TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

Amazing pictures Loefet! Its really funny that you actually managed to get a pic of me during the first launch! Its me in blue shirt with my arms in the air in the first car on the "Bzzzz" picture!

Helix is really majestic when you stand close to it. I can just stand and stare at it for hours. Ofcourse I managed to get a seat with Helix-view when I had some food

As said above, Lisebergbanan and Balder were in great shape. Especially Lisebergbanan which I have found a bit slow the previous two years. Yesterday however, it was brilliant. Also managed to get a ride in the last train of the day on it. Does someone know if it always have had headlights? I can't remember seeing them before.

It's hydraulic like most other systems today. Though the forces don't tighten it that much, just the insane stapling.

A tip to avoid the discomfort is to slide forward in the seat a tiny bit (an inch or two) when they come to tighten (read bone crushing stapling) the restraints for you, and when it's time to ride just slide back again. Then you get a great ride without the discomfort of a too tight restraint.

Dear TPR Forum,

First of all - thank you for all the great comments and pictures we got over the last couple of days. That's exactly what we are looking forward to when we design our rides. The pictures of the ride look awesome and we hope that many more of you will have the chance to ride Helix this season.

Nevertheless we have to react on the post quoted:

With great disturbance we read the post of Loefet, where he complains of the operation and gives tips to avoid the proper use of the lap bars at Helix.

We are very upset by this posting, as it is our intention to build the most safe amusement rides and came up with a lot of ideas how to get the feeling of more freedom for the upper body. With the seats of our Launch, MegaCoasters and now with the Inverted Powered Coaster we got a great feedback from all riders. With the lap bar comes the only safety device that the riders have to rely on. So why would you try to take this high risk? It’s for your safety to sit back and close the safety bar as far as you possibly can. Any other behavior is ignorant and stupid.

One last tip: If you would like to experience even more airtime go skydiving – but even there you better check the belts of the parachute and tighten them correctly.

^I don't think his intention is to avoid properly using the restraints. His post is regarding the ride operators that apply unnecessary force when securing the restraint. A couple inches of give would (or at least should) really never be enough to put the safety of the rider in jeopardy. I do, however, agree that it is wrong for him to promote doing this in the case that someone does not realize exactly what he means.

Edit: I guess I was speaking for myself sort of since im smaller to begin with but I can see where people of different body types might be at a high risk in trying to get extra space with the restraint.

I don't want to spur some kind of debate, but I would side with Mack on this after riding Helix a couple of times. The lap bar is the only restraint and you as a rider does not have any contact with the floor of the car due to the height of the seat. Hence, your body is subject to all kinds of forces (which is nice ofcourse). But even me having an "average" body felt that I really wanted the lap bar tight due to the numerous inversions, at least if your ride with your hands in the air. Also, the height restriction is 130 cm, so I can imagine it is better to be safe with little kids riding as well.

With great disturbance we read the post of Loefet, where he complains of the operation and gives tips to avoid the proper use of the lap bars at Helix.

We are very upset by this posting, as it is our intention to build the most safe amusement rides and came up with a lot of ideas how to get the feeling of more freedom for the upper body. With the seats of our Launch, MegaCoasters and now with the Inverted Powered Coaster we got a great feedback from all riders. With the lap bar comes the only safety device that the riders have to rely on. So why would you try to take this high risk? It’s for your safety to sit back and close the safety bar as far as you possibly can. Any other behaviour is ignorant and stupid.

I'm sorry that you read it that way, I'm all for proper fastening of the restraints in a safe manner, so that riders won't fall out.

But I don't see why stapling the riders in a forceful manner makes the ride any safer then just closing the restraints so that they are snug without the additional extra force. The only reason I had with that comment were to gain a couple of millimetres of leg-room, which makes the ride a lot more comfortable to ride, without the light bruising and crushed bladder that you were to be given before.

I'm however delighted to say that since the press day the crew working on Helix have been a lot more "nicer" in their checking of the restraints, meaning the "tip" is now null and void.

Again, sorry, won't post any more comments about that here again.

Ride safe everyone.

Loefet

^I don't think his intention is to avoid properly using the restraints. His post is regarding the ride operators that apply unnecessary force when securing the restraint. A couple inches of give would (or at least should) really never be enough to put the safety of the rider in jeopardy. I do, however, agree that it is wrong for him to promote doing this in the case that someone does not realize exactly what he means.

I can't say much as I haven ridden Helix but I also think his intention was never to avoid using the restraints properly. If you tighten them so that they are just touching your legs but not squeezing them it should (I think) be perfectly safe and would be enough to ensure a more comfortable ride.

I don't think anyone here is questioning the restraints themselves but just the way the operators may apply a lot of force when securing them.

Opening day Skyrush was pretty much the same way, operators were pretty much shoving the lap restraints down onto the riders. It was pretty uncomfortable and there really wasn't a reason for it in my opinion...

Generally I agree with Mack here. After riding Blue Fire multiple times the last inversion there really whirls one out of the seat so the lapbar has to tight to keep you safely in. While I will ride Helix in June I assume the rides are similar in this respect.

On the other hand however I have experienced ride attendants at parks and carnivals - not at Europa Park - who not only check the restraints with reasonable force but force them down by ramming their whole bodyweight into the motion making the restraint constrict so tight around your chest or lap that it hurt and/or made breathing hard. I have not witnessed this at Liseberg other coasters but this is always possible and might result in such a "tip" which is well-meant but is also inciting possible dangerous behaviour.

This said I always try to close the restraints properly myself so the ride attendant has only to check for my correct application of the restraint system.

I remember i reacted too when i read about the "tip" making the ride more comfortable. Not the smartest thing to do to be honest.

Although i share the criticism about the stapling. They have to be more gentle and i'm pretty sure they don't have to put their entire weight on the bar.

They most likely need education to make sure they understand what's safe and not. In the same time they need practice.

I'm sure this issue is just temporary.

^Patience is one thing but being at a park I always calculate the entry cost against the cost of an Olympia-Looping or Alpina-Bahn ride at the carnival and if I am not getting enough coaster rides inside a park based on this calculation I go home feeling kind of cheated off my money...

Saturday was a disaster. I guess they just need some time to get used to it and figure out the best way to load and unload the trains, but leaving 3-5 seats empty in each train sure doesn't help reaching that number

Totally agree. There should be a singles queue. When you walk up the final stairs to the loading station there is Place for a singles queue. Should help in filling the trains.

Or, maybee the express pass entrance could be used for single riders also...

For our English speaking audience:

Helix is again a very special coaster. First: With 1385 meters its very long. A coaster needs

to have a certain length for the rider to feel and experience. If a coaster is too short the rider

will have no remaining memory of the ride. At Helix we have two launch sections, meaning to "shoot"

(German: We have no "accelerator" in coaster terms, its "Abschuss" like shooting a projectile or "Katapult")

the train twice again and then go curves right and left. There are nearly no straights on this

coaster cause riding a straight is boring. And we go seven times (!) head over heels (German

"Überkopf" = "Overhead" as in motion not in someting over your head). And not only simple loops

cause seven loops would be again boring. For Liseberg and Europe this will be a highlight - I would

say even Worldwide.