TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasters at Night

I like rides during the day to see the layout, but otherwise generally prefer them at night. I really liked Top Thrill Dragster at night, El Toro, and my gem at my home park, Ride of Steel, at Darien Lake. Thunderhead was great too. As far as best night ride though, I'd say Boulder Dash. Throw in some rain too. One of the best coaster experiences of all time.

-Nick

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides Beast, I'd have to say my Top 5 are X2, Terminator, Roar, Millennium Force, and Maverick.

I really would have liked to ride Holiday World's woodies at night, but the park closed early the day I went. Same with Kennywood, except that was because I had limited time at the park.

My favorite ride that improves as the day goes on is Expedition GeForce.

I rode it at opening, the first time i visited, & liked it alot.

But I didn't really get why so many people would rank it No.1 over say Goliath at Walibi.

But as the day got on, the airtime increased & i understood exactly why.

That's good to know, I'll be doing GeForce for the first time this year and Walibi Goliath too.

The most dramatic difference I have experienced was Vortex at CW, I'm at a loss to explain why there was such a huge difference.

I don't think Mean Streak get better at night, and Beast was visually impressive at night but was still brutal.

I thought Maverick was absolutely insane at night. I think it was mostly the unpredictability of the ride when you can't see very far in the dark, rather than it actually getting better through the day, but it was awesome!

Boulder Dash was also amazing at night, one of the craziest rides I've ever had on a coaster. It felt easily 10 mph faster than it had in the morning (I'm sure it wasn't really that fast though). I wanted to put my hands up but it was too brutal and somehow still totally fun. I was actually sore the next day!

I also thought Expedition Everest and Bizzaro SFNE were even better at night.

Reading alot about the Beast being rougher nowadays.

Its location makes for a nice ride at night.

But it seems the ride itself gets no better as the day goes on.

Unlike many of the other woodies listed here.

Poor Beast. That was the coaster i saw in the school encyclopedias back in the 80's & imagined travelling & riding it & other coasters one day & i did finally ride it in 2004.

It sounds like i may get a completely different ride this year.

On the otherhand the many mentions of Boulder Dash & Bizarro have me very excited.

My faves are all 3 of DW's major coasters. Have ridden Thunderhead several times in pitch black(just recently again in Nov.) and those rides are insane in the dark. You can't see anything. Also Mystery Mine in the dark...that last drop you can't see the bottom and it looks like you are dropping into total darkness and you don't know when it will stop. Awesome. Then just in Nov again, I rode Tornado in the pitch black and that drop through the mountain is amazing!!!

I also like Goliath (SFOG)

Mindbender (SFOG)

Although not a coaster, the Crypt at KD is amazing at night with all the lasers and fire and fog...

^I've had the opportunity to ride Big Thunder at night, I loved the coaster already, but that night was insane.

I'm still regretting not getting a chance to ride Phantom's Revenge at night.

Wicked Twister was actually amazing at night, especially in the front seat of the last car, pure bliss (and coaster zen).

Maverick + Front Row + Rain + Night is amazing. Nothing more to add!!

Millennium Force is excellent at any time. Super amazing in the dark. The view out is great and the hight seems to be enhanced by the dark. The restraint was quite slack aswell so the first drop was just stunning in the front of the 9th car. It feels super fast in the day, let alone the speed at night. You feel free.

You know what coaster I enjoyed during night..... Grizzly! It was awesome! It scared the crap out of me when you come over the lift and all you see is darkness. Then the tunnel, totally forgetting it was there almost made me die. The sound of the train going through it made my heart drop to me feet. It was the best ride I have ever been on at night.

Oh yea that was the night we came from FreeStyle Music Park in the same day! Love those days!

Superman ROS at SFA!!! Since Supes is back in the cut, there are no lights. Its pitch black until the on-ride photo in the first helix, but after that bright flash your blinded for a couple seconds. Its sooo great!

I also like Wild One at night. You get to view all of the lights of the park from every angle. On Supes, all you see is like a mini view of the lights, but on Wild One, everything is closer.

Bizarro at SFNE, hands down. The transformation is only amazing when you ride it at night. At the top looking into the multi colored mist with the huge Bizarro figure that looks like its moving due to strobes is amazing. Then your covered in the red neon mist. Next its pitch black until you come to the buildings which change color and its disorienting. The shield tunnels are amazing at night because they can be any color and the mist with it is a very cool effect. Then going into the fire and not being able to see anything until the fire bursts out and its really bright, and amazingly hot. Then it goes back to pitch black until the second neon red filled tunnel. It is a very awesome ride at night.

When I was 12, I waited several hours after a long rainstorm for a final night ride on Alpengeist in the front seat. By that point the park was pretty cleared out and most attractions had closed (I was surprised they even re-opened Alpengeist with only about 20 minutes left before closing), so it was just the famous "B&M roar" coupled with darkness that made for a very memorable ride. Even more awesome is that my parents actually waited it out with me. They probably didn't realize how grateful I was, but let me tell you, I was probably one of the only 12-year-olds ever who thought her parents were supremely cool--well, at least for that night!

In general I prefer coaster riding at night. Darkness always makes the rides seem faster because it feels like you're hurtling and flying into the unknown, and that feeling of flying and unpredictability is one of my favorite elements of a ride. I'm a huge fan of Screamin' Eagle night rides at SFStl for those reasons--though the coaster itself isn't perfect, its trek into the woods makes for a great dark setting to help deliver a very good, out-of-control-feeling night ride.

~Megan

Terminator Salvation: The Ride must be experienced at night in the back row. In the dark, the ride feels a lot faster than it actually is and the fire effect is a lot more noticable. Add the intensity of the back seat and you get one of the best roller coaster rides ever. Definitely something I plan to do every time I visit Six Flags Magic Mountain.