TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

On a side note, have any of you guys heard of Amberian Dawn?

If you heard a song or two by them, or all of their songs and you are a fan like me, then what do you think of them?

Amberian Dawn is a great band, I particularly like Circus Black.

If you like Nightwish, Tarja just releases her latest album "Colours in the Dark", I haven't picked it up yet, but I've heard some of it. It is good, but not something that hits me right off the bat, I'll see how it soaks in later.

I just got Sirenia's new album "Perils of the Deep Blue", it is sounding incredible so far, however I just got it, so again, have to wait and see how it stacks up to the rest of their stuff.

Tristania's latest that I also just got sounds a lot like their early stuff, a mix of hardcore Goth Metal mixed in with the Symphonic Metal. Love it.

Back to Nightwish; Does anyone know when their movie Imaginaerum is going to be available in the US, I've been wanting to see it ever since the album came out last year.

• 3 weeks later...

^ DSOTM is my third favorite PF album, but I could listen to Animals all day long, it never gets old, especially Pigs, not Pigs On The Wing. But as long as it's PF, it doesn't really matter to me. I will say though, I really love the blend of Time followed by GGITS, it just works really well, and I love the sound of it.

Any other Alter Bridge fans on here? I just finished listening to ABIII front to back and holy crap! Such a fantastic album, I'd put it in my top 3 favorite albums of all time. When people think of Alter Bridge they usually think of Myles Kennedy's singing or the incredible guitar from Mark Tremonti, but nobody talks about the drumming. Scott Philips is a great drummer, and the guy I aim to emulate most in my drumming while still keeping my own style. Alter Bridge is such a good band, up there with Rush and Shinedown as some of my favorite bands.

• 2 weeks later...

Album review time!

Fortress by Alter Bridge: This album hasn't been released yet, but I heard it through an exclusive preview from Loudwire. It's been getting overwhelmingly positive reviews and for good reason. This album blew me away, as did their previous release ABIII. I don't think Fortress tops ABIII, but it's very very close.

Highlights from the album:

Cry of Achilles - Starting off with a bang and in a big way. The acoustic guitar at the beginning makes for one of the best intros I've ever heard. Then the heavy riffs start and then it takes off. When an album starts off as strong as this, you know it's going to be an awesome experience.

Bleed It Dry - Alter Bridge wasn't really known for headbanging songs, but they definitely changed that with this album. This song is heavy! Normally a song like this would have screaming or growling, which I don't really like, but they proved that you don't need that to make a song heavy.

Lover - Don't let the title fool you, this is NOT a love song. In fact it's probably the darkest song AB has ever done. I'm not good at picking out lyrics just by listening, but I heard enough to know that this is a very dark song. The vocal melodies are beautifully done, but this song is the total package. This is one of my favorite ballads by Alter Bridge

The Uninvited - Very different than usual Alter Bridge, it was reminiscent of Schism by Tool which is a great song. When people talk about Alter Bridge they usually talk about either Myles' singing or Mark's guitar playing. But Flip, the drummer, is very underrated and is great in this song.

Edit: After a few more listens I revise my opinion. This is not just my favorite album by AB, it might be my favorite album period. 10/10

Edited by imawesome1124

• 1 month later...

New Warbringer is weird, completely different from their previous material, and just very interesting overall. I'd almost describe it as their Once was Not: a very experimental album with tons of ideas, many of which are wonderful, but also with some that just plain don't work. It's got a lot of prog-thrash, sure, but it also has some melodic death, some power-thrash, a crazy death metal/crossover song, and even something that's basically straight early-mid eighties German speed metal worship ala Living Death and Iron Angel. While it's not their best album, it sure is one that demands repeated listens just to take everything in.

• 4 weeks later...

So, what's everyone's Top 10 lists looking like this year?

I've yet to put mine together, but I will go ahead and say that Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety is my #1 album, and either "Play By Play" or "Ego Free Sex Free" is my #1 song. If you haven't heard it yet, Anxiety is absolutely phenomenal. One of the most unique, fun-to-listen-to albums I've heard in a long, long time.

Others that are going into my Top 10 include, but aren't limited to, Disclosure - Settle, Toro Y Moi - Anything In Return, and Anamanaguchi - Endless Fantasy. 2013 was a fantastic year for electronic music.

My top 5 for 2013 would look like this:

5. Stryper - "No More Hell To Pay" (Christian Glam Metal)

stryper.jpg.494242ee327fd9dbc678a651f4e97b53.jpg

4. The Winery Dogs - "The Winery Dogs" (Blues Rock)

twd.jpg.16102fe41d09d1499658fe9688825a70.jpg

3. Dream Theater - "Dream Theater" (Progressive Metal)

dt.jpg.3cbfd87590643147cc20e0f989548e95.jpg

2. Alter Bridge - "Fortress" (Hard Rock)

ab.jpg.b38783eab8d754e0ae30e0a63a3353ae.jpg

1. Stone Sour - "House of Gold and Bones Part 2" (Alternative Metal)

hogab2.jpg.68991d3deb6fcdfa3c9cd85d827e8d53.jpg

Next year so far I'm looking forward to Tool, Halestorm, Within Temptation, and Epica.

^ They're a supergroup with Richie Kotzen and Billy Sheehan of Mr. Big and Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater. They're basically a revival of classic hard rock with blues influences. Also, if you haven't already, check out Joe Bonamassa if you want some really good blues rock. Twenty years from now he'll be listed among guys like Clapton as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Joe's pretty much single-handedly brought blues rock into mainstream. He's an amazing guitarist with a great voice too.

My top 5 for 2013 would look like this:

5. Stryper - "No More Hell To Pay" (Christian Glam Metal)

[attachment=0]stryper.jpg[/attachment]

4. The Winery Dogs - "The Winery Dogs" (Blues Rock)

[attachment=1]twd.jpg[/attachment]

3. Dream Theater - "Dream Theater" (Progressive Metal)

[attachment=2]dt.jpg[/attachment]

2. Alter Bridge - "Fortress" (Hard Rock)

[attachment=3]ab.jpg[/attachment]

1. Stone Sour - "House of Gold and Bones Part 2" (Alternative Metal)

[attachment=4]hogab2.jpg[/attachment]

Next year so far I'm looking forward to Tool, Halestorm, Within Temptation, and Epica.

Someone watches a lot of TMS!!! They really talk up these bands also........

TMS? If you're talking about That Metal Show I actually don't watch at all. I've been curious about it but never actually sat down and watched it.

If you're into that kind of Music, you should definitely check it out. Three good guys sitting around BS'ing with rock stars and lots of laughs. Guest guitar players and drummers every episode, and lots of informative discussion.

I see you are from Southern MD....where abouts. I am out west in Cumberland. Not really a hot bed for music. The biggest we get is Funny Money/KIX every so often.

Holy crap - just listened to the new Glitch Mob song...their new album drops - anyone else a fan of Glitch Mob or think this song is just really good?

It seems to work good to add on to my 'go to' mix at work to help get me pumped and focused...