TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Rarely is a movie so good that it deserves it's own topic, but this one is.

This movie is great, from start to finish. And, I almost hate to say it, surpasses the original movie.

A movie that could have only been done by Tim Burton, starring Johnny Depp. The movie follows the book ALOT more than the original movie, which is a good thing IMO.

The movie though, is quite aptly named "Charlie" and the Chocolate Factory, because, after all, the movie is about Charlie, and his experience in the chocolate factory. Unlike the original, the time leading up to entering the factory and the relationship between Charlie and his family is the heart of the movie, as it was in the book. In the end Charlie helps Willy more than Willy helps Charlie.

I'm not going to say the original sucks now, but everything I didn't like about the original has been done better. I never liked how Charlie was just "the last kid" and therefore got the factory. That was never the intention of the book. I also always found the first 30 minutes of the original to be rather boring. This is not the case this time around.

The visuals in the factory itself are without doubt mesmerizing. The Oompa Loompas, all played by Deep Roy, steal every scene they are in. The musical numbers this time around are absolutely hilarious. But again, the "Moral" of the story is there, maybe even moreso than the original.

In conclusion, I can't recommend this movie enough. It's a kid's movie, but as we have come to expect from Tim Burton, twisted enough for the adults. I have to say, this is probably one of Tim Burton's most twisted.

We also saw a trailer for "Corpse Bride" ... Can't wait!!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw it yesterday and i did like that it followed the book more than the other one. it was kind of wiered though. i like how willy always gave little smart coments on everything.

one thing that i really didnt like was that only charley had an english accent. a lot of times in movies for some reason the little kid has an accent. i just hate when they do that in movies.

overall i thought it was okay.

I've heard a lot of rumors about this movie. The two most intriguing are that Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt produced it, and that Marilyn Manson rewrote the script to what it is now.

The Jennifer & Brad thing seems less plausible than Manson "touching up" the script. I say that because one of Manson's first music videos, filmed in the very early 90's, was a demented recreation of the Wonka boat ride. I haven't watched it in almost 10 years, but I distinctly remember Oompa Loopmas hanging by nooses and all sorts of other wild things. Anyway, this is why when I heard about the supposed Wonka rewrite, it made me go hmmmm.

It was great to hear your thoughts, Greg, thank you. I can't wait to see the new Willy Wonka movie! However, my most anticipated movie of the summer is Devil's Rejects (the sequel to House of 1000 Corpses). The first one would probably get my vote as the sickest, most twisted movie I've ever seen (well what else would you expect from Rob Zombie? )

-kip-

Sammi and I saw it yesterday, also, and I totally agree with Gregg that it was awesome. I always liked the original-it was quirky in a 70's drug-trip kind of way-however, there were parts of it that I disliked, particularly the boat trip/tunnel part. I still find it creepy as an adult.

Unlike the first movie, this one does stay truer to the book (or so my 7 year old tells me...her day camp teachers read it to them last week) and it definitely tells you a lot more about Charlie and Willie and their lives.

I agree too, that, just like Ron Howard casting Jim Carrey as the Grinch, there could have been no better combination for this movie as the reteaming of Burton and Depp. I though Johnny Depp was hillarious!! He was kind of Michael Jacksonish, I guess you could say, but in the innocent way-not the creepy way.

I also thought "Corpse Bride" looks cool (Sammi didn't understand, she thought it was 'Nightmare Before Christmas')".

Shari "This one's worth your $8-$12" Shoufler

I love this version. Jonny Depp played a great Willy! The music is awsome,I really like the beginning music. It's so creepy and I like creepy music! The grandparent's had some funny moment's too. Saying things like "I like grapes." But the funniest moment with the grandparents is after they see Mike T.V. and George shouted " It's a good thing your going to a chocolate factory you little B...." Charlie's mom covers his ears so he can't hear what George is saying. You can't hear anything and the camera shows George mouthing some curse words. That was soooo funny!

GREAT Movie..

Nothing can beat Gene Wilder.. but if you compare this to the original movie, then ure going to ruin this one.

"Everything in here is edible, you can eat everything! Including me, but that's called Cannibalism!" LOL.. so many good lines. I think Wonka did have a Michael Jackson feel in how he seemed like an out of touch adult who thinks he's a kid.. but it works really great.

I thought the way they depicted everything, especially in the beginning was amazing.. and it did follow the book a lot better! Charlie did have a dad in the book, and he was a toothpaste top twister.

Eric "burned doll treatment and rehabilitation center" Geiple

I took Diana to see this movie last night over at Edwards in Camarillo. We both really enjoyed it, and will certainly buy it when it comes out on DVD.

If you haven't already, get to your nearest theater and see it.

Eric