their idea of a craft village was a good one, but unfortunately, the crafts just slowly died out over time.

Eric

But we will never see the Spillikin name again. That was under the pre-Six Flags ownership. Their idea of a craft village was a good one, but unfortunately, the crafts just slowly died out over time.

Eric

I figured the Spillikin name wouldn't end up returning, as it has not been around in a very long time. I only ever referred to the area as Spillikin corner because that's what my parents called it when I was a little kid.

I really hope this coaster breaths some much needed life into that part of the park!

Is the park still referring to that back area as Cyclone Bay, or has it reverted back to Spillikin (is my spelling right?) corner?

I hope they change that areas name, re-paint and and re-theme Deja-Vu in the sort of fashion that they did to Mind Bender and the new Gotham City area when they introduced Batman the ride at Six Flags over Georgia. I'm getting all excited just thinking of the possibilities, but I'll hold off on my enthusiasm until I know just what to expect.

Having one large concrete slab footer DOES take time off of construction, planning, and engineering. Image having to place a lot of squares for each and every footer around a site rather than just pouring the whole damn thing with concrete. Also, I'm assuming while designing the ride they don't have to worry as much about where a footer is placed because the whole thing will be concrete. And it's not like this is a terrain coaster like Thunderhead.

Or could it be more "earthquake" proof to have one large footer? Perhaps a way to avoid the Psyclone disaster again?

Yeah, we'll have an update on the 6th. We were going to go sometime over the long weekend last week, but we heard that nothing was really going on and we didn't feel like dealing with the crowds.

Thanks for the info, and I believe you on the crowd thing... I went to Knott's this past Friday and man was it packed! I could imagine how SFMM gets...

I was at SFMM last Friday (day after Thanksgiving) and the crowds weren't too bad. We did wait a 75 minutes for X2, then it broke down and we gave it another 45 before calling it quits.

At one point, we went up in the tower and looked down on the Terminator construction site. Nothing new that we could see.

Eric

^ The psyclone usedto be awesome way back when, I remember really liking it when I was like seven and then I went to SFMM when I was like thirteen and got totally owned by the roughness. Especially because my ride when I was 7 was in the back, so trying to replicate it nearly killed me.

I think the benefit of the single large slab has to do with the quality of the soil beneath the ride. If I remember correctly, Psyclone (and shockwave when it was there, for that matter) suffered from shifting soil under the ride that caused it to sink uneavenly. When weight is concentrated on individual footers, the weight of the entire ride is being placed on a number of small points (footers can also be poored deaper in hopes of hitting more solid ground, and also increases surface area of the footer). By pooring a large footer, they are probably spreading out the force of the weight of the coaster on a larger area and allowing it to "float" on the soft soil. This should allow it to hold up better over a longer period of time than past coasters in the area.

I think the benefit of the single large slab has to do with the quality of the soil beneath the ride. If I remember correctly, Psyclone (and shockwave when it was there, for that matter) suffered from shifting soil under the ride that caused it to sink uneavenly.

URBAN LEGEND!!!! NEITHER RIDE WERE EVER SINKING!!!