TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Engineering Thrills

There is a new show on Discovery Channel called Engineering Thrills. It only features four rides, but it goes in depth in to how the ride was made and the technical aspects. The rides featured are Fahrenheit, Niagara's Fury, X2, and Toy Story Mania.

The show premiered at 8 P.M. EST, but you can watch it again at midnight tonight, at 8 P.M. on the 25th or at midnight on the 26.

So far, the show is pretty good, and it is nice to see a show that seems to have been made just for enthusiasts. The Niagara's Fury took up a large part, probably close to 30 minutes, but they went more in depth from how it went from concept to being a working ride.

Discovery

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, a pretty decent show....

* I have not been on the Toy Story ride, but have to admit, it looks pretty impressive after seeing this show! Like riding Sonic the Hedgehog - Disney Style!

* The Fahrenheit segment was nice, especially having been on it over the summer. This was a great coaster addition for Hershey to compliment Storm Runner. Not sure about the idea of them adding music at the brake run for added "euphoric" feelings. It would be too hard to put something like that at the end of the ride when a lot of people would be going, "WTF was that?" or "how lame."

*Never got on X when I was at SFMM, but it was interesting to see how the ride was transformed into X2. It seemed like some of the seats looked a little herky-jerky, but that could have been the angle of the video. The fire looked like an interesting element, but I could probably live without the on-board music. Still wouldn't be worth the four wait that they had posted when I was there two years ago.

* Niagara's Fury was a disappointment. I thought that the ride/movie/ whatever was over way too fast and I kinda sorta thought that you might actually get a virtual ride over the Falls. This show sorta explained why it was high risk to even get as close to the Falls with the helicopter and cameras as they did, but they played it up to be one of these really amazing innovations and I just didn't see it as that. The snow/rain/water effects were nice, but for $7 million dollars, I guess that I was just expecting a bit more from this new attraction.

It seemed like some of the seats looked a little herky-jerky, but that could have been the angle of the video.

Its not the video; X2 really is "herky-jerky". We have Arrow's poor engineering and manufacturing to thank for that.

I watched the show as well, and I can honestly say I wasn't too impressed. Like every other thrill ride related show, it revolves around the park director or whomever trying to make their ride look like the greatest thing on earth when we clearly know it isn't. Another thing irks me, they never mention the companies who manufactured the featured rides. How can you talk about X2 or Fahrenheit and not mention Arrow or Intamin, even when it's clearly appropriate to do so?

I was really tired and I passed out during the Fahrenheit segment. I'm going to watch the rest tonight. I love ANY coaster special, and it was cool to see one featuring new rides instead of the usual "OMG hydraulic launch!" footage.

Sunday I'm going to try to get on X2 for the first time, so this should whet my appetite.

It seemed like some of the seats looked a little herky-jerky, but that could have been the angle of the video.

Its not the video; X2 really is "herky-jerky". We have Arrow's poor engineering and manufacturing to thank for that.

Arrow had nothing to do with X2's new trains. Sure, S&S bought out Arrow, but the comparison is negligible, IMO.

Has the problem been fixed, or do the seats still wobble like in the video? Does it make the ride rough?

I remember thinking X2 was going to be really smooth with the new 20% lighter trains. I then remember riding it and thinking it was jerkier than I expected, but it wasn't painful and it was still a lot of fun. The fire comes out of no where and it's so hot you don't know what's happening and you start to cry a little. It adds intensity to an already viciously intense ride. So glad its at SFMM!

Anyway back to the show. I've always loved roller coaster docs, though I realized early on that they were just paid advertisements. Niagara's Fury dominated most of this advertisement, and unfortunately, the ride looks like it needs all the publicity it can get. Who would want to see some air conditioned circlevision about Niagara falls when the freakin' falls are right outside. They are one of the natural wonders of the world, look at the damn things, they're down right majestic. And the air is misty and cold, just like in Niagara's Fury! Oooh but the circlevision uses digital cameras to make a seamless circle of Fury! Nature cannot compete with the beauty of circlevision!

It reminds me of the idiots who thought up DCA...

Has the problem been fixed, or do the seats still wobble like in the video? Does it make the ride rough?

The seats do not wobble like it in the video. I remember back in the SFMM forum during WCB it was stated that they were still making adjustments to the trains during testing. I believe that this was also before the on board audio was installed.

John