TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Six Flags Great Adventure

Hey!

My name's Danny Weiss, I've been a member for a while, but have never posted before. But since I have a ton of homework to do, this seems like as good a way as any to not do it.

I'm a student in NJ, but my hometown is Chicago. I've been at school a month now, but haven't had the opportunity to make it out here yet due to the unreachability of Jackson NJ by means of NJ public transportation. But we finally managed. There were four of us, and two of us were from Chicago, so if I happen to mention Chicago alot or compare to SFGA, you know why.

We arrived about 45 minutes early, and waited anxiously, due to the impending weather. It was supposed to rain all day, and we were worried, since it was such a hassle to make it out here, that we wouldn't be able to ride anything. Especially Kingda Ka. But we got insanely lucky, and it ended up not raining at all, just misting slightly, so there were NO crowds at all the entire day. It was unbelievable. The longest we had to wait all day was one train. The park ended up closing at 4 due to approaching thunderstorms, but we managed to get in all the credits and had 30 coaster rides by the end of it all.

We started the day off on Kingda Kaaaah - us Chicagoans got made fun of all day, so we made a habit of pronouncing it as obnoxiously as possible after a while. We walked on to the front row of the first ride, and then walked again for another round.

The rest of the day went kind of similarly. El Toro was amazing! We rode it 5 times in the back row without having to get up early in the day, and loved every second of it. Although I did prefer Voyage, but only slightly.

Nitro was great, but again, I couldn't decide if I preferred Raging Bull or Nitro. Raging Bull had a much larger aesthetic appeal, and had a more solid theme, and looked nicer. Nitro had better spots of airtime though But Bull has such a unique layout compared to Nitro. But Nitro felt a lot longer. Hmmmm... I can't decide.

Medusa was a lot less forceless than everybody makes it out to be, in my opinion. I don't know, we liked it a lot.

GASM was not as bad as I was expecting, SUF was really really boring, Skull Mountain kicked the Dark Knight's butt any day. It was smooth, had air on that first drop, was darker, nice and fluid, had a good amount of air circulation, which was very pleasant. Very nice.

All in all, it was an AMAZING day, couldn't have asked for more. Our ride count was

KK-2. ET-9, Nit-3, Med-4, SUF-2, DK-2, Skull MT-2, everything else 1. That should be 30.

But I'll let the pictures do some of the talking. Overall it was an amazing trip, though. Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed.

DSC08939.thumb.jpg.ebc97958441bbb2977abeb0744919eea.jpg

One final majority-group picture before the cab came. All in all, an aMAZing day, thanks for reading.

DSC08936.thumb.jpg.ac980be9fd86a2131ac49b4ecff2d9e6.jpg

Riding with strangers to get an extra ride in - classy. And check out the girl with the pigtails waisting her sweatshirt. Perfection at its finest.

DSC08934.thumb.jpg.25ec81b9c99ed2718bb47215df91cd3b.jpg

This was the let's-try-to-run-all-the-way-to-el-toro-before-the-park-closes picture. Fail. Although we did make it, eventually. But that's a looooong way to run.

DSC08932.thumb.jpg.c45e84a3c95cc98bff094adaf420f2b9.jpg

If you look closely, I spy us in the front row.

DSC08929.thumb.jpg.78bf4af12aa7ebaa4911abeef963caff.jpg

This is an alarmingly bright color scheme. Batman was essentially the same. Chicago's was in a nicer landscaped area though.

DSC08928.thumb.jpg.f40ced14e19809b29168f37cc4288607.jpg

Running away, gangster style, from the far side of the park.

DSC08927.thumb.jpg.25dd407fd640651511ac86b9a14d67c7.jpg

This was over by the kiddie coaster. That's how she feeds.

DSC08918.thumb.jpg.7dcae9d0c42eea0ad6f124e8226580f4.jpg

Haha, this was our impression of the Dark Knight. BUT, we got to reride without exiting because there was NO ONE in line. Again, this would not happen in Chicago in a million years, regardless of how crowded it was.

DSC08916.thumb.jpg.7b1f0e08e50c08eae76b8b34f03bd1b5.jpg

This is what credit whoring does to you. It makes you inordinately hairy.

DSC08913.thumb.jpg.69b7a98627a14e1a9db2525017f39302.jpg

this is either the best or the worst picture of my life. I can't decide.

DSC08910.thumb.jpg.ae617117daeedae311a6fdebce1b5688.jpg

But we rerode it anyways, because in Chicago, the station wouldn't look like this even if there were only 5 people in the park. It will ALWAYS have a line over an hour.

DSC08908.thumb.jpg.58eb1bad1bec58f6f2f91fcd15d3e801.jpg

Hahaha, NJ's Superman was a liiiiiitle worse than Chicago's I think. I'm not really a fan of either.

DSC08903.thumb.jpg.0e3fd6787e323ce5b24707c53fe07327.jpg

It was nice to ride a Shockwave again. I remember it still as a child. And GASM wasn't as painful as I expected. It was built over like the park sinkhole though.

DSC08901.thumb.jpg.ff81b26bb000cbe862e88753d2b9eaf1.jpg

The reasons I like Voyage better are these. The length. Voyage had more sustained power. El Toro's airtime was significantly better, but still. And Voyage's location is better. And it does more. Plain and simple. But it was close. And I can see why people would disagree

DSC08876.thumb.jpg.beedaf2d038ae9a9a9e4a71041b7b566.jpg

The mine train ride smelled like urine. No joke. This was probably the most painful ride in the park. I don't know what was up with it. No good.

DSC08863.thumb.jpg.e8cdf40bf70b67efe81469d3f4fee0ff.jpg

Both ends of this picture are sheer beauty.

DSC08861.thumb.jpg.9d9032efef13892b6be32f0894e985bb.jpg

One of the best pictures of my life.

DSC08845.thumb.jpg.95fa2d4826fda8cb37f7c412434f73e3.jpg

Classic shot. Too bad it's a little blurry.

DSC08839.thumb.jpg.b31b1d472007f89398d339a11cff0304.jpg

This is really the best picture you can get of Nitro I think. Too many darn trees. I can't decide if I liked it more than Raging Bull though.

DSC08838.thumb.jpg.8d4377693b35924c442f5ed325ef0a09.jpg

Most think Medusa is too forceless. I thought it was fine. Not the best ride in the park, but in most anywhere else it would be.

DSC08833.thumb.jpg.b218913186030665cfd5a7f13a65f0f3.jpg

Group shot in front of the best view in the park. I actually prefer this view when it's cloudy, for whatever reason. It looks nicer.

DSC08832.thumb.jpg.84993acc1319864f1394faac3e240855.jpg

This is not.

DSC08831.thumb.jpg.22dbb4316b02c7d474ffc0f12dee1793.jpg

This is one of the most beautiful pictures I have ever taken.

DSC08824.thumb.jpg.5ccb9bc4359940c5ff812e9d3f94ab16.jpg

I consider myself the luckiest person in the world. We walked on to the front row, 20 minutes after park opening. It was joyous to say the least.

DSC08819.thumb.jpg.a5226df29fa53ec51282ccc8a78e7cb2.jpg

Classic, 'El Toro with sign' picture. The airtime on those hills was unreal.

DSC08810.thumb.jpg.7e4af53bc99e4d1272cf9e34ce5d7911.jpg

This does a good job emphasizing the size of the ride, even without the tower.

DSC08808.thumb.jpg.2686aaf7d0a95bf5bef69ffdd66c4dd6.jpg

Haha, Karen. And, you can tell how empty the station is despite the fact that the park has been open for a good 10 minutes now.

DSC08806.thumb.jpg.fe9f1aed611a08b90db968c5a47e9878.jpg

The Kingda Ka dance.

DSC08801.thumb.jpg.a586593300354e40b6199f1fdf682bee.jpg

Thar she blows. What a wake up. I think I liked TTD better but it's hard to tell. It could have been the restraints, or it could have been that I rode TTD first. Who knows.

DSC08783.thumb.jpg.ab8b9fffcb06873523bdead89e864ca5.jpg

It was exciting, ok? Give us a break. (That's me on the left, by the way. Karen is in the middle, and Renee is on the far side. Justin is the Asian not in this picture.)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yeah, this was Saturday by the way. Sorry.

the date on this TR was Saturday, Sept 27th, 2008. I forgot to mention it. It was a little frustrating, I agree. Especially because it was 2:30 before they made the announcement, meaning we had to call and reschedule our cab pickup for 6 hours earlier and whatnot, which was frustrating because the guy we called didn't happen to have his phone on at the time.

But thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

Great TR. I LOVE SFGAdv...and consider Nitro the best B + M EVER. I'm so glad that you guys got to experience empty queues!!!

Anyhow, I thought the "fat chick" photos were a bit unnecessary.

I wonder how well the stereoptypical asian and black jokes go over within your circle.

C. "chicken-legged whitegirl" Steffensen

Hey, what school do you go to? Just curious since I'm at college in the NJ area, although I also kind of live in NJ. Just wierd, never even heard of taking public transportation to anywhere in NJ, it's usually just to go to Phili or NYC. We're a very.. we like to drive our cars everywhere kind of state.

I was there on Saturday as well.

We managed to get 3 front seat rides on El Toro in the morning with out getting out of our seats. We could have had more but we got up to sit in the back. It was awesome!

The back seat was good, but I think I like the front seat more.

El Toro was also my 200th coaster! Woohoo!

I was pretty upset about them closing the park down at 4:00, considering that I drove 12 hours to get to the park. Luckily it was so dead that I was able to ride all the coasters, some of them even multiple times, excluding Kingda Ka... because I procrastinated and they shut it down early.

I liked SFGadv WAY better than SFGAm.

I think the coaster selection was way better than SFGAm.

I don't even think there is a comparison between Nitro and Raging Bull. In my opinion, Nitro blew Raging Bull out of the water!

It's a tough call for me to decide whether I like El Toro or Voyage better. They both have some awesome qualities. I think that El Toro is more re-ridable though.

Here is a photo of my roommate and I on El Toro with our "nerdy" coaster count signs, haha. (I'm on the left)

I don't remember seeing you guys. You'd think that I would remember seeing your group, seeing as how there were like maybe 50 people there in the morning.

I would be willing to bet that I have a photo or 2 that has you and your friends in them.

P.S. I too, think that the photos of the overweight people were unnecessary. Just my opinion.

986421318_200Vertical.jpg.668ff1de3e6591d028e647d8c8f8aa92.jpg

El Toro! My 200th coaster & my roommates 100th coaster.

I apologize if I offended anyone with any of the pictures I posted or the captions I took.

So you said you rode El Toro front seat without moving three times in the morning before switching to the back? We were the group that got in line for the front that made you change seats, haha. Sorry about that. Congrats on your 200th coaster, that's pretty awesome. Good choice, too. El Toro's quite the pick for number 200.

I somewhat disagree with you about comparing SFGA and GAdv. I agree that GAdv had a better rides, but not necessarily that they had a better ride selection. I don' quite agree that GAdv was a better park though. Maybe this is because SFGAm's my home park, but GAdv didn't have nearly the atmosphere that SFGAm does. And the layout wasn't as efficient at all. SFGAm is much more logical in its ride placements, and much more accommodating, with the circular layout and all. But it's hard to compare because I'm sure the weather has a lot to do with it.

Thanks for reading.

Yeah, STR8FXXXNEDGE, if you look at that picture of me in the empty El Toro station in the first half of the photos, you guys would be in the front seat of the train pulling in to the station. By your account that should have been your third ride. Though it's just about impossible to tell because it's so blurry.

Was this Saturday or Sunday? If it was Sunday that makes it the 3rd day in a row the park closed early without warning or updating the website. Very fusturating.

Park closed early at 6:30 on Sunday too. It started thundering around quarter to 6 or so, so I guess they just decided to get everyone out then.

Great report, it sounds like you had a similar day to what I had on Sunday. It didn't rain at all the whole day except one 20 minute drizzle. I got the last set of trains on Kingda Ka in the rain. It hurt pretty bad. Everything was running one train except kingda ka (2), Skull Mountain (2), and Nitro later in the day also had 2. It was a GREAT day with nothing more than a station wait.

Duh, I don't know why i asked that, It wasn't until later that I saw "Hey.. That is a Princeton hoodie he has on". Well that's the kind of intelligence that comes out of Rowan University! Just so you don't have to look up where that is located, It's about 10 miles south of Clementon Amusement Park. It's an hour south of Princeton. I'm surprised Princeton doesn't have any trips you can sign up to go on that heads to amusement parks or anything, at Rowan we've had trips to Hershey (freshman) Sfgadv (sophmore) and Dorney park (Junior) year. Maybe you could check that out so you can get on some more rides.

Arg, i was really hoping i'd found someone that goes to Rowan...

Yeah, they kind of had a trip, but the way Princeton works is there are six residential colleges, and each one plans trips separately, so there were two that ended up going, but I wasn't in either of those residential colleges. Which is too bad, because they do an amazing job of keeping the cost way down.

We were originally planning on going to SFGA this past weekend but decided agaisnt it due to the weather. We headed for Kings Island instead where the weather was a bit better and the park was open till 1:00 AM both Friday and Saturday nights.

Glad that the weather held out for you, but I would have been pissed had the park closed at 4:00 being that we would have driven eight hours to get there! But then again, if you got your fill of coasters due to walk-on's, it would not have been too bad.