TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disturbing video of PNE Playland Coaster daredevil

Has anyone else posted this? If so, sorry ... but I thought others should see it.

I can only imagine what will happen to the restraints on Coaster's wonderful Carl Phare trains if this guy does it again (or someone copycats) and gets mulched into ground chuck beneath those flanged wheels.

The park "seems" to be closed (or dead) that day, so I'm wondering if this is a Playland employee. Notice how he releases the restraints during the lift ascent on his car and the one in front. He knew exactly what he was doing ...

I don't like seeing good coasters get bad reps from losers like this.

-Scott

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the video several times, it's a park employee. Otherwise there would be people on the ride and no cameras.

It is possible to open the restraints mid ride, there's something on the side of the train to pull.

Plus, I've heard many stories of employees riding with the lap bar up. The bar isn't actually there to keep you in, but rather to prevent standing up.

But yeah, once again, it's an employee taping an employee.

Crazy idiot right there.

I hope this doesn't cause the PNE to change the restraints, minimal restraints own.

Nothing will be changed, this video is not new, and probably has been brought to their attention. I've heard of many employees riding with the safety bar unlocked, so honestly, I don't think they'll care all that much.

I wonder how much "airtime" he'd get on this coaster if things didn't work out as they planned...

But I was reading through the comments on the video, and whoever posted it up said that the safety is always on, and that it would be impossible for anyone to copy them. Even if this is true, it still dosen't keep him safe from being a complete idiot.

Crazy idiot right there.

I hope this doesn't cause the PNE to change the restraints, minimal restraints own.

Nothing will be changed, this video is not new, and probably has been brought to their attention. I've heard of many employees riding with the safety bar unlocked, so honestly, I don't think they'll care all that much.

Actually, they (park officials) care VERY much. It would be irresponsible for them not to. In fact, I just received a note from Playland's Laura Balance about this very subject. Part of the text is here:

"Yes, I agree its really unfortunate. The video is many years old - but sadly continues to live on YouTube. I submitted requests to have the video pulled in the past as a safety concern, without success."

She says the video is an older one, despite that it was only posted on YouTube just 11 months ago. In any case, if this guy gets his deathwish I hope he bites the dust somewhere OTHER than Playland.

This guy probably thinks he's badass too... lol...

Moose, I'm a native Rhode Islander and my dad told me that same story when I was a kid. My first roller coaster ever was Lincoln Park's Comet Jr. but before I was tall enough to ride the Comet, it was left to rot for decades.

It's not nearly shocking as the Kennywood employees greasing the rails on Thunderbolt.

What do they do that is so shocking?

They stand upright leaning over the front of the train, with their knees tucked in between the lap bar. That's how they greased the rails.

Or at least that's how they used to do it. Probably not so much anymore. They show this in one of the Kennywood DVDs.

I've heard some stories that back in the day at Carowinds, the employees use to do this on Thunder Road (when it had the Riverview Jetstream trains). They had competitions to see who could get from the back of the train to the front the fastest, while racing the two tracks.

Coaster is an airtime machine and one of my Top 5 woodies...I can't believe this guy didn't get thrown from the train!

I'm a daredevil myself but I hate seeing people break the rules on coasters. If something happens, then the GP assumes coasters are dangerous.

That ride does look like a lot of fun. I have family in Vancouver, so now I have a reason to go up there sometime.

I don't understand why YouTube won't pull the video. There are a few that I've wanted to watch another time, only to click the link and get a message saying that the video was removed. So it can be done...somehow...

But, as for what these morons have proved, as long as there are humans, there will be plenty of stupid to go around.

Eric

I don't really see what's so bad about it. I guess it will promote copycats, but if these really are park employees that do it, then I don't see it as that bad. I mean that these people know the ride more than anyone, and from what it looked like, he knew that this one turn is the only part of the ride where it's calm enough to do it.

But yes I do agree, they never should have taped it and never should have put it on youtube or any internet source. Things like this should just be like their little secret.

^No one should be doing that period. That is the way to get hurt or killed. Posting it on youtube is just about as moronic as you can get. It just screams to teenagers, I can do this so can you!

I don't condone any of this behavior, none of us should.