TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

Another "Best" list that's chock full of BS:

http://www.musicradar.com/rhythm/greatest-drummer-of-the-last-25-years-the-results-are-in-270334#content

British drumming magazine Rhythm held a poll last week to find the 20 Greatest Drummers of the Last 25 Years, and the results are in. While this ranked round-up of stick-wielding technicians was not reserved just for metal, featuring Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Travis Barker, Phil Collins and Steven Copeland in the list, we're proud to report that Slipknot's Joey Jordison was the number one fan-selected drummer, with Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy in second place and Porcupine Tree's Gavin Harrison in third!

Of Joey's landslide win with 38,000 votes, the site writes, "Ever since blast beating his way into the drum world back in 1999 as Slipknot unleashed their stunning debut, Joey has cemented himself as the master of metal playing. Lightning fast-yet-supremely-technical, Joey has proven himself equally adept outside of the confines of Slipknot, having worked with Korn, Rob Zombie, Murderdolls and more, as well as stepping in to save the day at the last minute when depping for Lars Ulrich at Download 2004."

As for Portnoy's spot on the list, Rhythm writes, "His work with Dream Theater is jaw-droppingly impressive (as is his workload with the prog masters, churning out pretty much an album a year since their debut in 1989), and his stints with OSI, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Liquid Tension Experiment and more mean that he’s one of the busiest sticksmen around, as well as one of the most visually engaging an impressive. No wonder he earned more than 29,000 votes in our poll."

Rounding out the trifecta is Gavin Harrison in third, of which Rhythm contends, "Porcupine Tree have attracted a huge fanbase of die-hards with their time-signature defying, fluid rock sound, and drummer Gavin Harrison has been a huge part of that since joining the band back in 2002. Gavin’s prog background stretches right back to 1983 and his time with Renaissance, while he currently juggles drumming duties with Porcupine Tree and King Crimson."

The list:

1) Joey Jordison (Slipknot/Korn/Rob Zombie)

2) Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre)

3) Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree)

4) Neil Peart (Rush)

5) Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters)

6) Travis Barker (Blink 182)

7) Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)

8) Vinnie Calaiuta (Frank Zappa/Sting)

9) Phil Collins

10) Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

11) Brann Dailor (Mastodon)

12) Steve Gadd (Eric Clapton/Paul Simon)

13) Thomas Lang (Session)

14) Stewart Copeland (The Police)

15) Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa)

16) Josh Freese (A Perfect Circle/Devo)

17) Cozy Powell (Rainbow/Whitesnake)

18) Jeff Porcaro (Toto)

19) Stephen Morris (Joy Division/New Order)

20) Steve White (Paul Weller)

Other than #1, #5, #6 and #10 I don't really have a HUGE issue with this list. Joey Jordison wouldn't even be in my top 20, let alone #1 by a landslide. Also kind of silly to include Grohl as the Foo Fighters drummer but not Taylor Hawkins. And the drummer from Toto and Joy Division/New Order? Seriously?

Wonder what the Brits feel about this one since this list is from them.

^Honestly, I'd be cool with that list if it were the 20 Most Popular Drummers in the Last 25 years. But I don't agree with this list AT ALL. Travis Barker shouldn't even be on the list, and Joey Jordison shouldn't be #1. That magazine probably hasn't even heard of Matt Greiner. He's the drummer for a band called August Burns Red, and he totally throws Joey and Travis into the trash bin.

I understand that their new gig as houseband for Jimmy Fallon probably takes up most of their time, but The Roots put out a pretty good album this year. "How I Got Over" was pretty good, but wasn't their best effort. The last true Roots effort I feel was "Game Theory" in 2006. That was the last record it seemed like they gave their all. They've got a collab album with John Legend next month and I'm looking forward to that.

Also kind of silly to include Grohl as the Foo Fighters drummer but not Taylor Hawkins.

If I may disagree, Dave wrote and played the drums for the first album and for all but a few tracks from The Colour and the Shape and even past that, he also writes and records himself on the drums for newer albums but I believe those are just drum trackings and allow for Hawkins to skim over and do his own thing with Dave's plan.

As with any "Greatest/Top/Best/other generic accolade" list is that it's extremely commercialized. Regardless of who chooses them, they tend to be the best selling even without regard to who they're choosing or why other than who sells the best and is the most visible. The Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists List is a crystal clear example of this. Kurt Cobain is number 12. A man who innovated nothing to guitar playing is 58 places above one of the most innovative guitarists of all time, EVH. He beats out guitarists that are notably better than him like John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani? Guitarists, who if you ask someone who has listened to ANY of their songs can undeniably say are more skilled than Kurt Cobain, are not on that list. The only reason they're not on the list is because their music doesn't sell as well as Kurt Cobain's music. It's sad but it's how the music industry works.

I was just wondering if anybody on here was an Of Montreal fan. I cant get enough of them, but it's hard to find other people who like them.

Some of my other favorite bands are:

The Mars Volta

Animal Collective

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Circa Survive

The sound of Animals Fighting

Not sure what everybody is into for music, but I myself am a horrorcore rapper. So ill throw this out there to those who want to listen. I just released a free album on my site and I warn everybody, its graphic and if you get offended by the lyrics you have been warned, nothing to buy, not trying to sell anything this is free and its me !!!

www.doctorgigglez.com

Let me know what you guys think, the next album is going to be all about amusement parks coming later in the year.

Arcade Fire's Google Experiment

The indie rock band Arcade Fire joined with Google to participate in one of their "Chrome Experiments" that show cases the use of HTML5. They took their song "We Used to Wait" from their latest album "The Suburbs" and had filmmaker Chris Milk create a sort of "interactive music video". You type your address into the search bar and it obtains pictures, aerial and street level, from Google, and creates a 5-6 window "music video". Yea the pictures aren't the best and if you don't like Arcade Fire you'll want to look for a different soundtrack, but it's a pretty cool way to display the capabilities of HTML5.

"it is not the best Metallica album, but it is a huge improvement from St. Anger. Overall it is a pretty good album. "

Yes, the album is pretty good and i loved it. As for me it really looks like a Metallica Album.

--------------

turbobeatmakeraudioproductiontoolreview./music_maker_and_mixing_software.]music maker and mixing software[/url]

Edited by Moose

Arcade Fire's Google Experiment

The indie rock band Arcade Fire joined with Google to participate in one of their "Chrome Experiments" that show cases the use of HTML5. They took their song "We Used to Wait" from their latest album "The Suburbs" and had filmmaker Chris Milk create a sort of "interactive music video". You type your address into the search bar and it obtains pictures, aerial and street level, from Google, and creates a 5-6 window "music video". Yea the pictures aren't the best and if you don't like Arcade Fire you'll want to look for a different soundtrack, but it's a pretty cool way to display the capabilities of HTML5.

The Wilderness Downtown = Awesome!!!

I can't wait till I get to see them play here in LA on October 7th. I really wish I could go to AF's concert in Big Sur though, the Henry Miller Library looks like such a great venue.

I was just wondering if anybody on here was an Of Montreal fan. I cant get enough of them, but it's hard to find other people who like them.

I love Of Montreal! It just so happens that I'm going to college in their hometown (Athens, GA), and they're playing a show next Saturday. I'm so there. Wolf Parade, Beach House, Mt St Helens Vietnam Band, The Whigs, and Portugal. The Man are also making stops in Athens in the near future, so I'm saving up some cash to go see 'em all! I enjoy living in a music hotspot!

Other than #1, #5, #6 and #10 I don't really have a HUGE issue with this list. Joey Jordison wouldn't even be in my top 20, let alone #1 by a landslide. Also kind of silly to include Grohl as the Foo Fighters drummer but not Taylor Hawkins. And the drummer from Toto and Joy Division/New Order? Seriously?

Wonder what the Brits feel about this one since this list is from them.

I agree with everyone else except Jordison. I do not think he is the best drummer in the world, but hes a DAMN good drummer. I dont know what makes Barker so special, it sounds like average punk(well, blinks not really punk, more like power pop) to me. It depends on what you like though. Slipknot, which is one of my favorite bands, is not necessarily about rhythm or complexity, but a REALLY fast simplistic beat. People like Portnoy are prog drummers, so there drumming is more complex and still pretty damn fast, but not quite as heavy. I still dont agree with the list in many cases though.

^Dude, Joey's drumming is JUNK. He's alright at best, but definitely not #1 material, not even close. Portnoy or Peart should have taken the #1 spot. I also think Samus Paulicelli (Ex. Abigail Williams, Current drummer for Decrepit Birth) should have been on the list, not in the #1 slot, but definitely ON the list. He is one of the best new drummers in the metal community, but he is extremely far from the public eye, so its not surprising that he is not even mentioned.

Here's Samus playing "Empyrean" by Abigail Williams.

Just my opinion, and I know that there were other people on the list, but I don't judge just on how fast you can play. John Bonham was still one of the best. There are other things to focus on, like rudiments and stroke patterns. I think the best player is someone who can play sharp, crisp, and very technical. Carter Beauford anybody?

Just my opinion, and I know that there were other people on the list, but I don't judge just on how fast you can play. John Bonham was still one of the best. There are other things to focus on, like rudiments and stroke patterns. I think the best player is someone who can play sharp, crisp, and very technical. Carter Beauford anybody?

Definitely. While I don't think Bonham should have been #1, (His work just never seemed incredibly amazing to me, but it was damn good!) he SHOULD have been on the list.

There are other things to focus on, like rudiments and stroke patterns. I think the best player is someone who can play sharp, crisp, and very technical.

Indeed, speed is not everything. Granted, in my musical community, it is a big part of the equation, but if you play crap at 260 BPM, you're still playing crap. The reasons I admire drummers like Samus (above), George Kollias, Derek Roddy, and Tomas Haake, (and to a lesser degree for this particular situation, Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey) is that they all can play incredibly fast AND on beat/in time, while playing some really eccentric patterns, and on top of that in very difficult time signatures. (For instance, Haake is known for playing in 23/16 on occasion)

But, like I said, if your playing crap at 260BPM, its still crap. Amazing drumming at 100BPM, is still amazing drumming. This is where drummers like Peart, Portnoy, Bonham, Carey, etc, come in. Some of the stuff they do is just absolutely amazing and confusing.

I think you all should give this a listen.

It's a band from Seattle called Rabbit Junk, they've been around for a few years, released three albums, but aren't widely known in the least. They're a mix between digital-hardcore, industrial metal, and some hip-hop elements, pretty much. They're great.

EDIT: Forget it, the vid's not working when I embed it. Just go on youtube and look up Ghetto Blasphemer, that's my personal favorite song by the band.