TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

Depends on the staff and croud. I am sure the staff and Liseberg are doing their best but Helix is a high tech coaster and first of it's kind at least in northern europe. I don't know the reason they took one of the trains to storage at opening, but i guess it was one of the new trains. From what i've heard the lines has been shorter and Helix has been running better this weekend. The hype is over and now i guess Helix will actually be mentioned as the awesome coaster it is instead of all these high expectations wich it lived up to but in different ways than i expected. The scandi tour will be a nice treat for all u guys that live abroad. Balder, Lisebergbanan and Helix ERT... A dream come true! Would actually trade sex for that!

Good to hear! Liseberg is really a nice park. Not a good place to work, trust me but still a world class park! Andreas hasn't been in charge for very long but during his time the park really has been doing some true stepping up! I am sure we will see some very big things coming the next few years and since he said "we have something for 2016 so bring it on" to Kolmården we will see a blooming in the amusement industry in sweden the comming years... I am lucky to have the U.S as my second home, cedar fair parks style... But Europe is stepping up and i guess that's due to the economy... Especially sweden..

Promised to return with some pics from the opening day. However, I realised that these where neither that many or particulary original. Anyway, here they are as promised.

20140426_104259.thumb.jpg.3c4b12c1aa3f3eb4e529766fbb0eb551.jpg

A pic from the bottom of the hill, at the start of the escalators.

20140426_104952.thumb.jpg.9fdd2aab4710c4420ef6ed8d9e6e0850.jpg

The wall in the lobby where media-people and blog-winners could sign our names. This will later be made permanent.

20140426_110745.thumb.jpg.079f8b25a8753f7c6a0c9e9f6538a9f5.jpg

A pic of Fingal, who is in charge of Helix, demonstrating the "garage".

20140426_111630.thumb.jpg.a6e6fa5ad8bf2dbbc7196b63a0d4300a.jpg

From the control room. Liseberg was especially proud of its chair with controls on each side of the chair, instead of having them as a panel.

Just got back from Liseberg, and thought I'd read some more on Helix, see what other people thought, and I found this excellent site

So I figured I'd give some impressions on Helix myself. First, a quick background, I've been living in Gothenburg all my life, and last 2 years, I've lived within screaming-range of AtmosFear, but I haven't been on any rides since after Uppskjutet was launched in 1996-ish.

Anyway, first ride we got on today was of course Helix, 1 hour queue it said, but we got there in 40 minutes, (they're probably still "learning" the queue-times, since when it said 40 minutes, it took 20, and the last ride said 30 minutes and it also took 20). First impression, that I haven't seen mentioned at all in this thread so far, the queue soundtrack. Holy crap, we got into the queue when it was in an ominous part of the soundtrack, and with the décor and the twisty stairs and maze like design, boy was I pumped right away. Soundtrack is done by IMAscore and I wish they release the full 100 minute one, samplers of 30 and 20 minutes available here:

So back to the queue, I really loved the design with the twists, as it really helped make the queue time feel shorter, as you don't see the full queue all at once, which could've been quite jarring. So up to the launch platform, and again, awesome launch-soundtrack. Counting the seats, there seemed to be at least 4 seats free on each train that went, some doubles even, it'll probably get better, but question is if isn't faster to just launch the trains with those seats empty, as we Swedes are quite shy and it might take longer to find 2 people willing to jump ahead than to just launch the trains as is.

First ride was in the front-mid part of the train, and it felt bonkers with the airtime, almost cramped my legs, I was holding on so tight . Second run was back part, and third run was all the way in the back, and I'm not sure if I got used to the airtime or if it just wasn't as big in the back. But back-runs were the two best imo, the launch out of the platform is really thrilling, as you get a great speed-boost before even exiting the station. There's one portion about midway through, before second launch that has very high G's, couldn't keep my hands up in the air first time we hit that. All in all, a helluva ride, really happy there's a longer thrill-ride at Liseberg, will probably get me to visit it much more often now.

Did a few other rides while there also, Kanonen, which had a great launch and first drop, but other than that quite forgettable, as I felt I got all it had to offer from Helix, with 4 times the ride time as well. Balder, my first wooden-coaster, first drop scared the hell out of me, and the track up to the top, that gave a great view of the freeway really added to the height of the ride, will probably be this and Helix that get ride times from me. Also went on a ride on Lisebergsbanan which was a favorite as a kid, great for nostalgia, but with Helix there now, it really feels like it's going to run pretty empty, when we got on, there was no queue and they were in the process of removing one of the trains from the track even.

Well those are my impressions, looking forward to reading what you North Americans think of, and how it holds up against your crazy rides.

Oh, also thought I'd add this, Gothenburg University has a page up about Helix, with some data, and a G-force and speed plot:

http://physics.gu.se/LISEBERG/helix/

/P

^ It looked massive indeed, but I'm actually glad that they scrapped the idea. As Liseberg realised, the mega coaster did not at all utilize the topography and the terrain in a good way. It would also create a djungle of supporting pillars that would ruin the scenery. I think Helix will blend in extremely well with the environment when the planted trees get going

^ It looked massive indeed, but I'm actually glad that they scrapped the idea. As Liseberg realised, the mega coaster did not at all utilize the topography and the terrain in a good way. It would also create a djungle of supporting pillars that would ruin the scenery. I think Helix will blend in extremely well with the environment when the planted trees get going

I agree, it surely looked imposing but this fits the are a lot more nicely (and that also makes the ride even better)

I really like the photo lond. Beautiful!

Another video showing the première of Helix. Werner Stengel give his opinion after riding it.

Helix with Oculus Rift

From the Oculus Rift event at Liseberg. The video is hidden but can be seen here: