TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

I just came home from a wonderful evening at Liseberg. I had the luck to be among the first 5 when the ride opened for the staff evening. We went on the second train to be sure to get the front seats for our first ride.

The ride is just Beautiful. I haven't been riding hundreds of rides around the World like some of you on this site. But among the 30-40 rides I have done, this is absolutely one of the best - if not the best.

The ride is so smooth and you sit perfect in the seats. I have not been on blue fire Before so this was first time for me in this type of Mack ride. The restraints are perfect! They keep you in Place and lets the whole body free. Brilliant! The ride never feels to fast it's just a nice twisting tour around the park. Two air times stands out. The one after the pretzel loop and the one after the top hat are just great!

The launchers are so nice and does not kick you in the back. As the train already are doing good speed into the launchers there is just a slow steady acceleration up to speed. This ride is so civlised all people can ride it without problems.

The last times I rode it I went into the back seat. That was a real kicker! As you fly out of the station and get Airtime into the first drop you realize this will be fun. And it is. The ride is nice up front, but gives some serious action riding in the last train. I really prefer riding in the back and recommend it for all who likes to get tickled!

So when the evening is done, and I think back, I must first of all give big thanks to Liseberg and Andreas Andersen for making this dream come true. I have been dreaming about a more gutsy ride on the Liseberg hill all time since 1986 when I rode Lisebergbanan the first time. And this wonderful coaster delivers - in spades!

Are you in northern europé and like rollercoaster you have to come and visit! This one is a keeper!

Edited by BrunoH

Helix Press Launch Event

Just got back home after a great day out at Liseberg and the press launch event of the new coaster for the 2014 season, Helix!!

I have to say that after almost 1.5 years of following the construction of this ride closely that I had some massive expectations of the final product. The expectations were taken down a notch or two when the park released the POV, but they were still pretty high. This close watch over all the phases of the construction of Helix is sort of a curse, and my worst fears came true on my first ride.

I left my first ride, which was in the very back row of the second train out of the station, with a feeling of "meh". This bit really frightened me

But now when I look back then I have to say that it was a great thing, since all my expectations disappeared in an instant and I could only enjoy the rides more and more as the day progressed. And boy did they rides impress as the day turned to evening

Even though everybody raved about the rides in the back, I have to say that I really enjoyed the rides up front or even in the middle of the train very well, but that is most likely an lingering feeling of the first ride.

However, the second to last ride in the back car was really something, but the last one in front row was definitely the best ride I had all day on Helix

Can't wait to get back for more

The train sped up a lot during the day so it will be even better in later in the summer as the temperature rises as well. At the moment there was a clear difference between the trains, one was faster than the other, but that will even out as well when they get some more circuits in them. There are some slight vibrations on the trains, but that is also something that hopefully will dissipate as they are broken in.

On the ride itself, then it's a real solid ride for the whole family. It gives you all kinds of great feelings around it's route. The air-time just goes more and more insane as the hills get larger along the ride, the final massive hill is insane, delivering epic never-ending airtime, also don't forget the Dennis Flip which is really great . All the inversions and direction changes though may be a bit too much really, it's get a bit too spinny for me on the first half. I agree with some of the comments about Helix should have had a bit more airtime and maybe less inversions, the balance may have been better that way.

No matter what I say above, Helix is still a great ride, a long, smooth ride with a great pacing overall, one that you can ride over and over again and put a massive smile on your face on every ride. It's a real top of the line ride that really delivers, so all of you disregard all your expectations and just enjoy it as the damn good ride it is. And all the non-enthusiasts I spoke with seems to love it so that's really all the praise you need really.

What's really amazing, is that this is the 3:rd world class coaster located in an inner-city park in a small north European country, that's got to count for something, Liseberg really knows how to make these things

Though I still lean toward Balder as a better ride, but Helix will need some time for it to really grow on me, damn this curse and my expectations

A massive thank you to all the people at Liseberg for making this happen, especially Lisa and Andreas for the time they have taken for me and my brother so that we are able to get a lot of these images to share with all of you of the construction of this massive!!

Also it was really nice to meet all the great people also invited to the park!

To finish this of, here are some images from today, I will go back on Saturday for even more images, so until then!!

Enjoy!

Helix_press_01.thumb.JPG.b6921ca7e6f1cb633cbb4694921af6fd.JPG

It's that time of the year, Liseberg Press day!!

Helix_press_02.thumb.JPG.fb3b29c1f142462fd6277ae0249ba8fe.JPG

Some people that may be camping for a front row spot to get into the park??

Helix_press_03.thumb.JPG.157ed85378759a10f862e71101f00058.JPG

YAY, Helix!!

Helix_press_04.thumb.JPG.7db29f92cb2422444d7019e91a5476b7.JPG

Nice curves

Helix_press_05.thumb.JPG.57c689d84ba3f985c36cbd2574d5d173.JPG

Yup, it's closed today :)

Helix_press_06.thumb.JPG.58bfb2edb967340a41633a2c05030d56.JPG

The landscaping have improved massively since the last time I was here, and it's still lot's of things to complete until Saturday

Helix_press_07.thumb.JPG.847ce2382d9a9ac13a230924d263e873.JPG

Construction HQ is gone

Helix_press_08.thumb.JPG.57c468fcf12aa7fbae41a84a313ced6e.JPG

Some of the contest winners for the first ride having a go

Helix_press_09.thumb.JPG.28f57aa9544a01bb2fb01c9ec70c86b4.JPG

Hmmm, are they testing the queue times for Lisebergbanan?

Helix_press_10.thumb.JPG.5bdbd7720faa660eb36b122572241729.JPG

Massive top-hat looking massive

Helix_press_11.thumb.JPG.ee8a2d28f3bc026f1ddc862f53e1c5e6.JPG

Beautiful, give it a few years and it will look even better

Helix_press_12.thumb.JPG.c7a27dad4a8d13e494b450231739dc3c.JPG

A nice dive into the Pretzel

Helix_press_13.thumb.JPG.b41b91e407b4d07b4a22cd4fa4abeab0.JPG

Never-ending insane airtime here

Helix_press_14.thumb.JPG.5b0bd697e45bb757ebb0e46d427faaea.JPG

Going up the hill again

Helix_press_15.thumb.JPG.ab4b0b802793cbda66fc6f173f800cb1.JPG

Hmm, what can make this image look better

Helix_press_16.thumb.JPG.ae16a5a70e683e64a35ff89c2a0c096e.JPG

YAY train!!

Helix_press_17.thumb.JPG.34bf89beea688ea5dc1a95620b913cae.JPG

The middle size hills gives the middle amount of airtime :)

Helix_press_18.thumb.JPG.078bab8c1571d31bc9bbb6854a226b95.JPG

Tight squeeze into second boost section

Helix_press_19.thumb.JPG.a9ccb4ccea046dc76b75f090f9885241.JPG

Upside-down floater

Helix_press_20.thumb.JPG.a4b386c9a3c5581bea466ed19d46a060.JPG

Back at the backside of the station

Helix_press_21.thumb.JPG.7c0c50cdfbf444917a615c3ea3031d15.JPG

Still work to be done

Helix_press_22.thumb.JPG.c6c3f8ec047da1d20534afb9bc35c567.JPG

The essesse

Helix_press_23.thumb.JPG.2c8419147148b415be35ba9ae11467cf.JPG

Heart-line roll!!

Helix_press_24.thumb.JPG.319d68234074ab509577d996365d0a93.JPG

More airtime

Helix_press_25.thumb.JPG.3b72b37d05f43767bded311d00f8a28a.JPG

Even more airtime :p

Helix_press_26.thumb.JPG.08b0206ac19d37515006194c22eec326.JPG

Twisty

Helix_press_27.thumb.JPG.d774b69df88a8b1611d3ccb1618b2a75.JPG

Tight

Helix_press_28.thumb.JPG.c1fdb0a4c142a63505aae31f26263013.JPG

YAY BALDER!!

Helix_press_29.thumb.JPG.576ec980131fc044fc4c144296338669.JPG

The Ben&Jerry stand have been added a bit of Helix

Helix_press_30.thumb.JPG.596fe36a40f5e215934feaa9f314259d.JPG

Now for the actual press launch thingy.

Andreas Andersen is doing his speech

Helix_press_31.thumb.JPG.1f40d5225701c50cd7fe83d6e42dbdf3.JPG

First train out!!

Helix_press_32.thumb.JPG.020e05993fa5722fb3248d57f83c21f5.JPG

Cool Lighting in the staion

Helix_press_33.thumb.JPG.95591ab819a4e8acf8843634713ae635.JPG

This area looks great

Helix_press_34.thumb.JPG.bc40ecbc82fbaed51701fafa2dec33ca.JPG

It's a complete maze

Helix_press_35.thumb.JPG.7be3b66afc727502d171a949cb7a6962.JPG

Paths everywhere, up and down this space

Helix_press_36.thumb.JPG.b30dd73433d901db6988bb01887f3728.JPG

After a few goes we got a ride on Kanonen

Helix_press_37.thumb.JPG.1124097380702eabf4ca7ab1b19f1bc4.JPG

And Balder, which was running great by the way

Helix_press_38.thumb.JPG.37d805ea634033c8bd0c5c72ff9baa09.JPG

Andreas Andersen trying to cheer me up :)

Helix_press_39.thumb.JPG.f1dc60f3a4ef556c41d7e07d10f71788.JPG

Epic skylight is epic

Helix_press_40.thumb.JPG.b01092bfe193a8183dc57cd6326aa50d.JPG

The station looks even better at night

Helix_press_41.thumb.JPG.539b3793306987fcc7858c7c2792b3a1.JPG

So does Helix :)

Helix_press_42.thumb.JPG.b1930bcfaf31a7f0fdde0715ed13dcd4.JPG

2 days left until opening!!

I am convinced that it is a really great ride if you let it be what it is and not what you wanted it to be (which maybe never even was intended).

In Andreas latest blog post he speaks about his nervousness and uses the words "I can only see the deficiencies, that which is not perfect".

I believe this applies to you as well. If you were to ride it with a blank page, not comparing the heartline roll to bluefires, not having a preconceived perception of the intensity, not having flied along the tracks a million times in your head, you would be blown away.

I hope that bitter taste will turn sweet as you ride it more and enjoy it in new light.

But who am I to speak, I have yet to compare it to my own expectations..

Yet I feel confident I will find a new love in what seems to be a pretty damn good coaster for the whole family, not just the extremists!

EDIT: And as always, awesome pictures!

Keep these reports coming! Interesting, though not surprising, to hear that many people strongly prefer the front or the back. I mean, it makes sense of course, but often there's more of a consensus. I have a good feeling that the ride will have enough airtime for my tastes. Looking forward to how the scenery will shape up even better over time.

Some seriously AMAZING footage of Helix! You gotta see this! Feel free to share the link!

Awesome footage, Hanno! The ridercam proves that this is an airtime machine, just like I was suspecting. June can't come soon enough!

Thanks for the comments!!

I am convinced that it is a really great ride if you let it be what it is and not what you wanted it to be (which maybe never even was intended).

In Andreas latest blog post he speaks about his nervousness and uses the words "I can only see the deficiencies, that which is not perfect".

I believe this applies to you as well. If you were to ride it with a blank page, not comparing the heartline roll to bluefires, not having a preconceived perception of the intensity, not having flied along the tracks a million times in your head, you would be blown away.

I hope that bitter taste will turn sweet as you ride it more and enjoy it in new light.

But who am I to speak, I have yet to compare it to my own expectations..

Yet I feel confident I will find a new love in what seems to be a pretty damn good coaster for the whole family, not just the extremists!

You hit the nail on the head.

Both me and Andreas agrees on this, we are on the same boat, in this matter.

Though I have left the boat after my first ride and is starting to enjoy it instead for the damn good ride it is.

And as I said, the general public absolutely love it, I have only heard top-marks from all of them. So the review of a bunch of opinionated enthusiasts doesn't really matter at all

It's a great family friendly thrill ride (it was actually weird to see all these kids running around in the station on such a major coaster ).

Forgot to ad this before. The only complain I have, which is a true complain, not just my own views of the ride.

The insane stapling, WHY???

The ride ops really do their best to crush your lower half, not a pleasant feeling if you are a guy, though it can't be nice for girls either.

Yes my lap-bar is locked and it's snug, why does it have to be bone-crushingly tight as well??

Especially if it will tighten itself as you go down the first drop anyway.

I really hope that they get better at checking restraints once the ride opens..

Sounds like I have kept my expectations just right, and that this will be an awesome ride!

Can't decide if I should go and ride it immediately, or if I should wait to the middle of May for some warmer weather..

^ I agree with Simon, too bad that they have fixed their booking system glitch that could have given you a two way ticket for just 37 SEK

If you drive up, then I can point you to some great parking close to the park, the free kind

Awesome video Hanno!

This has really made Liseberg a MUST visit now! (even if balder wasn't enough) Looks like a great ride: airtime, inversions, nice pacing and proper length. Well done Mack and Liseberg!

^ I agree with Simon, too bad that they have fixed their booking system glitch that could have given you a two way ticket for just 37 SEK

If you drive up, then I can point you to some great parking close to the park, the free kind

Wait, what???

That would have been aweseom!

Unfortunetly I don't own my beloved Saab anymore, so no driving

The glitch were that if you wanted to book a ticket from Gothenburg to Kungsbacka which kost 37 SEK, you could get a ticket via Kopenhagen

This gave you 4 or so hours in Kopenhagen, if you wanted to stay longer just get a "return" one (Kungsbacka to Gothenburg) via Kopenhagen again

^Thats why I try to close the restraints myself - some attendants have some vigour...

That didn't matter anyway, they really threw themselves at it with all their weight on them, and then after that gave it a quick hard pull to see if they are locked. It's weird, especially if you compare that to Lisebergbanan where they only do a visual inspection and Balder where they just pull in the lap-bar with a fingertip to see that they are locked.