TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasters at Night

^If the temperature and wind is just right, the fog from CornStalkers will fill the Maverick area up.

But my favorite night rides are:

Magnum - I always get a few rides in while the fireworks are going on July 4th. There is never a line and it's always a great view.

Shivering Timbers - There are no lights except for the lift and the turnaround, the rest is way dark.

The Beast - This is a great ride ONLY at night. During the day it's alright, but at night after it's warmed up and especially if you are not familiar with the layout, it is amazing. My first night ride was at Fall Freak Out in 2004. It was on my 18th birthday and my mom got me an ACE membership and that event as a present. Night ERT on The Beast, 12am-1:30am, October, snowing. That was so cold.

Fly the Great Nor'Easter was cool at night, with all the strobes and what nots. The whole pier was cool at night.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably one of the most memorable coaster night rides was my first night ride on Millennium Force - I had ridden it a few times during the day but I rode in the front at night (this was later in the year when the bugs weren't so bad) and I was actually creeped out by the sensation of the train disappearing into blackness as it ascended the lift hill. It looked like we were heading into nothingness due to the dark color of the track blending into the night sky. The rest of the ride itself was equally awesome, as of course most coasters feel like they are faster at night.

I also found the Beast to be better at night, and the Voyage at night (this is one coaster where you don't want to take your first ever ride after dark!) was insane. Grizzly at KD is also better at night (though the one ride where I was riding with this guy who had never ridden it before wasn't so fun - he couldn't see where he was going and he ended up elbowing me in the head on one of the turns!).

I-305 is best at night as well, and this also is a coaster you don't want to ride your first time at night! Also enjoyed my first ride on Skyrush at night (luckily the track is a light enough color you can still see it at night!).

Boulder Dash at night tops my list for favorite night rides. Thundering through woods along a mountain side in complete darkness is pure awesomeness that I'm anxious to enjoy again. Some other's that came to mind were Apollo's Chariot at BGW and the Beast at KI both for their great night rides out into darkness. Then I305 for the drop into pitch dark has to be experienced as well.

Edited by SuperShawn

Yes I305 is awesome at night. Especially if you ride it during Halloween Haunt, you look to the right going up the lift and the whole park is surrounded by fog. Rebel Yell, Anaconda, and Grizzly are also a few good rides at night. Also any roller coaster at BGW is amazing to ride at night. My most memorable night ride would be the Big Bad Wolf during Howl-O-Scream 2005. I loved how the only lights were the candles in the windows of the village. I don't think there was any lights near the last drop, can't really remember. Wish the ride was still there.

I think almost every coaster is better at night. The only exception to this I can think of is Wild Eagle at Dollywood. The view of the mountains is a core part of the ride, missed at night. Also, they have multiple strobe lights to take pictures (at different points along the track), one is more than enough.

Just wondering, does anyone think coasters are better at night because its cooler out at that time and therefore less trims?... With all the people saying i305 (ride that's has a lot of trims added) I'm guessing that's why?

I305 doesn't have trims until the end of the ride. I think it's better at night because you can barely even see anything when on it. The speed of the ride with the fact that it's dark just makes it OMG amazing. Add hard rain/downpour to that and holy crap there is nothing else like it.

I305 is definitely my favorite night ride, especially during the Haunt. The intensity and speed is incredible.

Verbolten gets a prize for having the biggest contrast between daytime and night rides. At night, everything just flows so much better between the outdoor and indoor sections, and of course it feels faster. My favorite ride on it was at night during Christmas Town with the trees lit up across the Rhine River from the drop.

The Beast and Adventure Express at Kings Island.

Adventure Express, especially. The difference between night and day is astonishing. What is almost boring in light becomes a near thrill at night. Actually, you do get some nice views during the day. You used to get SOB, and now you can get some excellent construction project updates. And next year we'll have Banshee views. But seriously, night makes the ride better even without the views.

Road Phantom's revenge last night at KennyCon and that is one hell of a night ride!

I completely forgot how great Phantom's night rides were the last time I was there! Phantom's Revenge is highly underrated. It's a good coaster during the day, and one of my favorite steelies at night!

I remember riding Tomahawk at PortAventura in the dark, I was absolutely blown away by the difference. During the day it's obviously a really fun kiddie ride, but in the evening it was a totally different experience. Would love to visit PortAventura again one day, until today I didn't realized that they opened a new coaster in 2012! Just shows out out of touch I am...