TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being labeled negative: "Terminator" is a great name; "Terminator: The Coaster" is a Japanese name.

Seriously, this might be a great ride, but it's all wrong, theming-wise. I mean, a 20's-style wooden coaster themed to robots? WTF?

They're just trying to top this year's 20s-style wooden coaster themed to a motorcycle daredevil...

And while the coaster at Silverwood, are not as bad as the Southwestern Southern Pine wood coasters. Northern Idaho is not considered a desert/arid climate.

Sorry you said "southern yellow pine has NO BUSINESS being west of the mississippi" and Silverwood is west of the Mississippi.

--Robb

Glad to see it's finally official, while having 5 air time hills is a bit disapointing. Personally, I think it will be a great family ride, but nothing a "thrill seeker" would travel for. I expected more to be honest, but a new coaster is always welcome.

At the risk of being labeled negative: "Terminator" is a great name; "Terminator: The Coaster" is a Japanese name.

Seriously, this might be a great ride, but it's all wrong, theming-wise. I mean, a 20's-style wooden coaster themed to robots? WTF?

They're just trying to top this year's 20s-style wooden coaster themed to a motorcycle daredevil...

Plus, "Goliath" was already taken.

Glad to see it's finally official, while having 5 air time hills is a bit disapointing. Personally, I think it will be a great family ride, but nothing a "thrill seeker" would travel for. I expected more to be honest, but a new coaster is always welcome.

lol, can we ride it first before we decide that it sucks?

It will probably have plenty of airtime, and low to the ground turns can be just as exciting anyway.

A lot of people seem to be saying it looks like the baby of Kentucky Rumbler and Ozark Wildcat. Should be a fun family ride, which looks to be the goal of Jay Thomas and crew. SFMM has enough big, stat obsessed thrill rides. What they needed was a solid wooden coaster that familes can ride together. Now I hope we get some flats.

As for the Terminator theme, it doesn't really bother me.

I though they went a little out there to theme a coaster to Evel Knievel. Then this turns up.

Regardless of the theme, though, this looks like a solid, fun ride. I've never been on a GCI myself, so I can't speak from experience. However, I've heard nothing bad about their rides, and this just looks like another excellent installation. Now if only the theme wasn't so far out there...

You know what? Good.

Good there's yet another new coaster to ride for 2009.

Good that it'll likely have Millenium Flyer trains.

Good that it's carrying on a grand tradition of entertainment and craftsmanship.

Good that our friends at Magic Mountain are getting another coaster and keep improving the park.

RIP Psyclone.

I "keed"! As nice as it is to be getting another woodie (lol), there are a few things about the layout I don't like. Particularly the first drop. Most good drops are straight, and the only variable should be the degree of steepness. Twisty drops are less thrilling, generally...am I right?

I realize the ride name is emblematic of Shapiro's whole advertising synergy strategy... but seriously. SERIOUSLY.

One one hand, we have the Cedar Fair "Roller Coaster Number 1" naming philosophy, and on the other, we have the Six Flags "Completely Unrelated but Marketable Brand Name: The Ride." It makes me long for Six Flags' attempts at Busch-style naming with Kingda Ka and Tatsu.

But whatever... new ride, right? That's what counts. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of GCI rides, but people seem to love 'em. I fully suspect that 90% of the people in line for this ride will believe it's a rebuilt Psyclone, or that it is simply Psyclone renamed.

I fully suspect that 90% of the people in line for this ride will believe it's a rebuilt Psyclone, or that it is simply Psyclone renamed.

Same.

I almost think that if they want to get the message across VERY clearly that this is totally new ride, they almost need to have a marketing campaign similar to what Jack In The Box did in 1980 when they BLEW UP the clown in an effort to make customers aware that this was a NEW Jack In The Box:

Imagine a commercial when Psyclone gets destroyed aka "Terminated" and a new coaster rises out of the ashes...

If they want to get the message across that this is REALLY "All New" and not just another X2 makeover, I think this is something they should consider.

--Robb

Ride looks really fun, but I think the name is stupid. If they wanted to just call it Terminator and not have it associated with the franchise, fine, but I hate all of the corporate partnerships and marketing reach-arounds. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the Terminator movies as much as anybody, but let's face it, rides that are associated with movies eventually lose their branding (i.e. - Top Gun, Drop Zone, etc.) and have to be re-themed or eventually start looking kitschy and outdated (even the great Batman: The Ride franchise is looking somewhat kitschy at this point - especially with the completely different styling of the new Batman movies like Dark Knight).

Anyways, all that aside, I can't wait for this ride. SoCal is in serious need of new wooden coasters and this one looks like it will definitely be a great addition to the park. \m/

Ride looks really fun, but I think the name is stupid. If they wanted to just call it Terminator and not have it associated with the franchise, fine, but I hate all of the corporate partnerships and marketing reach-arounds. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the Terminator movies as much as anybody, but let's face it, rides that are associated with movies eventually lose their branding (i.e. - Top Gun, Drop Zone, etc.) and have to be re-themed or eventually start looking kitschy and outdated (even the great Batman: The Ride franchise is looking somewhat kitschy at this point - especially with the completely different styling of the new Batman movies like Dark Knight).

Anyways, all that aside, I can't wait for this ride. SoCal is in serious need of new wooden coasters and this one looks like it will definitely be a great addition to the park. \m/

why are they gonna have a "terminator" coaster THAT IS WOODEN!? aren't the terminators made out of STEEL!?!? IMO this is really and honestly more retarded than when Peter Griffin forgot how to sit down! (yeah)

has anyone mentioned that it doesn't make sense to have a wooden coaster themed to terminator i don't think anyone has mentioned this once so far seriously have you thought about it it's a terminator coaster but its wood whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

RIP Psyclone.

I "keed"! As nice as it is to be getting another woodie (lol), there are a few things about the layout I don't like. Particularly the first drop. Most good drops are straight, and the only variable should be the degree of steepness. Twisty drops are less thrilling, generally...am I right?

The drop looks extremely similar to the one on Kentucky Rumbler which is one of my favorite drops ever. It isn't intense but it works really well with the rest of the layout and is very fun in any seat on the train. I think you'll be surprised when you ride it.

I, like others, don't care for the theme, but the ride's layout looks amazing from what I could see in the video. It seems very dynamic and looks like it flows really well. IMO looks like GCI's best installation this year and one of their best rides overall. If Rumbler is anything to go one, you guys will be very happy with this.

Let's see...

I love the Terminator Series... CHECK

I love wooden coasters... CHECK

I love GCI... CHECK

I don't see how this could be a bad thing at all. I just hope they theme it well. There is nothing worse than SF half theming something.

I do however feel that the Evel Knievel name missed a prime opportunity to be a moto-coaster, but quickly forgave them after I rode it!

why are they gonna have a "terminator" coaster THAT IS WOODEN!? aren't the terminators made out of STEEL!?!? IMO this is really and honestly more retarded than when Peter Griffin forgot how to sit down! (yeah)

Yeah I forgot to mention that, as well. Terminator does not = wood. OK maybe if giant robots were smashing THROUGH the wood, but as a structure for a ride called Terminator? Not so much.

I fully suspect that 90% of the people in line for this ride will believe it's a rebuilt Psyclone, or that it is simply Psyclone renamed.

I was on the opening crew for GhostRider (you know, when it was really, really good). One day, at Greeter, I asked a woman who was waiting why she wasn't riding with the rest of her family. Her answer was that she's already ridden it at Magic Mountain and hadn't liked it.

So there you go.

has anyone mentioned that it doesn't make sense to have a wooden coaster themed to terminator i don't think anyone has mentioned this once so far seriously have you thought about it it's a terminator coaster but its wood whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

^ above you!

sarcasm

sar·casm [sahr-kaz-uhm] .

1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.

2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

I almost think that if they want to get the message across VERY clearly that this is totally new ride, they almost need to have a marketing campaign similar to what Jack In The Box did in 1980 when they BLEW UP the clown in an effort to make customers aware that this was a NEW Jack In The Box:

Imagine a commercial when Psyclone gets destroyed aka "Terminated" and a new coaster rises out of the ashes...

If they want to get the message across that this is REALLY "All New" and not just another X2 makeover, I think this is something they should consider.

--Robb

Jack in the box: The Ride. Mmmmm.

Even the "Fly-by" could be themed to the drive through window. Okay, to be Elissa-friendly, I'm calling for the first Mickey D's themed coaster asap.