TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasters at Night

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boulder Dash. That ride hauls, and not being able to see the hills and dips coming leads to quite the thrill. Honourable mention to Nitro, which for some reason just seems better at night.

I want to also give mention to Skyrush and Storm Runner. The first time I rode Skyrush was at night, and it was absolutely incredible. Storm Runner is also great. You don't see the flying snake dive coming and it knocks you silly.

Coaster at Playland was pretty freaky, when I finally got a chance to night-ride it, during our October Fright Nights

at the park. It had been so so long since I ever had the chance to ride it that way. During our annual PNE, they 'up' the

price for riding it it so much, along with the HUGE queues that occur during the fair... not worth it, even for a night ride.

Anyway, I did get to ride it in October and it was RELENTLESS, after the car dove into that straight-a-way before the

big fan curve, etc.

It was awesome.

IMG_8019.JPG.5b7825d7294e343cd1102ada48c53040.JPG

During the PNE - August, 2015.

The Raven and Voyage. The Raven is a completely different animal at night.

The Raven and The Beast are something completely different at day and night. The Raven in the back at night is one of my favorite coaster experiences, same as the front of The Beast at night.

In my opinion just about every coaster is better at night, but The Beast is by far the best night ride on any coaster ever. No other ride changes that much from daytime to nighttime.

While nothing can even come close to the Beast, honorable mentions go to Boulder Dash and Millennium Force.

I remember riding Hades at night in one of it's first few seasons (when it was still good) and that ride was insane at night. The tunnel under the parking lot is dark during the day but at night that thing feels like you are in a cave or something.

As it has already been said, most coasters are better at night. However there are some experiences that are more memorable than others, and I have to say that Big Thunder Mountain during Wishes is one of those.

(thanks to Robb for the picture)

IMG_2591.jpg.39459ad5fdd172eb79b036e3b7f219a5.jpg

Ravine Flyer II is a great ride by day, at night it transforms into one of the best coasters anywhere. The entire first half of the ride is in complete darkness. My favorite night feature being the high-speed tunnels that are ear-piercingly loud similar to The Beast. The second half is dimly lit by a few nearby attractions with the drop after the 90 degree bank being pitch black. I can thank Ravine Flyer II for making The Beast feel tame at night with all of it's trim brakes that still can't go unnoticed in the darkness.

A favorite steel coaster at night would be Maverick. An elite coaster by daytime, but the dimly lit tight turns come just a little more unexpected in the evening. Always a great rush to end a day at Cedar Point with a Maverick night ride.

As for my favorite night park overall, Hersheypark tops my list. You have the dim, twisted mess of Skyrush, Superdooperlooper, and Great Bear along with a decently dark ride on Storm Runner. On the other hand, you have some of the best-maintained classic displays of chaser lights on Lightning Racer and Wildcat.

I rode Ravine Flyer about five years ago, the park was open until 10 pm. One of the later rides included looking at the sun setting into the lake, half way submerged, from the top of the second hill. There are probably more spectacular views on other coasters but that was very nice, too.

Maverick, Millennium, Skyrush and Storm Runner were great night rides.

Tremors, Diamondback, Tatsu, Riddler, X2, Twisted Colossus, Toro, Bizarro-Medusa, Nitro, are also favorites.

Any big coaster at night with a full Moon is awesome, especially if it goes upside down while facing the Moon.

Is it weird that I haven't been on many coasters when its dark out? I usually go to parks on slow days when they close at like 7.

Recently I only went on Phoenix, Twister and Impulse in the dark, and they were all great!

Twister gives an absolutely insane night ride. Got my first night ride on that during PPP last year, only time I've ridden Twister and didn't hate myself for it afterwards.

All the coasters at Busch Gardens Tampa ride amazingly in the dark. Something about going through those pitch black moments really adds something to the experience. Kumba's tunnel, Sheikra's underground moment after drop two. Cheetah Hunt's canyon section. Great for night riding.

Raven, Voyage, Thunderbird are all great at night. Legend at night was painful, but it probably wouldn't be if I were more familiar with the layout.

Screamin Eagle and Prowler are both great at night also.

But the best night ride of them all goes to Powder Keg. SDC isn't normally open at night, but for 2 precious weeks at the end of summer, it is. The park is very dark because they don't have very many path lights (not much use installing them if they're never used), so it's DARK. Powder Keg's Pyro effect goes off behind you, and it's really effective at night. You see the flash, you feel the heat, and you feel the acceleration. Everyone should experience a night ride on Powder Keg.

I recently rode X2 at SFMM at night. The first drop and turn around were even better at night!! I also liked riding the Matterhorn at Disneyland during the nightly fireworks show. Makes it feel like the abominable snowman is firing cannons at you as you go in and out of the mountain!

If I haven't said this already.... OUT... LAW... RUN.

Seriously. Outlaw Run provides an amazing night ride. Especially if you are in the front row. When you crest the drop all you can see below you is pitch black dark. About 99% of the you can see absolutely nothing. It gives you this really crazy out of control feel. It is amazing. I don't think any other coaster can compare.

After leaving the lift hill, and cresting the first drop this is what you see on Outlaw Run at night, until you are coming back into the brake run: