TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

Okay so I have two reviews for some albums I picked up this past tuesday. The First is Wake UP!, a collabrative effort from John Legend and The Roots. It takes current economic and civil distresses and blends them into soulful lyrics over even more soulful beats. It's the best I've heard from John Legend since his freshman album Get Lifted in 2004.

The Roots provide a very interesting sound displaying their wide range of instrumental ability and take this albums sound back 40 years to deliver a sound that even in 2010 can still envoke a generation to do exactly what the title suggest.

Downfalls to the album are minimal, but the most notable would be the huge absence of Roots' frontrunner Blackthought. He lends vocals on two of the albums twelve tracks. As the Lyricist of The Roots, you'd expect more of him, especially since other rappers appear (Common and CL Smooth). Still, it's a strong effort worth a listen, and if you can hurry to Best Buy this week, worth the ten bucks.

9/10

Next, I had a listen to Hands All Over, the third studio set by Maroon 5. Although I was not looking forward to this album because I thought their last attempt, It Won't Be Soon Before Long in 2007 was a bit gimmicky only offering a handful of radio-friendly singles, Hands redeems the group.

Each song blends beautifully into the next without ringing of monotuned instruments and repetitive noises. It you liked Songs About Jane, you'll love this hot album.

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I found a ska punk band called We are the Union that I am really enjoying. They are more like Streetlight than bands like Reel Big Fish, but there music is more traditional punk then Streetlight. Their music is fun to listen to and very mosh friendly, and unlike some ska bands this band would not feel out of place at a punk show or something like that.

If punk or ska is your thing I suggest checking them out!

I'm really surprised that nobody has really talked about Motley Crue. They kick @$$!!!! I really want them to go on tour again.

Why would we talk about motley crue? They've had their time. Also the Crue just recently toured with Ozzy and Priest headlining ozzfest!

Well that was just wrong.

I was listening to my iPod on shuffle. I put on Fiction by Avenged Sevenfold, a beautiful piano melody that has The Rev on drums and singing, one of the last songs he ever recorded. I was so into it, it almost brought a tear to my eye by the end of the song.

A moment passes. Then I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geiq0FP13uQ

Worst mood change EVAR.

Music is my main passion in life. I'm primarily a drummer but I'm working on a solo album where I sing and play everything. I very much look forward to participating in this thread. I have over 10,000 posts on the Coachella Message Board. My username is a great Tom Waits album and also a great Pixies song.

My favorite albums of the year so far:

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

The National - High Violet

Caribou - Swim

Crystal Castles - 2

Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest

The Besnard Lakes – The Besnard Lakes are the Roaring Night

Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM

Gorillaz - Platic Beach

Joanna Newsum - Have One On Me

Pantha Du Prince – Black Noise

Blonde Redhead - Penny Sparkle

Autolux – Transit Transit

Chemical Brothers - Further

Sufjan Stevens – All Delighted People EP

The best shows I saw this year so far:

Swans

A Place To Bury Strangers

Plastikman

Pearl Jam

Fang Island

Muse

Derrick Carter

Titus Andronicus

LCD Soundsystem

The National

Jay-Z

Dirty Projectors

The xx

I was just wondering if anybody on here was an Of Montreal fan. I cant get enough of them, but it's hard to find other people who like them.

Seriously? I just went to a sold out show of theirs at a large venue and there were lots of people outside who didn't get tickets and this was in Cincinnati (not a big music town.)

Hi five on the Animal Collective and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Animal Collective is probably the most important band of the decade (2000-2010.)

Music is my main passion in life. I'm primarily a drummer but I'm working on a solo album where I sing and play everything. I very much look forward to participating in this thread. I have over 10,000 posts on the Coachella Message Board. My username is a great Tom Waits album and also a great Pixies song.

My favorite albums of the year so far:

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

The National - High Violet

Caribou - Swim

Crystal Castles - 2

Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest

The Besnard Lakes – The Besnard Lakes are the Roaring Night

Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM

Gorillaz - Platic Beach

Joanna Newsum - Have One On Me

Pantha Du Prince – Black Noise

Blonde Redhead - Penny Sparkle

Autolux – Transit Transit

Chemical Brothers - Further

Sufjan Stevens – All Delighted People EP

The best shows I saw this year so far:

Swans

A Place To Bury Strangers

Plastikman

Pearl Jam

Fang Island

Muse

Derrick Carter

Titus Andronicus

LCD Soundsystem

The National

Jay-Z

Dirty Projectors

The xx

HAHAHA. No way! I have lurked on the Coachella board since 2007 and I recognize your username. Did you see Plastikman at Coachella? That was a great set.

My last shows were the two Arcade Fire shrine shows which were great and I caught them at MSG in the pit which was cool as well. I should be heading out to Mumford & Sons in the next few hours and I am pretty excited for that show.

Out of randomness i would like to see if any other TPR members like the band Slipknot. For me they are my favorite band. I was at the download festival in 2009 when they recorded the DVD Sicnesses.It was the best show i had ever seen. In the end i am a maggot for life but I would like to see how other people feel towards the band. For those of you who have never heard a Slipknot song this is for you to listen to.

The song is called surfacing and it is my favorite song. And this is a picture of the band with the release of the last album All Hope Is Gone. Note the bassist Paul Gray passed away this year.

slipknot-metal-allhopeisgone.jpg.b8d4fa7ee33a63cedc3f5c185a0e9435.jpg

Maggots For Life!

Animal Collective is probably the most important band of the decade (2000-2010.)

Sorry, but a band nobody has heard of can't possibly be the most important band of the decade.

Granted, most music of the 2000's has sucked, but if I was going to go out on a limb and name the most important acts of the decade I'd go with maybe Daft Punk, The Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem over Animal Collective.

But we all know the most important band of the decade is Radiohead. They have single-handedly saved "main stream" music.

Anyone here pick up a copy of Dimmu Borgir's "Abrahadabra"? I'm thinking about picking myself up a copy but I want to make sure its a good album before I do. Gateways sounds like a good song, but that's just the first single, which is nearly always the diamond hidden within the turd.

• 3 weeks later...

If there's anyone who's feeling for some disco I've made a mix of some songs from the good ol' days to some of the more modern days tracks and edits (and a few blues tracks just for fun).

Olov - Partysco

Tracklist is as follow:

1) K.C. & The Sunshine Band - Do You Wanna Go Party

2) Ilija Rudman - Call Me Tonight (Greg Wilson Version)

3) Instant Funk - Dark Vader

4) Space - Deliverance (The Love Supreme Hard Disco Remix)

5) Sly Mongoose - Snakes And Ladder (Rub n Tug Remix)

6) Chic - Dance, Dance, Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah)

7) Chaplin Band - il Veliero (Bonar Bradberry Edit)

8) Diskjokke - 1987 (Prins Thomas Diskomiks)

9) Skatebård - Way Out (H.R. Genova Remix)

10) Aeroplane - Superstar (The Krays Remix)

11) Mirror People - Night Impact (Cosmonaut Grechko Re-Intepretation)

12) Itäväylä - Black Diamond Express

13) Canned Heat - On The Road Again (Wanda Rode Again) (Wade Nichols Edit)

I got other mixes as well on my soundcloud page which are mostly tech-house, deep house and some flat out techno.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw CAKE at the Mann Center back in September, and went on their Facebook and website petitioning them to play a show at a nearby theater. Lo and behold, Saturday I found on their mailing list that they're in fact playing TWO shows there. I'm determined to get front row seats to one of the shows, this is such an incredible opportunity. Also, pre-ordered their new album yesterday!